• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

BAMCIS

Has anyone listened to both this and the Modius? I have a Modius and it sounds good, thinking about getting one of these to run direct to amplifiers unless it would be a step down in SQ. I use the Modius with a Freya S and so it loses a couple db in SINAD so maybe it's on par with this DAC used with it's volume control.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Has anyone listened to both this and the Modius? I have a Modius and it sounds good, thinking about getting one of these to run direct to amplifiers unless it would be a step down in SQ. I use the Modius with a Freya S and so it loses a couple db in SINAD so maybe it's on par with this DAC used with it's volume control.
Really inexpensive unit, why don't you go for it anyway?

BAMCIS

Can anyone speak to the parts selection here (as in op amps) compared to the Schiit Modius? Also, this DAC doesn't use the regular ESS 9038PRO chip, what compromises are there? Is it the same ESS chip used in the AQ Dragonfly? An extra $50 seems like a good deal for volume control, better chip (?) and AC mains power over the Modius mini USB power and AKM4493 chip. My Modius sounds good but it's my only source so I just don't need a pre amp and I doubt Schiit is never going to give us a DAC with volume control.

Veri

Master Contributor
Can anyone speak to the parts selection here (as in op amps) compared to the Schiit Modius? Also, this DAC doesn't use the regular ESS 9038PRO chip, what compromises are there? Is it the same ESS chip used in the AQ Dragonfly?
Same as Dragonfly Cobalt. SU-8 is just a DAC though, as far as I see it has no hardware volume control.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Can anyone speak to the parts selection here (as in op amps) compared to the Schiit Modius? Also, this DAC doesn't use the regular ESS 9038PRO chip, what compromises are there? Is it the same ESS chip used in the AQ Dragonfly? An extra $50 seems like a good deal for volume control, better chip (?) and AC mains power over the Modius mini USB power and AKM4493 chip. My Modius sounds good but it's my only source so I just don't need a pre amp and I doubt Schiit is never going to give us a DAC with volume control.

If the SMSL SU8 does not correspond to your use case, try to find another product corresponding to your needs. Now this is a pretty old stuff in the Chinese way of life, you can find better specs for less money maybe.

I use mine every day and at the moment I was searching for a DAC with XLR output, it was the best compromise. Good measurements, low price, and I do not care the chip inside, the same for other components. Implementation is to my point of view more important than the brand.

svenz

I've also started getting this USB not recognized issue that other people have mentioned in the thread. It doesn't show up at all, and even cycling through the menu doesn't work. If I unplug it completely and plug it in a few times it starts to work again. Really annoying! Has anyone had luck in determining the issue?

mikeburns

I've also started getting this USB not recognized issue that other people have mentioned in the thread. It doesn't show up at all, and even cycling through the menu doesn't work. If I unplug it completely and plug it in a few times it starts to work again. Really annoying! Has anyone had luck in determining the issue?
I believe it is because the su8 switches the power off to the connection when it is not in use. Annoying in some applications for sure. I never figured out a way of fixing it with my raspberry pi connected via USB. Funny though as the chrome cast never lost connection... My workaround was to restart moode which then found the connection every time it dropped. It certainly reduces the functionality of being able to switch inputs easily.

ClosDeBen

I have recurring troulbe with no output after non-use for several days. USB Input from an iMac, balanced outputs to Elac Active towers. The iMac recognizes the SU-8 but no output other than an occasional crackle when I'm using the remote and changing menu options. Last thing I recall working was leaving it unplugged for a few hours. It doesn't feel hot to the touch and is in an open space. Anyone have this same behavior ?

svenz

I left it unplugged for a couple hours and my SU-8 no longer powers on now. Has anyone had a similar issue?

svenz

Ah well, Amazon actually said they'd take it back for full refund after 2 years. Guess my Topping D10 is back on DAC duty! Can't say I'm too unhappy as the SU-8 USB has always been quite temperamental.

Edit: Well I feel dumb. It was simply the stock power cord not working anymore (never had that happen to me). I swapped out for another one and it's working fine again.

Last edited:

lockheed

I have some questions related to daily use of this DAC. I intend to use it with automated power on/off plug so these are imporant to know.

