• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Philong

Does this Dac has auto turn on/off function? Or we have to turn it off manually everytime we dont use it?

Ryctor87

Hello.Show a photo of the display with the updated firmware number.Many people are interested!
Hello to all,
Trying to figure this out before returning to Amazon.
I noticed this...
Every Version Screen I seen have the Year 2020 on it, mine does not!
Here is my Version Screen.
I believe this can serve as a difference between old and new Firmware.
I received this from Amazon, no side serial sticker, no DAC# Serial, long serial at bottom, and no 2020 in Version screen.
Serial# 3460010300196.
Can anyone with the new Firmware confirm their Version screen to see if this is the one for the updated Firmware?

Thanks to all!

Ryctor_

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

KenM10759

The remote control for mine didn't work and they wouldn't send a replacement. They wanted me to return the whole thing and they'd ship me a new one. Too much bother. If I'm going to have to undo the balanced connections, co-ax input and power supply, the hell with it. Ordered a Gustard DAC X16 and swapped it out with THAT. Just as easy, matches the finish on my integrated amp, and I like the sound better. Big win for me, S.M.S.L. is the loser.

Ryctor87

Hello to all,
Trying to figure this out before returning to Amazon.
I noticed this...
Every Version Screen I seen have the Year 2020 on it, mine does not!
Here is my Version Screen.
I believe this can serve as a difference between old and new Firmware.
I received this from Amazon, no side serial sticker, no DAC# Serial, long serial at bottom, and no 2020 in Version screen.
Serial# 3460010300196.
Can anyone with the new Firmware confirm their Version screen to see if this is the one for the updated Firmware?

Thanks to all!

Ryctor_
Hello to all!

I want to thank everyone that provided support, in one way or the other, with this issue.
Hopefully this will help.
Just received word from Vendor, and my unit is new and updated with New Firmware.
I measured it, and left and right are showing equally good. so, if you have the same Version screen as
I do, with no "2020" Year, you are all set and good to go.

I hope this can help anyone trying to determine if their unit is updated or not.

The sound is detailed, smooth, not fatiguing, a lot of resolution without harshness.
Can listed for hours.
Great implementation of the ESS chip, this is end game for me.
SMSL SU-9 and SP-200, my new Monitoring setup, I want another one for the chain to AD back to the box.

Have fun and happy listening!
All the Best!
Ryctor_

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.51.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.51.58 AM.png
    694.9 KB · Views: 137

cheapsoundguy

Hello all,

I just got an SU-9. I plugged (XLR) it into my Little Dot Mk VII+ headphone amp with Denon AH7000 -- sounded great! Vol was set to 99, with actual volume control by the headphone amp. Content was from Apple Music from my Macbook Pro via USB.

I then tried balanced input into my Outlaw 2200 Monoblock amps via XLR balanced. Speakers are new Bowers and Wilkins 702 S2 with around 90db of sensitivity.

I also tried RCA. Same hiss.

I previously had a Yamaha TSR-7050 with RCA out into the Outlaw amps and don't recall this amount of hiss.

Edit: I tried the Outlaw monoblocks disconnected from the SU-9 or any source. Almost the same amount of hiss. Is there a way to troubleshoot this on the Outlaws, or do I need to get new Amps with my new source/speakers?

Any ideas/tips/help? Is the problem with the SU-9 or the Outlaw amps or?

Last edited:

ABSNimes

@cheapsoundguy
You've got the hiss without anything connected to your 2 monoblocks Outlaw, that's the fact.
I'll suggest you to read about ground loops scheme within Outlaw diagrams papers.

Best advice is to ask manufacturer about encountered hiss trouble, especially relative to grounding scheme/advices.
Let us know about your investigations.

bYOndo

Hi,
I switched from my previous M500 to this SU-9 (Amazon refunded me even if M500 was almost 2 years old), because I was having problems with my new TV set (a TCL C725, for the record), with its toslink signal always losing sync. SU-9 DPLL feature was my main selling point: I raised it to 9 (from default 7) and now my tv sound is perfect.
Another big difference from the M500 is the (great) bluetooth integration, but I don't understand how to use UAT protocol with my Android smartphone. Anyone?
And about the infamous 3rd octave distortion bug: "they said" I had it with M500 but never bothered that much (I didn't use headphones with it, and through my loudspeakers I admit I never noticed it). Now my new SU-9 has a s/n starting with "37" and no "2020" on the info settings, just for the record once more ;)
Overall I'm very happy with my new buying (it solved my tv audio problem first of all)!

Ported

Hi .. first post here .. not often too worried about measurements you see...

Thought this may be of interest to some wondering about purchasing this DAC. Sorry if it drags on but the history may be of use too..

