• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

viper414

Hey, folks

I've seen many comments on pop/clicks issues from the SMSL DAC. I have the Topping D50 that does the occasional loud pop/click when changing bitrate or even when playing randomly it will do it at any unpredictable moment. I'm now using it for subs only and can barely hear the pops(being subs). It is quite damaging for speakers if left on for the random pops as I hear loud tweeter pop or woofer pop suggesting it's a whole frequency loud noise coming from the DAC. Sound quality otherwise is awesome. I recently purchased the SMSL SU-8 V2 hoping this issue won't happen again with another manufacturer. How unlucky can I be! This one works perfectly on the RCA outputs but the XLR outputs have even higher and more dangerous pops than the Topping D50 lol. And worst, it happens when changing tracks/bit rate and even when using any button on the remote control...volume up/down, changing filter/EQ, anything will cause the pop. I'm using a pair of Hypex NC1200 Monoblocks to power the Magnepan LRS or RP-160M(GR research tuned) and cannot use the XLR outputs else it will blow the damn speakers off.

Is there the possibility to fix this via an update/reset/chaning op amps ?

Thanks

timindy

Hey, folks

I've seen many comments on pop/clicks issues from the SMSL DAC. I have the Topping D50 that does the occasional loud pop/click when changing bitrate or even when playing randomly it will do it at any unpredictable moment. I'm now using it for subs only and can barely hear the pops(being subs). It is quite damaging for speakers if left on for the random pops as I hear loud tweeter pop or woofer pop suggesting it's a whole frequency loud noise coming from the DAC. Sound quality otherwise is awesome. I recently purchased the SMSL SU-8 V2 hoping this issue won't happen again with another manufacturer. How unlucky can I be! This one works perfectly on the RCA outputs but the XLR outputs have even higher and more dangerous pops than the Topping D50 lol. And worst, it happens when changing tracks/bit rate and even when using any button on the remote control...volume up/down, changing filter/EQ, anything will cause the pop. I'm using a pair of Hypex NC1200 Monoblocks to power the Magnepan LRS or RP-160M(GR research tuned) and cannot use the XLR outputs else it will blow the damn speakers off.

Thanks
Sounds like you got a defective SU8 there. I've been listening to my SU8 v.2 for more than a year now with none of the isssues you're having. The only time I hear a pop is when I turn the dac off. I normally leave it on.

snowsurfer

Sounds like you got a defective SU8 there. I've been listening to my SU8 v.2 for more than a year now with none of the isssues you're having. The only time I hear a pop is when I turn the dac off. I normally leave it on.

SU8v2 user reporting back too, zero issues here except the occasional light pop when turning on. I've had the unit almost since release of the v2 version, probably 2 years now? Granted I have mine at fixed bitrate since I don't care for anything beyond 16/44. Here's hoping that it lasts me 20 years because I see absolutely zero reasons to change it.

Editing post to add that I use mine exclusively via the XLR outputs via a professionaly made (NOT expensive but made by a professional) Y splitter on Mogami Multi cable (which is designed for balanced Y splitting) and Neutrik connectors, one split going to my SP200, another one to my JBL LSR305 Mk1 monitors.

Last edited:

Shiva

A quick SU-8 V2 question, which I just recently acquired. Am i right in assuming that if I am using its coax and optical inputs, its not using its internal Dac. So, the only time the Dac is being used is when you use its usb port, yes?

snowsurfer

A quick SU-8 V2 question, which I just recently acquired. Am i right in assuming that if I am using its coax and optical inputs, its not using its internal Dac. So, the only time the Dac is being used is when you use its usb port, yes?

All of those are digital connections so yes, the DAC is receiving digital data over those, and then doing its job aka converting Digital to Analogue. The SU-8 is a DAC only, it has no analogue inputs and no ADC.

Shiva

Thanks for the quick response. I read something the other day, that confused. So for instance, I have an Oppo 93 that was set to decode. With that set-up, playing a CD or DVD audio or Pandora for instance, the the SU-8 is not doing the decoding, correct? When I set the Oppo to bitstream to pass on the raw data to the SU-8 to decode, all Im getting is clicking sounds out of the speakers, I'm not sure what is going on there.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the quick response. I read something the other day, that confused. So for instance, I have an Oppo 93 that was set to decode. With that set-up, playing a CD or DVD audio or Pandora for instance, the the SU-8 is not doing the decoding, correct? When I set the Oppo to bitstream to pass on the raw data to the SU-8 to decode, all Im getting is clicking sounds out of the speakers, I'm not sure what is going on there.
Since you mentioned DVD audio, I'm guessing you have the Oppo BDP-93 player and not the Oppo 93 mobile phone. My guess is that the source direct feeds the SU8 with an incompatible format- it is highly likely

kernelpanic

I have an SU-8 V2 and I also experience the pops when the sample rate changes. If you go back in the thread, others have it too. However, I did some testing and this only occurs when using the USB input and does not occur over Optical or Coax. I contacted SMSL/Shenzhen Audio about this and they were not helpful and didn't seem at all interested in doing anything about it.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have an SU-8 V2 and I also experience the pops when the sample rate changes. If you go back in the thread, others have it too. However, I did some testing and this only occurs when using the USB input and does not occur over Optical or Coax. I contacted SMSL/Shenzhen Audio about this and they were not helpful and didn't seem at all interested in doing anything about it.
SMSL answers sales questions but does not answer any obstacles or technical questions.
Topping, on the other hand, responds sincerely to the consultations from our users.

I think your SU-8 V2 symptom is probably a USB firmware issue. There are other problems with SU-8 V2.
However, regarding SU-8 V2, SMSL is no longer aggressive and I don't think there is any hope for improvement.

Toku

Major Contributor
No, it's not.
USB, coax, and optical are all input to the same ESS DAC chip and converted to analog signals.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SMSL answers sales questions but does not answer any obstacles or technical questions.
Topping, on the other hand, responds sincerely to the consultations from our users.

I think your SU-8 V2 symptom is probably a USB firmware issue. There are other problems with SU-8 V2.
However, regarding SU-8 V2, SMSL is no longer aggressive and I don't think there is any hope for improvement.
They have been quiet for awhile huh. Still, I'm curious how their P1 headphone amp and A1 power amp performs

Shiva

Thanks for the replies guys. This is my first stand alone DAC and have nothing to compare it to, but I like it. I use its XLR outputs to my amp, playing Tidal through my laptop and phone. I also dig the remote functionality. My only issue right now, is wanting it to do the decoding instead of my Oppo 93 for disc playback, still working on that.. Also looking for a nice streamer with ethernet to handle Tidal and the like.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hey, folks

Thanks
Your report is very informative and valuable.
The XLR output pop noise problem is also common to the M500's XLR output.
If you connect the M500 directly to a power amplifier that does not have an input volume via XLR, a large pop noise will occur. When I connected the XLR for the first time, I was surprised by the loud noise.
I was thinking of replacing the M500 with the SU-9 because of this, but I'm worried that the SU-9 may be the same after seeing your report.

kernelpanic

Yeah that's what I suggested to them, USB drivers, firmware, etc. No response unfortunately.

Top Bottom