• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 169 72.5%

• Total voters

Blashyrkh

There is one ESS filter tha I might try on the DO300- APODIZING. I don't think it allow much ultrasonic (if any) and has no pre-ring. So more natural without the pre-ring? Probably only in that area, for what I have seen the post ring amplitude is twice as high. It may be even more audible the the two small peaks of pre/post rings. No free lunch in physics, as usually.
Apodizing is pretty much similar to linear fast for ringing and delay, on the frequency response it rolls off a little earlier and has less ultrasonic attenuation

I suggest checking the 9039 documentation here from page 20 to see all the differences in all regards

I should know more about digital filters, since I had purchased the worlds first CD player with its brick wall filter- the Sony CDP-101 in 1882. But until just recently, I thought the filter "problem" has been solved after 40+years. LOL I was aware generally of the flurry of initial activity in all the over-sampling designs to improve the DA conversion. And later, the BB ladder DACs were the one to get. I never had even heard of Delta/Sigma DACs, but since I had at one time the Super Audio Sony 1 bit CD player, I could make a guess since all these DACs supported DSD. But, silly me, I just assume in 2023 it was perfect by now. And probably my bad, but reading all the comments on DACs reviews, it seems the DAC problem was solved. Probably true for the DACs with good SINAD, but the which filter is more "subjective" it seems, if you have that choice. Gosh, say that word, but in quotes.

Also until I dug a little deeper, I had gotten the impression that all filters were pretty much similar in sound and not any possible ultrasonics affects on the post DAC audio chain. Just chose one you like- that seemed to be the simple message. With the ultrasonic issue, I would want to take that into consideration espically on the NOS filter.
Yeah, there still no perfect filter, but as you said, except for NOS that should be probably totally excluded, they are pretty much similar, since all the differences are just in theory...

in practice I don't know how much we can hear, also conisdering that ringing is not happening for every signal in the record and probably happening rarely(never) in a real world music scenario.
Pre ringing in linear is usally pretty small and not audible, ( probably only minimum fast post ringing is the one that may be audible being pretty big in amplitude)
Delay is really pretty small in linear filters, and IMD generate by slow filters may be down hearing threshold (<-100dB).

moreover it depends also on the original master (on good recordings there's no ringing) and the resolution, slow rolloff IMD may not affect at all audible range for high resolution music

Oh and I forgot one more thing, the frequancy related phase shift introduced by minimum filters :)

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

I think To need help for installing FW to DO300. @Docmoggy

I follow all instructions there; https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mware-upload-notes-for-dummies-like-me.39450/

However, i stuck at the step 24 ( 24. Now I hit the handshake icon on the software bar - as the manufacturer instructions state and the red disconnected changed to blue connected.)

My app does not turn to the blue 'connected' status. Whatever I have done, it still shows 'disconnected'. (BTW, windows sees DO300 in regular turn-on, not sees it in FW mode.

Blashyrkh

I think To need help for installing FW to DO300. @Docmoggy

I follow all instructions there; https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mware-upload-notes-for-dummies-like-me.39450/

However, i stuck at the step 24 ( 24. Now I hit the handshake icon on the software bar - as the manufacturer instructions state and the red disconnected changed to blue connected.)

My app does not turn to the blue 'connected' status. Whatever I have done, it still shows 'disconnected'. (BTW, windows sees DO300 in regular turn-on, not sees it in FW mode.
But the display of the unit is lit or not?

DeepSpace57

But the display of the unit is lit or not?
It is just a black screen. I keep pushing the knob at the front; after a few sec, I turn on the DAC moving the power switch at back from 0 to 1 (still pushing the knob). I am waiting to release the knop counting up to 5 sec at least. There is no info on the screen, just black screen at the end of the steps above.

