• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 384 83.7%

• Total voters

Loftrocket

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the SU-1. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Oh, be sure i will! :D
First question - is it the point to make some external power connection mod if i'll use it with my android phone? I mean to solder wires directly to pcb... Or is it enough power via usb + data? Or better way to use it with some good wall charger + usb to spdif converter to connect phone?

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Oh, be sure i will! :D
First question - is it the point to make some external power connection mod if i'll use it with my android phone? I mean to solder wires directly to pcb... Or is it enough power via usb + data? Or better way to use it with some good wall charger + usb to spdif converter to connect phone?
The method you showed requires powering the SU-1 from the mobile phone, which quickly drains the mobile phone's battery capacity.
To connect your mobile phone to the SU-1, connect it via a USB hub that can provide external power. A 5V/1A mobile phone charging adapter is sufficient for the external power source.

tlr125

i'm using SU-1 with UPS, for some reason it doesn't sound good enough from USB-port connected to PC, feels like underpowered or smth

Toku

Major Contributor
i'm using SU-1 with UPS, for some reason it doesn't sound good enough from USB-port connected to PC, feels like underpowered or smth
Sorry, what is "smth"?
What kind of model is the PC you connected?
What kind of symptoms do SU-1 occur?

strumf666

SU-1 uses approx 1.3W under normal use, so it's kind of hard to imagine it could be power starved unless it is connected to an very old or extremely low power device.
Using a UPS to power the SU-1 implies it has been modified, though, so that could have an impact.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Using a UPS to power the SU-1 implies it has been modified, though, so that could have an impact.
Not necessarily.

You can buy, or make a USB splitter cable which allows you to power the DAC from an external power supply.

1746155335-268275470.jpg 5c05315df15dc2.22026222.jpg

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've now just plugged mine into one of the USB3 sockets on the back of the PC after a while from an external USB wall wart and optical feed - can't say I can hear any difference which hopefully confirms supply immunity in the SU1...

Bleib

Major Contributor
USB2 or 3, it's not underpowered for me

Loftrocket

I've ordered DDHiFi usb c power adapter for powering this dac and my phone.
Is there a difference between usb otg cables? I mean in sound quality. I really doubt, but asking anyway. :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 31

seamon

I know, i know. :D
They should made 2 usb sockets, like M3 have.
Completely unnecessary and would have the product worse imo. A single port for power and data is good.

seamon

I suggest alcohol as an alternative to this power issue.
Listen to the SU-1 sober. Realize you don't like it. Get absolutely hammered. Listen to SU-1 again. Trust me, it will sound better.

Toku

Major Contributor
I know, i know. :D
They should made 2 usb sockets, like M3 have.
There are other products that meet your needs, so you should choose one of them.
For me this product is perfect and I don't need the extra USB-C. SU-1 is a product specialized for specific applications.

Top Bottom