I built some IPL transmission line speakers during second lockdown in the UK. They had been powered by my old smsl ad18 but I figured with an 800 gbp budget I should be able to better my sound. The match to the ad18 was v good (can't believe the test done here was on the version 3.1 but that's another matter.. still think if you only have 130 pounds for a DAC and amp and use mainly digital input you should try one).

I tried various integrated offerings NAD 3020, Cambridge CXA 61 , bluesound node all of which sounded smooth but none of which sounded punchy and exiting...yes the ad18 sounds punchy and exiting on responsive speakers it seems. In my mind fails only in the higher registers and some soundstage imaging.

So just before Xmas I ordered the su-9 and the DA-9 but also ordered the RMA ADI 2 as a comparison. The smsl boxes arrived a week before the RMA (managed to get that for 750 gbp on black Friday so I had to try it!) I spent a week trying to get a satisfying sound with the smsl combo .. always fiddling (never listening much). The review shows the DAC as flat but for me compared to the ad18 it was thin sounding .. difficult to describe but as an ageing sound engineer I would have looked for a peak around 3k to 4k. It was not harsh but almost like too much information existed at these frequencies compared to all the others so it sounded thin especially at lower volumes.

I could obviously not know if this was the amp or the DAC at this stage... RMA arrived so I set everything to flat plugged it in to the DA-9 .. listened to music for hours and hours on end only Investigating the value added stuff on the RMA days later. Sonic heaven.

This pushed me over budget so I tried some old class AB power amps and some old tripath stuff I still had but nothing would come near the RMA DA-9 combination.

N.B. there is a problem with the combo because the smsl remote is on the same channel as the RMA (but not the other way around?? .. strange). But I just use the DA-9 as a power amp and all is very good.

The difference in sound is way more than just noticeable and the extra functions on the DAC + a high quality headphone amp made it a no brainer in the end .. I whole heartedly reccomend both the RMA and the DA-9.. Amazon has taken the su-9 back thankfully..

Hope it helps some with budgeting and choices..

Ported

Also meant to add .. on the theme of measurements.. the RMA allows you to reduce the ESS correction taking the distortion back to 0.1 % and guess what .. I would part with a crate of beer for anyone who can hear the difference in a blind test!

Ryctor87

Also meant to add .. on the theme of measurements.. the RMA allows you to reduce the ESS correction taking the distortion back to 0.1 % and guess what .. I would part with a crate of beer for anyone who can hear the difference in a blind test!
Hello there!
I am new here as well.
Really appreciate all who contribute to this very special place.

I came from the Studio. Worked in the MI for the Recording Studio Scene for over a decade now.
Was able to place together Demos for Top Producers and Studio Recording Facilities (Criteria, Studio Center, Circle House) on the top AD/DA Brands, on site, for them to select their favorite, completely subjective. The gear stayed sometimes for a week, so they could compare and choose.
Brands like Burl, Benchmark, Avid, Apogee and Dangerous Music, Weiss, Crane Song.

In every case, the DA of each unit needed to be turned on and passing audio for a good two days,
for the Electronics to settle and the buzz and shrillness, that I found naturally present in any out of box brand new DA that I have tried (same for mic Preamps. SS or Tube).

No difference with the SU-9. I played well known recordings in HI-Res, and the shrillness and fuzz,
almost make me feel that this was a pro-sumer device. Monitors Neumann KH120
I let it run for a week, and came back. I was wrong.
Thin? (Again, subjective, with respect...) Not here...
The thickness of the bass and the textures in the low mid and mids, make this device perfect for mixing.
Compared with Crane Song Avocet, Heritage RAM2000, Dangerous Source, the detail, resolution and layers are very defined and help to position instruments in the stereo field very easily. Instruments pop out from the black background, like if someone is whispering in your ear sometimes. Nothing trying to make the audio prettier, just honest, thick, layered sound.
OTOH, one of the most used DA for Monitoring, mixing and Mastering, Dangerous, sounded a bit augmented in the mids, perfect for mixing, however, I found the SU-9 more honest to the track.
A great representation of the space where the tracks were recorded. Reminds me Apogee Symphony DA. The measurements say the same, but I tend to use my ears, you cannot mix what you cannot hear.I do not hear numbers.
I wonder what your thoughts would be if you kept the SU-9 and let it go through some audio so everything settles.
And, with respect to all please, do not start the burn in is brain getting used to, I did not listened for a week, and electronics, including caps, transformers, tubes and opamps do sound different (not better) after the initial 48 hours of playback.
Not saying that you would not have still preferred the RME, but I have had some RME (ADI-2 FS Pro) conversion here as well, and the SU-9 wins.
Go figure, I found the ADI-2 thin, with great detail, but nothing to do with the impact and textured thickness of the bass and mid bass on the SU-9. Mids is where the MIx is. (Pop, Folk, some EDM, Rock and Fusion). All subjective, I know, but...
Blind tested, volume matched to .01 db. wife switching the RAM2000. SU-9 wins.
Also preferred SMSL SP200 headphone amp, compared to Apogee, RME ADI-2 and Heritage RAM2000 diamond buffered headphone amps.
If I needed PEQ ( I dont, plenty of plugins and an Elysia XFiter on the Master Bus), or DSP, a nice display, etc, the ADI-2 wins. But the SU-9 is still here.
Horses for Courses, just leveling the field a bit.

