• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 168 72.4%

• Total voters

Gleb2411

Please write to us what changes you saw after the firmware.

Attachments

• SMSL DO300 Update Instructions_EN_.pdf
    460.2 KB · Views: 90

Gleb2411

The instructions are the same for these devices.
I flashed it according to the do200 instructions.
Main firmware file.

Kiko1974

I have a question: on the update intructions it says to connect the SMSL DO3 to the USB port but not the input USB port. The SMSL DO3 only has one USB B port! How do I do the connection to update my DAC?

Feesh

Hello everyone! Does anyone experience ''popping'' during bitrate changes?

WIIM Pro (coax/optical)> DO300 (xlr/rca)> AO200 - Loud pops (AMP volume at 70%) only when switching to a lower bit rate (192khz>96khz > 44.1khz), the reverse switch (lower to higher) has 0 pops.

The popping is NOT present while streaming from my Desktop PC via USB.

Also tested 2 different D-6s units aswell and a different AO200 MKII amp, all had the same ''popping'' issue. The issue is not present on my old SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (even with amp volume above 70%).

Is this common on newer SMSL DACs?

Last edited:

Wild 7

Hello everyone! Does anyone experience ''popping'' during bitrate changes?

WIIM Pro (coax/optical)> DO300 (xlr/rca)> AO200 - Loud pops (AMP volume at 70%) only when switching to a lower bit rate (192khz>96khz > 44.1khz), the reverse switch (lower to higher) has 0 pops.

The popping is NOT present while streaming from my Desktop PC via USB.

Also tested 2 different D-6s units aswell and a different AO200 MKII amp, all had the same ''popping'' issue. The issue is not present on my old SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (even with amp volume above 70%).

Is this common on newer SMSL DACs?

I’m going to setup the same streaming / DAC as yours, should I be worrying ?

Feesh

I’m going to setup the same streaming / DAC as yours, should I be worrying ?
I don't think so, seems to be a very well recieved DAC. But maybe do some tests just to make sure.

Kiko1974

I updated my DO300 to the latest firmware to check if it sorted out the issue with the excess of gain when playing DSD files or SACD'S. It doesn't, DSD still sounds louder than it should, and believe me, MoFi doesn't use dinamic range compression on their masterings, their SACD's are not compressed or brickwalled, right the opposite.
But the firmware update DOES make a difference when playing DSD/SACD's. Before the update when playing DSD I not only got too much gain (I've read on a couple of websites that as It comes from the factory is adding around 7/7.5 dB's of gain instead the +6 dB's, which is the standard), I also got a "wall of bass" with some SACD's, like with MoFi's Eagles' Hotel California, Van Halen S/T or Michael Jackson's Thriller.
After the update those MoFi SACD's are still bass heavy, I think the original recordings are this way, but I don't get that "wall of bass" that left the sound, and me, overwhelmed.
I also noted that with PCM, either red book or High Res, It sounds a bit brighter but nothing important. I have the digital filters for PCM set to Linear Fast, as Amir recommends, but with HiRes material the fast roll off doesn't have any effect, at least none I can hear.

Kiko1974

Another issue I detected on the SMSL DO3: the I2S input. It reverses channels with DSD, either when playing DSD files or an SACD. Getting into the configuration menu and invert the I2S input doesn't sorted out the problem. It inverts I2S channels with PCM regardless of its resolution, but not with DSD, channels stay the same. I tried to reset the SMSL DO3, it doesn't work. I tried to reset the DAC and then switch it off, it doesn't work. I tried both and then disconnecting the SMSL DO3 from power and then power it back, it doesn't work.
It looks like the I2S input is badly inplemented, I'm sure a firmware update could address the problem, but I doubt SMSL Will do that.
So I'm now using the S/PDIF output from the Chinese HDMI audio extractor and feed the SMSL DO3 DoP that gets channels Right either with PCM or DSD audio data.

Wild 7

Another issue I detected on the SMSL DO3: the I2S input. It reverses channels with DSD, either when playing DSD files or an SACD. Getting into the configuration menu and invert the I2S input doesn't sorted out the problem. It inverts I2S channels with PCM regardless of its resolution, but not with DSD, channels stay the same. I tried to reset the SMSL DO3, it doesn't work. I tried to reset the DAC and then switch it off, it doesn't work. I tried both and then disconnecting the SMSL DO3 from power and then power it back, it doesn't work.
It looks like the I2S input is badly inplemented, I'm sure a firmware update could address the problem, but I doubt SMSL Will do that.
So I'm now using the S/PDIF output from the Chinese HDMI audio extractor and feed the SMSL DO3 DoP that gets channels Right either with PCM or DSD audio data.

It is totally a design fault/error, should there be any rectification from a responsible manufacturer ?