1. If you cut power to it when it is ON and then restore power, does it goes back to being on, or just standby?
2. If it is in standby and a source powers on/plugged-in, does it wake up and select the source?
3. Does it remember selected input, volume and equaliser setting if you pull the power plug out and then plug it back again?
4. Can you shut the display off? If not, can it be dimmed that it does not produce glow in a dark room?

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some thoughts. Been playing with this about a year. At first I thought it was thin sounding, lacking bass, but thats not the case. When cables and source settings are on point its all good. I enjoy usb input most with pc. Layered and big sound. However.....pc fan is annoying so I would like to shut it and remotely use phone. Has somebody gone wireless and noticed quality drop? I would like to have a box which has usb output and tidal masters in it. Usb from there to su 8 and controlling tidal with phone as a remote. I am afraid of quality drop, if i go to hd blutooth device with coaxial and/or toslink out.....afraid that usb is superior....I know box i want dont probably exist, maybe other solid ideas. Do u think usb os better than other inputs in su 8?

lockheed

Some thoughts. Been playing with this about a year. At first I thought it was thin sounding, lacking bass, but thats not the case. When cables and source settings are on point its all good. I enjoy usb input most with pc. Layered and big sound. However.....pc fan is annoying so I would like to shut it and remotely use phone. Has somebody gone wireless and noticed quality drop? I would like to have a box which has usb output and tidal masters in it. Usb from there to su 8 and controlling tidal with phone as a remote. I am afraid of quality drop, if i go to hd blutooth device with coaxial and/or toslink out.....afraid that usb is superior....I know box i want dont probably exist, maybe other solid ideas. Do u think usb os better than other inputs in su 8?
You are right for seeking an alternative to BT receiver in this DAC as it does not support lossless BT codecs.
I have three suggestions to you:

1. RaspberryPI (running something like VolumIO) plugged to DAC by USB. Does exactly what you describe - phone as a remote, not source. Only services supported by VolumeIO (or alternative) will work, but they will work independent on your phone (ie. you can leave home, shut down phone or make phone calls without interrupting music playback). Cheapest option but requires some minor DIY.

2. Get iFi Audio Zen Blue and plug into your DAC. It offers lossless BT codecs.
This will use phone as source, so anything you can run on your phone will play on your speakers. However, streaming won't work independently on your phone. Most expensive option.

3. Sell this DAC and get Topping D50s, which is a superior DAC, and it does support lossless codecs. This will use phone as source, so anything you can run on your phone will play on your speakers. However, streaming won't work independently on your phone. Cost will be similar to option 1, if you sell your old DAC.

Oukkidoukki

Ok, thank you sir. I investigate those good options. D50s is out cause i go to studio monitors with xlr.

Oukkidoukki

I have an idea, maybe someone can try. Xiaomi mi box s 4k has usb audio out that is locked to 24 bit 96khz ( info from Darko) so its not bit perfect as default. Upsampling 44.1 files can sound wierd. So not good. Usb audio out is pretty special in this prize category 50€....and so far I have been able to get best sound out of su 8 by using usb,so I seek it in streamer. Then get usb audio player pro with mqa to your android phone from play store. It can play mqa in android phone. Then chromecast this to xiaomi and see if the samplerate changes in su 8 screen when you change the songs. If so then its bit perfect I guess.

Oukkidoukki

Sorry to bother again. I am now able to stream bit perfect without pc, so no fan noise. Its pretty awesome. I bought usb audio player pro app with mqa to my android phone. I connectecd phone to su 8 with usb cable. Sounds as good as pc but no fan noise. Now there is only one more thing.....remote use:). I have ipad so i thought maybe i could change songs in ipad. But this app aint in appstore. Any ideas? other android device? Or some other app that is compatible with both. Mcconnect?

holbob

Are both outputs (rca and XLR) active on this dac at the same time?

rsantist

I'm currently enjoying this units:
*SMSL SU-8 and as a amp SMSL SP200 , with the Sennh HD650.
Both DAC- AMP with XLR and no noise at all.
Software used : Audirvana and I usually play 24-96k format and tidal master.
I'm really happy with this combination, and I'm sure if you want to get more, I'll need to spend more and more bucks, and imo too much money for what you'll get

Top Bottom