• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PS100 *$30.00* DAC (some limitations apply)

cubanmetalguy

One thing I'm not liking about the PS100. Sometimes it auto powers off and won't auto wake up upon receiving hdmi signal. It doesn't do it all the time, not sure if it is a defective unit. Just ordered another unit to try.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i just managed to get mine hooked up

as a dac, its a dac... i dont think its as good as my M300 but its as good as redbook is going to get at 96dB... it doesnt have the high end energy of the M300 but then neither does the C100

the build quality is flimsy... very thin snap fit plastic case but i expected this

if i were to use it long term i would use the Johnny Darko stainless door stop on it as its dragged by the four cables it needs to get going

if you were really into the min max cheapest possible approach i would be ok with this

i think SMSL dont consider this a "DAC"

they think its just an 'audio converter'

to them the C100 seems to be the minimal that they consider a "DAC"

cubanmetalguy

It turns out that the PS100 is working fine, it was my TV. I found out that Sony Bravia TVs have many known HDMI ARC issues. It's working wonderfully connected to an older Sony TV.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ok i did a bit more time with it

as expected its only 41/48k on pc but it otherwise sounds ok, no drivers under Win10, just all built in

BT is a sbc only affair that i found to be not quite as nice

the unit has a bit of nvram onboard so it does remember your last used input even when removed from power

and lastly, if you choose to power it off with the front button it says "SHUTTING DOWN" in Mandarin

so it feels like they outsourced this to one of their vast network of OEMs and they put their own little trademarks into it

Good to finally see a DAC that supports ARC. Can anyone confirm if the TV remote controls the volume when connected through ARC, or if the output volume is fixed?

Thanks!

cubanmetalguy

Good to finally see a DAC that supports ARC. Can anyone confirm if the TV remote controls the volume when connected through ARC, or if the output volume is fixed?

Thanks!
Yes, you can control the volume with the TV remote just fine. It didn't work well with my Sony Bravia (Google TV) but it works beautifully with both an older Sony TV and a Sharp TV.

Juampa1989

Mosello

Been searching for something minimal like this to connect the TV(spdif/arc) to smsl A300. Is it powered via usb?

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know if it has BT 5.0 or higher?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I'm not liking about the PS100. Sometimes it auto powers off and won't auto wake up upon receiving hdmi signal. It doesn't do it all the time, not sure if it is a defective unit. Just ordered another unit to try.
Yea I returned mine already due to the same issue.

Juampa1989

Yea I returned mine already due to the same issue.
What a shame because it looked promising, I was very interested in the arc hdmi output, they don't know of any alternative that works more stable and that controls the volume from the remote control via arc hdmi, I saw some on aliexpress but I don't know what they are like I have my TV connected from the 3.5 jack output and it gives me 0.7 vrms. The ps100 indicates 1.9 vrms so it would have given me more play in the amplifier. If not, I'll stick with the jack output, it doesn't sound bad, nor noisy either.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried this on a LG OLED.

Juampa1989

Finally I did not dare to buy it since apparently it does not work well through arc hdmi. Failing that, buy the SMS C100, to be able to control the volume from the chair.

Finally got my unit delivered and it works perfectly with an LG C1. It powers on automatically, the remote control can be used to adjust the volume and mute/unmute the speakers. The quality is good enough for a small system. Very happy with this little box!

Juampa1989

Finalmente recibí mi unidad y funciona perfectamente con un LG C1. Se enciende automáticamente, el control remoto se puede usar para ajustar el volumen y silenciar/activar los altavoces. La calidad es bastante buena para un sistema pequeño. ¡Muy feliz con esta cajita!
Perfect. Congratulations

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got mine as well, connected with spdif and works as it should be.

Top Bottom