• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

archerious

The problem I have seen mentioned many times, and from the descriptions of the issue it is likely TV's poor jitter performance on the digital signal output.
D90SE does not seem to have adjustable DPLL setting, while the SU-9 does have this feature which can be set to tolerate sources with poor jitter performance.
I am not sure about certain TV models, but maybe you could find someone who has a DAC with adjustable DPLL setting and see if it can overcome the issue. Or maybe you can find a cheap DAC with adjustable DPLL setting and get it from a seller with easy returns (Amazon etc).
That’s great news.

I will give the SU-9 a try as Amazon has a great return policy. Hopefully this will be the lucky one. :D

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That’s great news.

I will give the SU-9 a try as Amazon has a great return policy. Hopefully this will be the lucky one. :D
Ok. DPLL setting displays as a number between 1 & 14 if I remember correctly. You set it at Minimum, then slowly bring the number up towards 14 until the issue stops.
Certain audio content may still cause the issue, in which case set it 1 number higher again and then see how it goes for awhile.
If the jitter is so bad from the TV that it still happens at level 14 then you will have to return it.

cecelo01

20211017_212942.jpg

On my second system, via optical connection, my TV is connected to SU9. Here, I leave the DPLL at level 6. I never had any problems.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
That’s great news.

Have a look at the SU-9n instead

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
300,000 views in about a month for a DAC review. Incredible! :)

cecelo01

I really like SU9. Excellent dac. Receives the signal in UAT transmitting from my R2. Its digital connections also have great performance.

archerious

Have a look at the SU-9n instead
Didn't want to wait weeks for arrival. I went su9 and my luck is bad.

Mine has a defective volume knob. If I try to move it the knob falls off. Then I pop it back on for it to fall again.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Didn't want to wait weeks for arrival. I went su9 and my luck is bad.

Mine has a defective volume knob. If I try to move it the knob falls off. Then I pop it back on for it to fall again.
Serious reply--not trying to be a smart-ass: Why not put some glue or something like blu-tack on it?

John57

Anyone have a favorite filter to use with this? I started with Slow Minimum but after a while felt it was too soft and went to the default Fast Linear. After experimenting Slow Linear seems to be the most natural via my amp.
I did find that the Slow Minimum to be very smooth and not quite as detailed sounding. I just got the su-9 today to replace my Topping D90 which seems to have degraded sound quality and lower output over time. Using XLR outputs. The manual states that menu has the options to switch outputs, but there is none. Currently, trying the Slow Linear and change the DLL to 4 which seem to be the sweet spot so far.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
I did find that the Slow Minimum to be very smooth and not quite as detailed sounding. I just got the su-9 today to replace my Topping D90 which seems to have degraded sound quality and lower output over time. Using XLR outputs. The manual states that menu has the options to switch outputs, but there is none. Currently, trying the Slow Linear and change the DLL to 4 which seem to be the sweet spot so far.
I'm pretty surprised by this reliability issues of D90, can you give more details? Did you make sure it is not an impression?

John57

First the D90 did not like to have both XLR and single-ended outputs driven at the same time at all, distorted even when there is a menu option saying that you can do it. The pre-amp section of the D90 is not very good. I have the SU-9 XLR connected to the MOTU Ultralite mk5 allowing me to have just one output of the SU-9 connected and active. I do not need the pre-amp section of the SU-9 since my MOTU has that duties. While both MOTU and SU-9 have ESS DAC chips they sound quite different. My reference DAC is the Denafrips Pontus. This is only my second day having the SU-9.

G-rig

Chinafi is pretty wild..
Still waiting on my refund from Amazon.. they had to send back to the seller first.. been a while now.

KenM10759

I just ordered one of these S.M.S.L SU-9 DAC's from the seller on Amazon. I did this because I need a good DAC with balanced outputs sooner rather than later and the Gustard X16 I ordered first turned out to be 30 to 45 days away so I canceled it.

Now I've found this thread and read through the last few pages and I'm very confused. Am I going to get an updated unit that's current product? I saw no indication on the Amazon listing that mentioned an SU-9n model. Is there anything I should check when I get it?

John57

The S.M.S.L SU-9n now show up on Amazon with 15% discount. The SU-9n is without MQA.

KenM10759

The S.M.S.L SU-9n now show up on Amazon with 15% discount. The SU-9n is without MQA.

The one I bought shows MQA (and I have a small library of MQA files) so is it the current model and will that have up-to-date firmware? Any issues I should be aware of when I get it Saturday and connect it to my Bluesound Vault 2 for feed and balanced connections for output?

