• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Cisco150

Can't you just make a thread for your dilemma instead of posting in all these separate review threads?
I'd just get the D50 or SU-9. Or the D300 if you want something exotic. Or whatever is cheapest..
I already did but not everyone looks at new post and on the review post most have them on hand. And it ain't about cheapest money not a problem but want a good dac for under $1000.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I already did but not everyone looks at new post and on the review post most have them on hand. And it ain't about cheapest money not a problem but want a good dac for under $1000.

You got 30 responses from the thread you started. Can you please stop spamming numerous threads with this?
Thanks.

Cisco150

You got 30 responses from the thread you started. Can you please stop spamming numerous threads with this?
Thanks.
Delete all my posts from othere threads not from the one I started. I thought the hole purpose of these forms was to ask and interact. And help each other

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Delete all my posts from othere threads not from the one I started. I thought the hole purpose of these forms was to ask and interact. And help each other

No need to do that, just trying to keep things contained. It can get messy when the same questions are showing up in multiple threads.

It's an active place...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok got it. Just going to get the d1se and call it a day. Hope it's a good one. So many Dame Dac lol

I think you'll be happy with whatever you end up with! Let us know what you think when you get it.

ben446

I've had this unit for just about two weeks, and I can report there is absolutely no noise from the unit physically, or through my headphones or speakers. Not sure if this dealer had it confused for a different product, but I haven't heard any reports of humming or power supply noise at all.

According to Amir's measurements at 99 volume you get 5.3 volts output, which is perfectly fine to feed into the SH-9. Absolute best SINAD is just below that which gives you 4.7 volts out, and 121.6 SINAD. There is only 1db SINAD difference here 120db vs 121db between 94 or 99 volume, so honestly either way I doubt the difference is audible.

If you need 4.0 volts out exactly for some reason, which is a bit of a standard for XLR output, you can lower the volume to 94 to achieve that. This could come in handy if you're feeding a different amplifier, or other pro audio gear that is designed for 4.0 volts over XLR.

I use my SU-9 at fixed 99 volume with my SH-9 as that's easiest, and it sounds wonderful. On low gain, I seem to end up between 20-30 volume on the SH-9 most of the time with Hifiman Ananda, and Focal elex, and maybe 34-40 volume with Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Hope that helps.
So if I am reading this correctly, there is a 'volume' setting on the su-9 that gives 4.7 volts and therefore the best SINAD of 121.6. Anyone know what this 'volume' setting is?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if I am reading this correctly, there is a 'volume' setting on the su-9 that gives 4.7 volts and therefore the best SINAD of 121.6. Anyone know what this 'volume' setting is?
4v is 94, full is presumably 100 @5.2v so somewhere around 98 is probably 4.7. Won't matter!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So there is no advantage SINAD wise to turn off pre mode?
Doesn't look like it to any meaningful degree. Honestly wouldnt worry about it either way.

Last edited:

ben446

Is the SINAD for the RCA outs the same as the XLRs at roughly 2v? (I think someone measured the RCA outs at 2.7v)

Last edited:

MalinYamato

I have a Khadas Tone Pro and SMSL M500 but those do not stack well with my singxer sa-1 and I don't need the amp portion of the DAC because I have the SA-1. This DAC has gotten lovely reviews and has climbed to the top of my next to get DAC list, also because it seems the most future-proof with the greatest BL profiles, or are there even better ones at this price and form factor?

Last edited:

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I decided to roll the dice and order an SU-9 from Amazon U.S., from the "SMSL Store" seller. For anyone wondering, these now appear to be new stock with upgraded firmware - I am trusting the information that @Ryctor87 provided that there is no "2020" in the version information screen. It also came with 4 new stick-on feet to address the tri-pod feet issue (there are still on 3 on the unit's bottom, but this is easily fixed now).

Performance of the unit seems to be superb, everything works as far as I can tell after two days. I also purchased the SMSL AO200 amp to use with this DAC in preamp mode and it matches up well (and actually drives my Wharfdale Lintons quite adequately). This combination is black silent with no signal, and the amp at max volume, very impressive.

luxpiotr

SMSL SU-9 is booring, flat dac like all delta-sigma. No pleasure to listen at all. Features ofc are great. If you want to listen music not sounds you should buy something else - Chord or R2R is good way.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL SU-9 is booring, flat dac like all delta-sigma. No pleasure to listen at all. Features ofc are great. If you want to listen music not sounds you should buy something else - Chord or R2R is good way.

So how exactly do Chord DACs inject musicality into the sound?

MalinYamato

So how exactly do Chord DACs inject musicality into the sound?
I don't know the tech inside the box but I love the magic that comes out of it -- tell me more about it. I was in the impression that DAC consists of boring circuits that should translate as true to the source as possible, but is there an orchestra in the DAC as well that adds joy and love to the sound for more pleasure than what was originally intended?
download (7).jpeg

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
booring, flat dac like all delta-sigma.
Correct, it's a transparent DAC so should not have a "sound"... why would you want a DAC to do that when it's job is simply to convert digital to analogue without colouration?

JSmith

Ryctor87

I don't know the tech inside the box but I love the magic that comes out of it -- tell me more about it. I was in the impression that DAC consists of boring circuits that should translate as true to the source as possible, but is there an orchestra in the DAC as well that adds joy and love to the sound for more pleasure than what was originally intended?
View attachment 189237
No. You are talking about tube amps, Sir...

Top Bottom