Blashyrkh

The behaviour is fine, but The DAC should not be recognized at all from windows in the audio list selection

Blashyrkh

Sorry, Could not catch you. Can you elaborate what you mean?
The DAC should behaviour like that and display should stay off, moreover the DAC should not be recognized by Windows at all nor as aDAC nor as some other preipheral

DeepSpace57

FW was done successfully; just a quick note for the user, Toslink should be in while updating

Minimun Phase is the default PCM filter setting after a reset of my DO300. I did some tests these days and in my opinion Linear Fast and Apodizing are very similar in my audio chain. The Linear Fasts have only a very small bass boost. I'm not really sure if in my condition it's really convenient to try to update the firmware...

hearone

Forum Donor
Would someone that did a recent FW update, please see what FW version the unit is reporting now in menu? Thanks

hearone

Forum Donor
It's displayed always the same, since it's 1.013
There was a prior post that seems to say the unit could not display the current FW version and you can not tell if you have the update or not. So odd, I want to make sure I understand that is the case, so just checking.

Mine shows 1.0, so even if I have the FW update it will still will show 1.0 instead of 1.013? Strange, I have never had a device that could not show the correct version number of FW. Hope they fix that in some future FW update. Simple solution would to have called the FW 1.1 if it is a display limitations. Duh...

Meanwhile, I don't know if I have the FW or not, it seems, it is displays the same. And being a Mac/Iphone/Ipad user, I can not update using current Window only utility. Guess I will have to beg for a friend to let me use their Windows PC.

Last edited:

Blashyrkh

There was a prior post that seems to say the unit could not display the current FW version and you can not tell if you have the update or not. So odd, I want to make sure I understand that is the case, so just checking.

Mine shows 1.0, so even if I have the FW update it will still will show 1.0 instead of 1.013? Strange, I have never had a device that could not show the correct version number of FW. Hope they fix that in some future FW update. Simple solution would to have called the FW 1.1 if it is a display limitations. Duh...

Meanwhile, I don't know if I have the FM or not, it seems, it is displays the same. And being a Mac/Iphone/Ipad user, I can not update using current Window only utility. Guess I will have to beg for a friend to let me use their Windows PC.
That's correct, for displayed always the same I meant always 1.0. Honestly I don't know if it cannot be displayed at all or it's only a bug.
Anyway it's pretty ridicolous.

I guess you need for a friend

hearone

Forum Donor
I guess you need for a friend
Yeah, too many Apple friends. LOL. Perhaps indirectly by seeing it I can created the BT problem the FW is suppose to fix. If yes, get FW to be safe. My guess we will likely not see any more FW updates. Looking at the SMSL site, they don't seem to do many FW updates in general for any DAC.

Reynaldo

From what I've read this FW only fixed a bluetooth problem. There is nothing regarding sound improvement and other problems.
The impression is that it was a device released in a hurry, almost a copy of the SMSL SU9 Pro.

It's displayed always the same, since it's 1.013

Why? Which condition?
Because I emailed SMSL technical support who replied within half a day, advising me to update the firmware only if my DAC shows problems. They motivated this curious answer by pointing out to me that since not all audio chains are the same, some problems can occur only with some amplifiers. This means that they do not rule out the possibility of malfunctions after an update

Blashyrkh

From what I've read this FW only fixed a bluetooth problem. There is nothing regarding sound improvement and other problems.
The impression is that it was a device released in a hurry, almost a copy of the SMSL SU9 Pro.
I don't remember the full thread, but the BT fix was said by Smsl or was supposed?
Because I emailed SMSL technical support who replied within half a day, advising me to update the firmware only if my DAC shows problems. They motivated this curious answer by pointing out to me that since not all audio chains are the same, some problems can occur only with some amplifiers. This means that they do not rule out the possibility of malfunctions after an update
I guess they are right, but I think it's ridicolous they don't say explicitly which is the fix to understand if it may be better to update or not

Reynaldo

I don't remember the full thread, but the BT fix was said by Smsl or was supposed
I found where it explains about the FW.

Blashyrkh

I found where it explains about the FW.

Many thanks

I used also BT a lot and never had issues, probably mine was already updated or never replicate the issue.
Anyway it seems not a big deal, what bothered me was the user that had a strong sound burst on his equipment when power on his dac.
And probably the firmware fixes that behaviour

Top Bottom