BTW, I don't think this Bluesound Vault 2 can output digital via USB, so my choices are SPDIF co-ax or Toslink. Is the co-ax output capable of up to 24/192?

Thanks!

G-rig

I just ordered one of these S.M.S.L SU-9 DAC's from the seller on Amazon. I did this because I need a good DAC with balanced outputs sooner rather than later and the Gustard X16 I ordered first turned out to be 30 to 45 days away so I canceled it.

Now I've found this thread and read through the last few pages and I'm very confused. Am I going to get an updated unit that's current product? I saw no indication on the Amazon listing that mentioned an SU-9n model. Is there anything I should check when I get it?
Not sure which country but could most likely be old stock ie the one with the problem. I just message them to confirm and maybe cancel and order directly from Shenzhen audio (to save yourself some grief retuning it etc). Or perhaps maybe ask for a discount.

Personally don't see the point of getting one without mqa, you are buying these for the rich feature list, but do sound pretty good.
The one I bought shows MQA (and I have a small library of MQA files) so is it the current model and will that have up-to-date firmware? Any issues I should be aware of when I get it Saturday and connect it to my Bluesound Vault 2 for feed and balanced connections for output?

BTW, I don't think this Bluesound Vault 2 can output digital via USB, so my choices are SPDIF co-ax or Toslink. Is the co-ax output capable of up to 24/192?

Thanks!
I'd just test it out and make sure no issues and check it works. I'd still ask them to clarify if it's an updated firmware unit or not. Quite frankly I don't think anyone can even hear or know what the third harmonic problem is, but I didn't want it particularly given can't update any firmware yourself. I couldn't get the drivers working with windows, but there was a turn on/off pop with my speakers. Have fun getti the remote to work the first time (they give instructions so not that bad). Still good support going through Amazon if any issues.

Here's the manual https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/12.html

Doesn't specifically mention max resolution for optical in but I'd just go coax and see, it will be at least 96kHz. Ldac Bluetooth is handy on these and sounds great from Android phones

Last edited:

KenM10759

Not sure which country but could most likely be old stock ie the one with the problem. I just message them to confirm and maybe cancel and order directly from Shenzhen audio (to save yourself some grief retuning it etc). Or perhaps maybe ask for a discount.

Personally don't see the point of getting one without mqa, you are buying these for the rich feature list, but do sound pretty good.

I'd just test it out and make sure no issues and check it works. I'd still ask them to clarify if it's an updated firmware unit or not. Quite frankly I don't think anyone can even hear or know what the third harmonic problem is, but I didn't want it particularly given can't update any firmware yourself. I couldn't get the drivers working with windows, but there was a turn on/off pop with my speakers. Have fun getti the remote to work the first time (they give instructions so not that bad). Still good support going through Amazon if any issues.

Here's the manual https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/12.html

Doesn't specifically mention max resolution for optical in but I'd just go coax and see, it will be at least 96kHz. Ldac Bluetooth is handy on these and sounds great from Android phones

I'm in the USA. Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll have to see if is allows setting to a fixed output as the Bluesound Vault 2 does, because I want volume to be controlled by the remote for my Luxman L-505uX Mark2 integrated amp. I probably won't use 1/2 the features that it has, just trying to see if I can discern a difference in DAC's as many say the Bluesound DAC isn't that great. Weird that I think it's terrific, and never noticed much difference when using the ESS Sabre chipset of my previous NAD Masters M10.

I won't using any app they have, nor any interface with Windows. I don't want a PC running in my listening room and that's why I've adopted BluOS to handle digital music.

G-rig

I'm in the USA. Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll have to see if is allows setting to a fixed output as the Bluesound Vault 2 does, because I want volume to be controlled by the remote for my Luxman L-505uX Mark2 integrated amp. I probably won't use 1/2 the features that it has, just trying to see if I can discern a difference in DAC's as many say the Bluesound DAC isn't that great. Weird that I think it's terrific, and never noticed much difference when using the ESS Sabre chipset of my previous NAD Masters M10.

I won't using any app they have, nor any interface with Windows. I don't want a PC running in my listening room and that's why I've adopted BluOS to handle digital music.
Yes it's got a preamp mode (the vol displays 99) so that should work. I also wanted something with a volume control and remote to use with my activite monitors. Using volumio with hardware mixer so from the app/PC that's on full volume output. Easy Only using my dacs vol control in my case

Top Bottom