• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Ryctor87

Did run it for a week .. hoping every new session would be better.. but that never happened . Maybe I had a duff one (but that points to poor manufacture) but I did listen to just left and right .. both expressed similar traits .. not flat to my ears.

People say that the RME is neutral .. if that means the bass extension is evident and is really tight .. the mids are equisit and both male and female vocals forward of speaker plane and super crystalline highs with nothing fatiguing then yes I agree.
The su-9 was not that beast on the system .. I do hope others are finding it so as I also had aspirations towards.
All I would say is if you get the chance to try or compare the RME ... Do so (if course I think my ears are correct!).

One other thing I noticed on the su-9 is I could detect treble roll off on the slower filters (not enough to solve the problem though) but I have tested recently as having no hearing above 12khz.. does not seem to fit the published graphs?

Some things I mentioned that may be slipping through the net.
I was looking primarily for a speaker setup.

I now have speakers and a room allowing good response down too 27hz and a response above 250hz to 30khz flat to 1db .
The ad18 set flat (believe it or not) has very dynamic lively bass response in this setup (I was looking for better upper mids, highs and soundstage).
As mentioned in this setup to my ears the su-9 combo had less lively and less extended bass and overall seemed to have emphasis in the upper mids drawing attention there.. therefore at lower volumes (always a good test to find things that stick out) it seemed thin by comparison. Of course it's not tinny thin it just wasn't doing what I was used to. As mentioned I tried all filters and eq on both devices but the dynamics in the bass was not there.. not sure if it's phase then or what.

As soon as the RMA was plugged in I had it all nice and balanced more lively and extended bass with the other things I was seeking. Everything better than before.
So yes truth is had I not also ordered the RMA to try I would have sent the su-9 DA-9 back as a not satisfying upgrade .. like all the named brands I tried at this price point before it.

I also mentioned I don't rely heavily on measurements apart from my ears. I don't think there is a good measure (yet) for how the dynamics and transients are represented in real music .. I also don't believe in burn in except for speakers where the glue needs to loosen up.
I do highly reccomend the 3.1 version of ad18 at its price point .. I still think there is something in the full pulse amplifier approach (FDA) for digital listening .. why convert to analogue if you don't need to?

I am happy listening and would be pleased if the su-9 is doing what others folk are looking for. Beginning to wish I had not mentioned it on a measurement hungry forum though..
Hello There!

Wanter to follow up.
After all your thoughts, I needed to confirm and ordered the simpler ADI-2 FS, because the DA sound is the sameas DAC and Pro models, and
I need the AD for my chain,
After careful comparison and listening, I can agree to most of your observations.
I was actually comparing the SU-9 with the old ADI-2.
ADI-2 FS is another beast, including DAC and Pro.
The differences are in the borders of the shapes, in the separation of instruments, because of the more detailed sound in the RME.
SMSL, tends to soft the edges in the low mids, but makes the presentation more textured although less defined.
Both are capable of ultra detail, but RME do not softens nor impose anything in particular.
SMSL imposes weight in the low mids and the shapes are clear but not analytical, as with the RME.
Very holographic sound as every instruments occupies its own space with more authority in the ADI-2 FS.
SU-9 blends a bit the instruments, and the layers are more pronounced in texture, but not as defined in detail.
RME not bright, not harsh. Burn in made a difference after 48 hours.
The AD is beautiful, and printing projects and comparing with my other BB based AD's, the RME is a keeper, very sweet, clear, detailed and real sounding AD.
SMSL is going back, and I wanted to thank you for calling my attention to this newer RME conversion.

Still feel that the SMSL was thicker in the low mids, making the RME more neutral, for mixing and mastering duties (ADDA).

Again, thank you, and happy listening!

All the Best!

Ryctor_

Ryctor87

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.
SU-9 Less harsh and warmer I would indeed call it. Not dark, because it can deliver complex detail with ease, however, the extra weight in the low mids, take away from the attention to detail on the mids and mid hi freq.
If you can try the newer ADI-2 FS, go ahead. It does not have the fancy DSP nor EQ and RTA, but is 400 less and the sound..., plus the AD to print and rip vinyl.

Be well!\\

Ryctor_

JSmith

Master Contributor
SU-9 Less harsh and warmer I would indeed call it. Not dark, because it can deliver complex detail with ease, however, the extra weight in the low mids, take away from the attention to detail on the mids and mid hi freq.
Uh huh...

a96fe072b2acbb87d75c27de8d5fb312_w200.gif

JSmith

Ryctor87

Uh huh...

a96fe072b2acbb87d75c27de8d5fb312_w200.gif

JSmith
Well...

Another anecdote..

