• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II vs Topping E30: Features

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Interesting. These measurements of the E30 from the Canadian Amazon site:
Color:Black/Silver
Size:10x12.5x32cm
Weight:265g

But I see on the Aliexpress site that it's definitely a compact little feller. Thanks.

;-)
smsl_10th_scale - Copy2 - Copy.png

The banana is 7,5x4,5x14,4cm.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
In the last week, it's great to see @amirm post reviews of two budget DACs that perform in the top tier. What's cool is that, unlike the Katana and the Khadas Tone Board, they are standalone DACs with enclosures and even remotes! They have a tightwad audio listener like me reaching for my wallet. But before I do, I have questions that I hope @amirm (who might be the only person in the world to use them both) will be able to answer...
  • I use quite a bit of vintage gear with optical outs. The Sanskrit 10th MK II performance isn't as good with optical, being better with USB. How about the E30? Any degradation from optical relative to USB?
  • How do the remotes compare? Any one work better or have better features?
  • I know nothing about filters, but I'm willing to listen. Any differences?
From an audible audio perspective, it looks like they're a wash. So I'm looking for differences in features. Any other meaningful differences?
Thanks!

Filter settings. Whether or not they make any difference whatsoever you be the judge.
smsl_10th_filters.png

Jarrett

The filters on the E30 are even in the same order so the chart definitely applies (#3 is default).

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

Pring85

Hi all, this is my first post so my apologies if I'm asking in the wrong thread.

I'm also considering either the e30 or SMSL 10th MKII. My main consideration is the way that the digital volume is handled as I'll be connecting either one of them directly to a rega maia power amp. SMSL states that there would be no changes to the signal so it looks like they've addressed bit clipping. Just wondering if the same can be said for e30... Cant find much info on whether the pre amp is actually well considered or just there as an extra feature. I'd like to see these budget dacs incorporate an analogue volume control to negate bit clipping issue. Thanks

AlexFNYC

Just got my Sanskrit a few days ago... Great dac, clear, dead silent, without any noticeable color. Reminds me of apogee duet - except duet is a bit on the lean side sound wise. Looks much better in real life then I expected. Remote control is garbage though - only works when you are straight in front of the dac and pointing the remote straight at it - any angle and it does not work... but that's a minor gripe considering the performance.

rtraut

Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party on this thread. I've never owned a standalone DAC, but I'm thinking about getting one to upgrade the output of a Logitech Squeezebox Touch. The Touch has USB, Coax, and Toslink outputs available. I mainly stream redbook quality FLAC files to it from a home server, with the occasional Hi Rez file and some Spotify or Tidal streaming every now and then.

These 2 DACs appear to offer the best bang for the buck and seem like a good way to dip my toe in. I have Emotiva electronics (USP1->XPA2) driving Vandersteen 3a Signature speakers. Do any of you have an opinion about adding either the MKII or e30 to my system? Would either make a difference or am I just wasting my time and should I jump higher up the food chain immediately?

Just got my Sanskrit a few days ago... Great dac, clear, dead silent, without any noticeable color. Reminds me of apogee duet - except duet is a bit on the lean side sound wise. Looks much better in real life then I expected. Remote control is garbage though - only works when you are straight in front of the dac and pointing the remote straight at it - any angle and it does not work... but that's a minor gripe considering the performance.

Anyone know if the remotes are any better on topping gear ?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party on this thread. I've never owned a standalone DAC, but I'm thinking about getting one to upgrade the output of a Logitech Squeezebox Touch. The Touch has USB, Coax, and Toslink outputs available. I mainly stream redbook quality FLAC files to it from a home server, with the occasional Hi Rez file and some Spotify or Tidal streaming every now and then.

These 2 DACs appear to offer the best bang for the buck and seem like a good way to dip my toe in. I have Emotiva electronics (USP1->XPA2) driving Vandersteen 3a Signature speakers. Do any of you have an opinion about adding either the MKII or e30 to my system? Would either make a difference or am I just wasting my time and should I jump higher up the food chain immediately?
Whatever’s the cheaper option for you. Both awesome devices :)

Milesian

Phew! Great info. Been running FL1 and getting frustrated by edginess in the music. FL3, smoothed everything out. That seems to work nicely with KEF LS50W’s.

Last edited:

Saeniv

After reading both reviews from amir and Wolfx700 i really can't deside between Topping E30 and Smsl Sanskrith. Coax is much better in the Topping E30, but i will never use it.

Why measure Amir and Wolfx700 so diffrent in the Multi Tone Test?

Milesian

After reading both reviews from amir and Wolfx700 i really can't deside between Topping E30 and Smsl Sanskrith. Coax is much better in the Topping E30, but i will never use it.

Why measure Amir and Wolfx700 so diffrent in the Multi Tone Test?

The great thing about these lower priced DACs is, you don’t have to agonize so much over your choice. If they cost megabucks, you’d have cause for concern. At these prices you could buy one of each and sell what you don’t like.

aon500

Now MKII driver V4.67 from SMSL but E30 driver V4.86 from Topping.

Saeniv

The great thing about these lower priced DACs is, you don’t have to agonize so much over your choice. If they cost megabucks, you’d have cause for concern. At these prices you could buy one of each and sell what you don’t like.

That is true, but for a student, 130€ + shipping is still a lot of money.

And i also like to hear a scientific explanation. I mean that is what the website is about. Two people measure the same thing and get results so diffrent from eachother why? How could this be?

If one person is getting results, a sceond one has to proof it, if nobody verifys it, then it is not scientific proofed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That is true, but for a student, 130€ + shipping is still a lot of money.

And i also like to hear a scientific explanation. I mean that is what the website is about. Two people measure the same thing and get results so diffrent from eachother why? How could this be?

If one person is getting results, a sceond one has to proof it, if nobody verifys it, then it is not scientific proofed.
What's the difference you are referring to? You meant the Sanskrit mkii? I have used Amir's multitone file before, Amir's multitone file seems to be very hot but no real clipping. DACs may get internal clipping or perform worse in Amir's test. But it's still legit. If you compare to a different dac in Amir's measurements, you can still get the idea.

Top Bottom