• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

MWC

Surely the Tidal software converts/ decodes the MQA to analogue before sending it to any DAC? Therefore any DAC can play any analogue regardless of the original encoding?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks @Veri I guess I'll need to get used to it. I have another problem. The Dragonfly plays MQA (at full rendering) and the SMSL SU-8 doesn't. So I connected both DACs to 2 USB ports and try to change the output device from within Tidal App or Windows. What is happening is that as soon as I connect the Dragonfly having the SMSL already connected, the output on SMSL SU-8 drops to barely audible level but the Dragonfly Red outputs fine volume. Then when I disconnect the Dragonfly, the SMSL output button comes loud (normal). I wanna connect both DACs so I can switch to Dragonfly Red when playing MQA from within the Tidal App without having to plug USBs in and out. Would you the reason for this or have a solution to this? Greatly appreciated!
Is it caused by mqa? Try normal cd quality music.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it caused by mqa? Try normal cd quality music.
Thanks. I think it's all accross... But by now I feel it's placebo. Another problem I'm facing with the SMSL SU-8 is that at high volumes the sub bass seems to show a lot of distortion. Can't hear that on the same song on my Dragonfly Red at same volume. I thought the SMSL was a superior DAC. I see that lowering the DAC's Internal volume helps but that should not happen right? I mean Amirs readings basically classed tho DAC as near perfect at high volumes...

Odysseus

Is there any way to switch between XLR output and RCA output?

jonmichael

I’ve been running Roon/Tidal on a Mac-Mini into a SU-8 for several months and this combo has worked flawlessly for me - better than the four other DAC’s I own. I do hear minor pops when switching inputs from USB to Optical but this is not excessive. I also keep my active speakers and the SU-8 powered on permanently so there’s no issues with power-up pops which can be quite nasty.

Is your Mac OS current?
My Macs are up to date, and the new SU8 shows up as expected. The DOA unit was sent back.

jonmichael

Is there any way to switch between XLR output and RCA output?
Apparently all outputs from the SU8 are hot at the same time, so the switch could be how you have it connected to an amp. If you can set it up to play both (I can), you could switch back and forth easily.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Apparently all outputs from the SU8 are hot at the same time, so the switch could be how you have it connected to an amp. If you can set it up to play both (I can), you could switch back and forth easily.

So, if you were going to use this to feed two amps, both feeds are always live? I figured there would be a switch to go back and forth. Would it be better to unplug the one you're not using or does it matter?

Shane D

jonmichael

So, if you were going to use this to feed two amps, both feeds are always live? I figured there would be a switch to go back and forth. Would it be better to unplug the one you're not using or does it matter?

Shane D
You could test it, but I doubt if there is real difference. Both are apparently always live whether or not the output is connected. There is no switch, except when you pull the cables out of the device :).

Shane D

Forum Donor
You could test it, but I doubt if there is real difference. Both are apparently always live whether or not the output is connected. There is no switch, except when you pull the cables out of the device :).

Thanks for the reply. So, are you REAL happy with your DAC now?
I am looking at pulling the trigger tomorrow/Monday.

Shane D

jonmichael

All I can attest to is that the SU8 sounds better -- smoother, a little more refined, and no digital glare -- when compared to the DAC built into my XMC-1 pre/pro (all observations are completely subjective, from my ears to this post).

All of my playback is from a Roon Nucleus, which itself was an upgrade from a Mac Mini. All in all, I am REAL happy, to use your phrase. Just know, my first one was DOA.

There are posts here about problems with the XLR outputs, but so far, so good with mine. It stays.

Odysseus

Shane D

So, I need to switch off my 305Ps in order to use my headphones with the Atom. Interestingly inconvenient.

jbar2797

So, I need to switch off my 305Ps in order to use my headphones with the Atom. Interestingly inconvenient.

Yeah, it just depends on your amp really. My Vioelectric amp I have to have turned off if I’m listening through my speakers where as with my Meier Audio Amp, I have an input switch that I can switch

Shoaibexpert

Call me crazy but I finally found the root cause of my problems...it was just some cable issues. But now that everything is workwlime it should... I find the SMSL SU-8 to be a bit too bright and lacking the dynamic range expected. Is that possible, I mean it's a DAC... Its supposed to relay music like it's recorded. Now I have the Dragonfly Red as well and I find it more musical, Balanced and not as bright..and its a USB. I thought the SMSL SU-8 was the best DAC around under $500....and now I feel like selling it...i'm saddened.

Shoaibexpert

I did blind test months back and the difference between various dacs are really easy to tell. Measurements are static signal measurements. You don't know what happens if a pulse injects. Also in a highly dynamic music, harmonic distortion is seems to be much more natural than all these weird stuff. In some cases, you can see the noise amplitude reference to the 1khz signal which can go up to -80db. Which is a wtf for almost state of art performance. In a dynamic situation, it's highly possible to be audible.
Anything wrong in the measurements will in some way reflect to the final sound. Don't just say it's inaudible. Even when it's inaudible, is there benefit to have such poor performance dac reference to cheap m3?
If anything under 0.1% thd is inaudible why would we want performance. These double standard needs to stop. People just want to stick to their original opinions. Bad is bad. Better is better. There are no excuses.
Call me crazy but I finally found the root cause of my problems...it was just some cable issues. But now that everything is workwlime it should... I find the SMSL SU-8 to be a bit too bright and lacking the dynamic range expected. Is that possible, I mean it's a DAC... Its supposed to relay music like it's recorded. Now I have the Dragonfly Red as well and I find it more musical, Balanced and not as bright..and its a USB. I thought the SMSL SU-8 was the best DAC around under $500....and now I feel like selling it...i'm saddened.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Shenzhen Audio just put the unit back on sale. It is the same price as The Drop, with shipping, if you live in Canada.

I will order mine tonight and hope to get it within a week. Some people seem to get them quite quickly.

Shane D

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Shenzhen Audio just put the unit back on sale. It is the same price as The Drop, with shipping, if you live in Canada.

I will order mine tonight and hope to get it within a week. Some people seem to get them quite quickly.

Shane D
For people outside of the US, Aliexpress seems a better option in terms of cost.
But just make sure the shipping option chosen has at least tracking all the way to the door. Some only tracks within China and for Canada, the cheapest free shipping can take months. Believe Shenzhenaudio uses courier shipping for most of their stuff. Which should be good for a sub-fortnight shipping time.

Shane D

Forum Donor
For people outside of the US, Aliexpress seems a better option in terms of cost.
But just make sure the shipping option chosen has at least tracking all the way to the door. Some only tracks within China and for Canada, the cheapest free shipping can take months. Believe Shenzhenaudio uses courier shipping for most of their stuff. Which should be good for a sub-fortnight shipping time.

I guess I'll find out, one way or the other.

Shane D

heck

I guess I'm a bit too late on the party, but here goes...

I have a Schiit Eitr. It's basically a usb to coaxial spdif converter. But from what I see the su-8's specs, using usb would be better than coaxial input? Am I reading it correctly?

Currently have a Schiit stack: Eitr > Modi > Magni

So, should I sell off the Eitr and Modi and get the SU-8?

I would use Magni 3 while waiting for a balanced amp if I go for an SU-8

Veri

Master Contributor
So, should I sell off the Eitr and Modi and get the SU-8?

I would use Magni 3 while waiting for a balanced amp if I go for an SU-8

That sounds like a plan. But yes, Eitr is a rather unnecessary tweak. It works well with older Schiit DACs. because well, they're schiit.

Top Bottom