Happy listening to all.

R_

Ported

Hello there!
I am new here as well.

I came from the Studio. Worked in the MI for the Recording Studio Scene for over a decade now.
Was able to place together Demos for Top Producers and Studio Recording Facilities (Criteria, Studio Center, Circle House) on the top AD/DA Brands, on site, for them to select their favorite, completely subjective. The gear stayed sometimes for a week, so they could compare and choose.
Brands like Burl, Benchmark, Avid, Apogee and Dangerous Music, Weiss, Crane Song.

In every case, the DA of each unit needed to be turned on and passing audio for a good two days,
for the Electronics to settle and the buzz and shrillness, that I found naturally present in any out of box brand new DA that I have tried (same for mic Preamps. SS or Tube).

No difference with the SU-9. I played well known recordings in HI-Res, and the shrillness and fuzz,
The thickness of the bass and the textures in the low mid and mids, make this device perfect for mixing.
Compared with Crane Song Avocet, Heritage RAM2000, Dangerous Source, the detail, resolution and layers are very defined and help to position instruments in the stereo field very easily. Instruments pop out from the black background, like if someone is whispering in your ear sometimes. Nothing trying to make the audio prettier, just honest, thick, layered sound.
OTOH, one of the most used DA for Monitoring, mixing and Mastering, Dangerous, sounded a bit augmented in the mids, perfect for mixing, however, I found the SU-9 more honest to the track.
A great representation of the space where the tracks were recorded. Reminds me Apogee Symphony DA. The measurements say the same, but I tend to use my ears, you cannot mix what you cannot hear.I do not hear numbers.
I wonder what your thoughts would be if you kept the SU-9 and let it go through some audio so everything settles.
And, with respect to all please, do not start the burn in is brain getting used to, I did not listened for a week, and electronics, including caps, transformers, tubes and opamps do sound different (not better) after the initial 48 hours of playback.
Not saying that you would not have still preferred the RME, but I have had some RME (ADI-2 FS Pro) conversion here as well, and the SU-9 wins.
Go figure, I found the ADI-2 thin, with great detail, but nothing to do with the impact and textured thickness of the bass and mid bass on the SU-9. Mids is where the MIx is. (Pop, Folk, some EDM, Rock and Fusion). All subjective, I know, but...
Also preferred SMSL SP200 headphone amp, compared to Apogee, RME ADI-2 and Heritage RAM2000 diamond buffered headphone amps.
If I needed PEQ ( I dont, plenty of plugins and an Elysia XFiter on the Master Bus), or DSP, a nice display, etc, the ADI-2 wins. But the SU-9 is still here.

Happy listening to all.

R_
Did run it for a week .. hoping every new session would be better.. but that never happened . Maybe I had a duff one (but that points to poor manufacture) but I did listen to just left and right .. both expressed similar traits .. not flat to my ears.

People say that the RME is neutral .. if that means the bass extension is evident and is really tight .. the mids are equisit and both male and female vocals forward of speaker plane and super crystalline highs with nothing fatiguing then yes I agree.
The su-9 was not that beast on the system .. I do hope others are finding it so as I also had aspirations towards.
All I would say is if you get the chance to try or compare the RME ... Do so (if course I think my ears are correct!).

One other thing I noticed on the su-9 is I could detect treble roll off on the slower filters (not enough to solve the problem though) but I have tested recently as having no hearing above 12khz.. does not seem to fit the published graphs?

Ryctor87

Hello there!
I am new here as well.

Did run it for a week .. hoping every new session would be better.. but that never happened . Maybe I had a duff one (but that points to poor manufacture) but I did listen to just left and right .. both expressed similar traits .. not flat to my ears.

People say that the RME is neutral .. if that means the bass extension is evident and is really tight .. the mids are equisit and both male and female vocals forward of speaker plane and super crystalline highs with nothing fatiguing then yes I agree.
The su-9 was not that beast on the system .. I do hope others are finding it so as I also had aspirations towards.
All I would say is if you get the chance to try or compare the RME ... Do so (if course I think my ears are correct!).