Ordered the "improved" Topping D10 Balanced ( I am a big fan of D10s, super transparent DAC).
All Dacs, after a certain threshold, sound the same right? Numbers are numbers, right? Not at all.
The D10 Balanced, with all his numbers, was too Bright and harsh, clearly audible compared to D10S, and all my other DACs.
How can a flat measuring DAC be bright, way brighter, compared to source, to the point of harsh and fatiguing sound? It went back after 2 days.
All this is easily compared through my Heritage RAM2000 monitor controller ( Super transparent analog section for A/B, and BB converters) and using REV and SPL for volume matching.
SMSL was not as detailed (bright?), which can be translated as warm or dark. Same with HD-6.. Series headphones from Senheiser. Flat but dark-veiled, and intimate and detailed at the same time.
E30 , D10S and ADI-2 FS all sounded similar, detailed, transparent, less detail in E30, SMSL different, not better or worst, however, for analytical listening or Mastering Duties, ADI-2 takes the cake.
Uh huh indeed....

Just Listen, volume matched, of course.
Never have judged a DAC only by numbers, that is naive and separated from Real World scenarios like Music Production and Mixing-Mastering.

Cheers!

R_

Ryctor87

I just did, 10 of 10 times I detected the D10 Balanced, blinded with wife changing inputs in RAM2000.
3 DACs in test, BB Ram2000, ESS D10S, and ESS D10 B, the stridently bright D10 Balanced stood out every time.
I wish I have not returned the D10B so I can send both D10S and D10B to you, or anyone interested to try for themselves.

Anything else?

R_

Ryctor87

These are the results I am requesting... assuming properly level matched and blind. Do you have same? If so, please share to correctly ascertain your assertion.

JSmith

I am apparently not alone, please read, exactly how I feel about the D10 Balanced, funny no one talks about it, cus it measures so flat?

Harshly Bright, not the same in- same out as D10S. Meassurements? Ears!

R_

JSmith

Master Contributor
please read, exactly how I feel about the D10 Balanced
Did you read that before trying the D10... and have you considered there may have been a specific problem with the model you returned?

Further, this is a review thread for the SU-9, so it may be prudent to start a new thread on your D10 issues and comparisons. I'd imagine numerous people would be interested...

JSmith

Ryctor87

Did you read that before trying the D10... and have you considered there may have been a specific problem with the model you returned?

Further, this is a review thread for the SU-9, so it may be prudent to start a new thread on your D10 issues and comparisons. I'd imagine numerous people would be interested...

JSmith
You are something else, I will give you that.
Of course, t can be anything other than me or anyone with good trained ears, being able to recognize the D10B Brightness vs a flat DAC, like its brother the D10s.
No specific problem with my model, as I learned that more than three other sources of unbiased reviews, found the same. Yes, after I already learned this by blind, volume matched testing.
The analogy is a proper one for the thread, as the point challenged was me hearing a difference between Su-9 and ADI-2 FS. Thicker low mids in SU-9, how can it be, as it is flat, right?
Uh Huh... Remember?

R_

Ryctor87

What an ignorant attitude. At least the guy tried it and listened, to be able to come to a conclusion.
You, otoh, have not heard nor tested anything, and laugh. I did, and he happen to be right.
You are making a fool of yourself, Sir.
Great Job.

Pity.

JSmith

Master Contributor
You are making a fool of yourself, Sir.
Nah...
You, otoh, have not heard nor tested anything
:facepalm:

JSmith

Ryctor87

Nah...

:facepalm:

JSmith
Again.... Arrogance.
Just FYI, I did this for a living, 11 Years, not with Hi fi gear (lol), but with Professional Recording and Mastering Gear.
Do you know what the Apogee Sound is?
Have you spent time in controlled treated rooms with Hi end monitoring chains, testing DACS?

Psst..

R_

JSmith

Master Contributor
Again.... Arrogance.
I can't help but feel you're on the wrong forum bud... this is ASR, so a quick 3 line post about your test is a great start, but we need more than that here... that is all I'm saying. There is no need to wave your wang around about experience either, that has nothing to do with this discussion and casting aspersions reflects poorly on you to be quite frank.

I and other members would be very interested in some solid, provable and repeatable test data to support this assertion... ya know, the science bit? The onus is on you here, not me... you're making the claims.

JSmith

Ryctor87

I can't help but feel you're on the wrong forum bud... this is ASR, so a quick 3 line post about your test is a great start, but we need more than that here... that is all I'm saying. There is no need to wave your wang around about experience either, that has nothing to do with this discussion and casting aspersions reflects poorly on you to be quite frank.

I and other members would be very interested in some solid, provable and repeatable test data to support this assertion... ya know, the science bit? The onus is on you here, not me... you're making the claims.

JSmith
LOL!
I know where I am.
You need?
I don't need to do anything. I come from a Scientific background, Natural Science BA.
Did my research and documented it. It was conclusive and repeatable.
Further, same result in blind test were found.
I am sharing my results, and of course, I get that maybe the gear was defective. LOL!
It was not that hard, that is how Bright the D10Balanced is.
Try it, only 139.00 on Amazon. and return it after comparing.
Better than reading about it. That is what I actually did.
But you know better, and you laugh.

Ignorance is blessed...

R_

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok guys i got 4 Dacs to chose from the D50, D1SE or the SU-9 or the D300
Can't you just make a thread for your dilemma instead of posting in all these separate review threads?
I'd just get the D50 or SU-9. Or the D300 if you want something exotic. Or whatever is cheapest..

Top Bottom