• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 168 72.4%

• Total voters

Cirodx

Technical explanation of everything is quite impossible, backread this thread and you may find some information (even if probably not understandable since they are not explained for whom doesn't know the topic)

What you should know, is that you need to select a filter for PCM and leave it as it is, since it will work for 100% scenarios.

Soundcolor may be selected as you prefer, for DSD filter is ok the default, and you can lowe DPLL to minimum value, raising it if you hear issues

That's it
ok, DPLL to minimum value? and volume -5 is that okay?

Cirodx

Is it my impression that by setting the DPLL to a minimum, the sound gains impact and dynamics?

Blashyrkh

Is it my impression that by setting the DPLL to a minimum, the sound gains impact and dynamics?
It should not, but depends.

DPLL has no effect on USB to begin with, and on other inputs it may avoid issues with sources that has lots of jitter.

Setting 1 is the safest option, better jitter hadling but should add delay

Setting 15, no delay but worst jitter handling

As said, I don't expect any change in sound if your coax source hasn't very bad jitter

Higher values may be better delaywise if you use your dac also to watch videos

Cirodx

setting the dac volume lower than 0 the sound becomes more relaxed and more pleasant at the expense of the impact, I'm not sure how to set the volume.

DeepSpace57

Hello, I hear the static noise at some colour options. Do you have the same problem?

Cirodx

I just put the do 300 to work, will 50 hours of burn in be okay?
regarding the warmth setting: rich 1 = slight effect, rich 2 = medium effect and rich 3 = maximum effect, this is how it works or vice versa, thanks.

DeepSpace57

I just put the do 300 to work, will 50 hours of burn in be okay?
regarding the warmth setting: rich 1 = slight effect, rich 2 = medium effect and rich 3 = maximum effect, this is how it works or vice versa, thanks.
Do you have any static noise at Tube 1 or 2?

Veri

Master Contributor
New SMSL DL200 ES9039Q2M DAC & Headphone Amplifier..
index.php

David_M

Has anyone noticed how the SMSL DO300 and DL200 have equaled and even exceeded the specs for the SMSL top-of-the-line SU-10 at about half price or more? All due to the ESS 9039 DAC, which kicks the butt of the already superb 9038 DAC.

Also, has anyone taken pics of the internal pcb of the DO300?

Last edited:

nerdemoji

Has anyone noticed how the SMSL DO300 and DL200 have equaled and even exceeded the specs for the SMSL top-of-the-line SU-10 at about half price or more? All due to the ESS 9039 DAC, which kicks the butt of the already superb 9038 DAC.

Also, has anyone taken pics of the internal pcb of the DO300?
In the DL200 thread there is a little bit of talk about the performance of the 9039 chip... seems ESS is going for specifically great 1khz SINAD over other specs. anyway transparent either way

David_M

In the DL200 thread there is a little bit of talk about the performance of the 9039 chip... seems ESS is going for specifically great 1khz SINAD over other specs. anyway transparent either way
Optimizing for IMD or multitone tests would have been better in my opinion, as that's more representative of actual musical content.

Blashyrkh

9039 chip or the hardware that's implementing it?

Anyway smsl internal engineering is pretty awesome for the price

Top Bottom