One other thing I noticed on the su-9 is I could detect treble roll off on the slower filters (not enough to solve the problem though) but I have tested recently as having no hearing above 12khz.. does not seem to fit the published graphs?
I remember thinking that the SU-9 was Dark! And also thought it was not flat.
Same with the RNHP. Measures Ruler Flat, and jet you hear a warm sound, like the Sennheiser Veil, on one of the most used Studio Headphones.
Its Presentation, I noticed things on the SU-9 that I had never heard before on any DAC. The information has always been there, SU-9 showed it to me.
Is your room treated?
Low end can cancel itself with standing waves in a room.
I just cannot conceive the sound from the SU-9 as thin. Mostly vs RME conversion, which have been described many times as thin, analytical, boring. I find it dry and fatiguing. I think you like the display too much... LOL! Did you did a blind test?
Again, completely subjective, as both measure superb, and are ruler flat in the FR.
Horses for Courses.

Ryctor87

I remember thinking that the SU-9 was Dark! And also thought it was not flat.
Same with the RNHP. Measures Ruler Flat, and jet you hear a warm sound, like the Sennheiser Veil, on one of the most used Studio Headphones.
Its Presentation, I noticed things on the SU-9 that I had never heard before on any DAC. The information has always been there, SU-9 showed it to me.
Is your room treated?
Low end can cancel itself with standing waves in a room.
I just cannot conceive the sound from the SU-9 as thin. Mostly vs RME conversion, which have been described many times as thin, analytical, boring. I find it dry and fatiguing. I think you like the display too much... LOL! Did you did a blind test?
Again, completely subjective, as both measure superb, and are ruler flat in the FR.
Horses for Courses.
Also, I just noticed, Do you preferred the AD18 to the SU-9? How is that possible?
AD18 better DAC, SU-9 thin? RME extended bass? I will advise you check your room...
Happy listening!

Attachments

• SMSL AD18 DAC SINAD Audio Measurements.png
    SMSL AD18 DAC SINAD Audio Measurements.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 134

Ported

Hello there!
I am new here as well.

Happy listening to all.

R_

Also, I just noticed, Do you preferred the AD18 to the SU-9? How is that possible?
AD18 better DAC, SU-9 thin? RME extended bass? I will advise you check your room...
Happy listening!
Some things I mentioned that may be slipping through the net.
I was looking primarily for a speaker setup.

I now have speakers and a room allowing good response down too 27hz and a response above 250hz to 30khz flat to 1db .
The ad18 set flat (believe it or not) has very dynamic lively bass response in this setup (I was looking for better upper mids, highs and soundstage).
As mentioned in this setup to my ears the su-9 combo had less lively and less extended bass and overall seemed to have emphasis in the upper mids drawing attention there.. therefore at lower volumes (always a good test to find things that stick out) it seemed thin by comparison. Of course it's not tinny thin it just wasn't doing what I was used to. As mentioned I tried all filters and eq on both devices but the dynamics in the bass was not there.. not sure if it's phase then or what.

As soon as the RMA was plugged in I had it all nice and balanced more lively and extended bass with the other things I was seeking. Everything better than before.
So yes truth is had I not also ordered the RMA to try I would have sent the su-9 DA-9 back as a not satisfying upgrade .. like all the named brands I tried at this price point before it.

I also mentioned I don't rely heavily on measurements apart from my ears. I don't think there is a good measure (yet) for how the dynamics and transients are represented in real music .. I also don't believe in burn in except for speakers where the glue needs to loosen up.
I do highly reccomend the 3.1 version of ad18 at its price point .. I still think there is something in the full pulse amplifier approach (FDA) for digital listening .. why convert to analogue if you don't need to?

I am happy listening and would be pleased if the su-9 is doing what others folk are looking for. Beginning to wish I had not mentioned it on a measurement hungry forum though..

FOB69

Hi,

Is it possible to switch off the two blue ligth lines on top and bottom of the display ? Is it lcd a led up and down the display ?
Do you know if the bluetooth is of when the blue tooth input is not selected ?

B.

Gene LeClair

Am I the only one who has experienced heavy jitter with this device?

The jitter was audible the first time I was using my device. I was listening to "Another one bites the dust" by "Queen", with USB connection from my laptop. The song has a distinctive bass line and the bass became very "lazy" sounding and had trouble to stay in key. It kinda sounded like when your casette player is running out of battery (if you remember the Sony Walkman in the 90s).

You can find a great example of jitter here. The last sample at the bottom is a song from "Vanish Ark" and you can find the original version vs. WOW jitter version.
http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/what-does-jitter-sound-like

The WOW jitter version is exactly how SU-9 sometimes sounds like. According to the author, it should be unrealistic for a digital system to have jitter like that. So what is going on here?

The issue is not dependent on the source, it happens with Bluetooth as well (Bluetooth is what I use the most).

I've also tried turning the DPLL setting to minimum, but I can't say if it helped yet. Has anyone else played around with it? Is there any reason not to set it to absolute minimum?

Cisco150

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.

Top Bottom