Kiko1974

It is totally a design fault/error, should there be any rectification from a responsible manufacturer ?
Who knows. I don't think SMSL may do a recall program to change this model to a new one that doesn't have this issue and other glitches/design errors that this DAC has. I don't think either that SMSL does a firmware update that may solve, or not, as not all issues/glitches a device has may be fixed with a new firmware.
I bought my DO300 from Amazon Spain and I think if I push their customer service I may get a refund.

Maybe the SMSL DO300EX doesn't have this kind of issues and its I2S input works properly, or maybe it has. I honestly don't know what to do, if taking the chance with the SMSL DO300EX, that uses an AKM IC DAC, and if I like its sound and the problems with the DO300 have been sorted out, or keep the DO300 and use the S/PDIF and DSD over PCM. I don't think using DoP by its S/PDIF input may degrade DSD's sound quality compared to I2S at this price range.
I don't know why Chinese and other DAC's manufacturers adopt standard HDMI inputs. I know if they use HDMI ports they'd have to pay a royalty for its use to the company that developed HDMI. By using I2S manufacturers they have to pay two royalties, one for using an HDMI port, and to PS Audio for adapting/developing I2S using an HDMI port.
Using an standard HDMI port on a DAC would bring several benefits, one is using a way to connect a transport or an HDMI audio-only player using a copy protected connection following Sony's mandatory SACD/DSD playing, and one that has proved for many years to be fully reliable.
And second, It would save us the use of Chinese off-brand HDMI audio extractors that may not be fully reliable.
Just to finish, I get as a conclusion that these new Chinese brands are a hit or miss. When properly designed they offer great performance at an unbeatable price, but sometimes they put out on the market products that are either half baked or plain faulty by design, without a proper customer/product support.

Wild 7

I guess mainly because the super short products lifespan of modern DAC, a better DAC chips can be developed in 1 or 2 years time and SMSL wants to take control of the low and mid price range, that is why they have all kind of connection, standard that you want with similar outlook.

But as usual, PRC QC sucks !

Kiko1974

I guess mainly because the super short products lifespan of modern DAC, a better DAC chips can be developed in 1 or 2 years time and SMSL wants to take control of the low and mid price range, that is why they have all kind of connection, standard that you want with similar outlook.

But as usual, PRC QC sucks !
I fully agree, Chinese quality control are laughable.
I think the way they design their DAC's is, choosing a good, sometimes a great IC DAC, couple it with off the shelf processing IC's (for bluetooth connection and its codecs, different audio formats, PCM, DSD, MQA...) and so so (sometimes good) power supply and a not bad (again, sometimes even good) analogue stage, put everything together into a reusable for different models case, check that it works, and that's It.
The end result uses to be unpredictable, sometimes the end result is good, and other times the product works fine with some audio formats, but it's glitchy with others, as is the case with the SMSL DO300 and its DSD playing.
Next time I'm on the market for a new DAC, I'll take with a grain of salt the reviews I read on line.

Wild 7

I do agree with you that unless it is proven that I2S do a better job than HDMI audio, I see no point why we should pursuit down the lane.

Seems all those PRC made bargain hifi components all has some kind of defects, isn’t it ?

Kiko1974

I do agree with you that unless it is proven that I2S do a better job than HDMI audio, I see no point why we should pursuit down the lane.

Seems all those PRC made bargain hifi components all has some kind of defects, isn’t it ?
I don't think all PRC products are defective, but Chinese products are known for having poor to nonexistent quality control.
I think one of the few Chinese companies that didn't follow this trend was Oppo when they made some of the best multiformat disc players, with great engineering, top notch performance and were built like a tank.
I talked to Amazon Spain Customer Service and I got a refund for my DO300.
I've ordered the SMSL DO300EX that seems to use two different AKM D/A IC's, I don't know the point of using two different D/A IC's from the same brand in tándem. After reading some reviews it seems like the DO300EX is a great performer that doesn't have the issues when playing DSD, I2S input included.
I'm receiving it next Saturday, I'm eager to hear how it sounds and if it's actually glitch free.
For those of you who have owned a DAC with an AKM D/A IC, How would you describe the sound of AKM compared to Sabre D/A IC's?

Feesh

I got my 2nd SMSL DO300 unit and still have popping issues when changing bit rates.

It has been pointed out that the problem might be my amp (SMSL AO200).

But at this point I have tested 2 different D-6s' and 2 different DO300s (the D-6s also with a different AO200 MKII amp). All seem to exhibit popping issues when using coax or optical. The only DAC not having those issues is my old Sanskrit 10th MKII.

I am quite new to the Audio world, is there something else I might be missing?

The attached video was filmed with the amp at 70%, just going back and forth between 2 different songs on Tidal (Android) streaming via Wiim Pro through coax.

tades

anyone knows if changing the volume above 0 ( default +2dB for example) may change the sinad? It would stay flat at 125 like the last steps in the SINAD vs Volume graph?
Hello Excellent question ! Did you get an answer?

tades

It seems so when I see smsl claims for 132dB SNR for XLR which are 5 Volts.
Am I correct to believe si?

Top Bottom