• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

zym1010

Forum Donor

RainyMirror

@zym1010 makes sense, since no software should jump that quickly in version numbers.
I got a cheap used cambridge dacmagic with XLR outputs today so I could discard 100% that there was a problem in the rest of my setup.
And I was right, it was just the SU-8.

zym1010

Forum Donor
@zym1010 makes sense, since no software should jump that quickly in version numbers.
I got a cheap used cambridge dacmagic with XLR outputs today so I could discard 100% that there was a problem in the rest of my setup.
And I was right, it was just the SU-8.

Great that you solved it. However, is the hissing issue only limited to DSD in your case? My collection is mostly in PCM so maybe I won't be bothered by this issue if it's only DSD-related...

RainyMirror

Great that you solved it. However, is the hissing issue only limited to DSD in your case? My collection is mostly in PCM so maybe I won't be bothered by this issue if it's only DSD-related...
It's not a general issue, it just happened to me after 100 hours without problems. DSD64 had this awful "foreground white noise", and PCM sounded louder, with distortion. All these problems only on the XLR, so maybe it was related to something in that "path".

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can also confirm the pops when changing sample rates on SU-8 version 1.2. They are very loud for me using XLR to powered studio monitors. So much so, I've had to resample everything in Foobar to a consistent rate. Does anyone know any other ways to mitigate this?

Other than what you are doing the only other fix is to get a different DAC.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Other than what you are doing the only other fix is to get a different DAC.
Yeah, I'm starting to get to where I don't want to use it because of the popping/clicking when listening to DSD files, I use the XLR outs for my headphone amp. Never get the pop/click from my speakers through the RCA outs.
Lately been spending all of my time with the Atom amp and Sanskrit 10th DAC, nice combo, and not a pop to be heard.

zym1010

Forum Donor
It's not a general issue, it just happened to me after 100 hours without problems. DSD64 had this awful "foreground white noise", and PCM sounded louder, with distortion. All these problems only on the XLR, so maybe it was related to something in that "path".

Thanks. But to me this is probably a deal-breaker (since PCM is also affected), as I plan to go all balanced for my setup.

jonmichael

Thanks. But to me this is probably a deal-breaker (since PCM is also affected), as I plan to go all balanced for my setup.
100 hours or so? I’ll be running mine on shuffle for a couple of days to see if I have the same XLR out problem before the return period ends. Thanks for the heads up.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I'm starting to get to where I don't want to use it because of the popping/clicking when listening to DSD files, I use the XLR outs for my headphone amp. Never get the pop/click from my speakers through the RCA outs.
Lately been spending all of my time with the Atom amp and Sanskrit 10th DAC, nice combo, and not a pop to be heard.

Problems with DSD could be caused by latency in the computer. There is another thread about it with recommended downloads of diagnostic tools.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Problems with DSD could be caused by latency in the computer. There is another thread about it with recommended downloads of diagnostic tools.
Only happens with my SU-8 over the xrl outs, never had this happen with any DAC that I can remember when running balanced, not my Oppo 205 or TEAC NT-503.. Happens when I either start or stop a song when playing DSD, or when switching file types from DSD to PCM.

RainyMirror

Some questions:
If I upsample everything to DSD512, will I skip the SU-8 filters?
If not, which filter is better for classical music and a tube amp, with speakers that do 25Hz - 30kHz?

I'm giving the SU-8 another go, with the DSD512 upsampling and RCA outputs.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Some questions:
If I upsample everything to DSD512, will I skip the SU-8 filters?
If not, which filter is better for classical music and a tube amp, with speakers that do 25Hz - 30kHz?

I'm giving the SU-8 another go, with the DSD512 upsampling and RCA outputs.

Are they replacing it for you? Or are you still tinkering with your original?

Shane D

RainyMirror

I'm waiting for the vendor to respond with instructions, supposedly I have to send it back to them and then wait 3 weeks for my money back.
But it seems they don't like that it's not a failure you can "see".
So I'm taking it for a last redeeming spin.

Shane D

Forum Donor
I am thinking hard about buying this unit, but I am concerned about the few quality problems. I bought an amp recent that was essentially DOA. The company sent me a replacement within a few days and covered the shipping back for the defect. I was very happy with that as I realize that accidents happen and as long as the company gets right on it, I am fine with that. And months later I LOVE that amp.

I wonder what will happen if I am one of the few that has problems...

Shane D

RainyMirror

Well, you would end up with my problem, which is, what other DAC can I get for that price range? All the non-chinese start at like US$1000.
You could buy the recently released Topping D70.

Shane D

Forum Donor
If you are just using this unit to play your AAC/MP3/ALAC files, is it less likely to have problems, since it is doing less? Or is everything automatically upsampled to DSD?

Shane D

Shane D

Forum Donor
Well, you would end up with my problem, which is, what other DAC can I get for that price range? All the non-chinese start at like US$1000.
You could buy the recently released Topping D70.

Yeah, but that D70 is $425.00 on Massdrop. In Canada a comparable DAC (with less bells and whistles, although an amp is included), you are looking at $599.00, plus 15% tax for a Fostex HP-A4BL, TEAC UD-301 and Cambridge Audio DAC MagicPlus. You can probably get that down to about $625.00 to $650.00, all in with some negotiating, begging/whining.
This would cost me about $400.00, landed. As you say, big difference. SMSL does have the one year warranty though.

Shane D

RainyMirror

If you're unlucky and get a bad DAC, it's just the headache of returning it and then waiting for the replacement.
It shouldn't cost you more.
In my experience, and reading reviews, it's like a 5% chance.
Just buy it as directly as you can from them. And if you have to contact them for whatever reason, start your email with "Dear..."

Veri

Master Contributor
If you're unlucky and get a bad DAC, it's just the headache of returning it and then waiting for the replacement.
It shouldn't cost you more.
In my experience, and reading reviews, it's like a 5% chance.
Just buy it as directly as you can from them. And if you have to contact them for whatever reason, start your email with "Dear..."
Yep exactly. Especially when dealing with a big retailer, just ask a new unit and it's pretty hassle-free.

Top Bottom