• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 168 72.4%

• Total voters

Blashyrkh

The use of filter off behavior is similar to NOS described here:

it's mainly the advantage of not using filter that may introduce artifacts, but they may have other drawbacks.

the issue here is that people does not know exactly how NOS works and may think of broken devices, it would have been better not to have this option, because you can live with every other filter you have in the dac without issues

Giangi71

The use of filter off behavior is similar to NOS described here:

it's mainly the advantage of not using filter that may introduce artifacts, but they may have other drawbacks.

the issue here is that people does not know exactly how NOS works and may think of broken devices, it would have been better not to have this option, because you can live with every other filter you have in the dac without issues
Yes, just tried yesterday with upsampling 768 on Roon, MQA disabled, filter off. Everything OK and the sound was better than other filters :)

Thx1326

Does anyone know what connection they are making to the DAC during these tests and reviews - USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 from the source?

Most of the newer SMSL DAC's now have the smaller USB-C port. However, SMSL recommends that you feed this USB-C port on the DAC from a USB 2.0 (NOT 3.0) from the source which would require a USB Type A to USB-C cable. Has anyone tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 as the source and what the differences or advantage is in using the 2.0 vs. 3.0?

Thanks in advance.

Blashyrkh

SMSL recommends that you feed this USB-C port on the DAC from a USB 2.0
Where?? And why??

Anyway it's all BS.
Usb 3 is totally fine, and you cannot find a true usb2 port on PC anymore and an adapter doesn't make it 2.0.

And no you will not hear any difference if the usb port 3.0 and cable is well made

Last edited:

Thx1326

Where?? And why??

Anyway it's all BS.
Usb 3 is totally fine, and you cannot find a true usb2 port on PC anymore and an adapter doesn't make it 2.0.

And no you will not hear any difference if the usb port 3.0 and cable is well made
I was simply asking if anyone has compared the two ports to see if there were any issues with one vs. the other. And there are USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the Raspberry PI which will be acting as a music server to feed the outboard DAC. When the manufacturer (SMSL) was asked this same question, they replied "recommending" using a 2.0 port when available. I was trying to find out the why?

Thx1326

As a follow-up, the "real" explanation is that the use of a USB-C input is simply to save space on the back of the DAC.

Blashyrkh

I was simply asking if anyone has compared the two ports to see if there were any issues with one vs. the other. And there are USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the Raspberry PI which will be acting as a music server to feed the outboard DAC. When the manufacturer (SMSL) was asked this same question, they replied "recommending" using a 2.0 port when available. I was trying to find out the why?
Sure, but I wanted to understand where smsl said such a thing, for which device. Because it seems something related to a pretty old one. Or a new one with old technology?

I haven't been using 2.0 for ages, and all audio interfaces are connected through a printer usb cable (that's usb 2) to 3.1 or 3.2 ports.

I think that the issue may arise if a ****** usb 3 controller is used

Blashyrkh

As a follow-up, the "real" explanation is that the use of a USB-C input is simply to save space on the back of the DAC.
Dacs do not need a usbc/3.x connection because the bandwidth of the 2.0 is enough. So it may be true that usbc is used for convenience only. But they should work fine also connected to usb3 ports

Thx1326

I was inquiring about a couple of their newer models (obviously any of them with a USB-C input) and the reply from several dealers AND SMSL confirmed that they all recommended using a 2.0 USB port.

Blashyrkh

I was inquiring about a couple of their newer models (obviously any of them with a USB-C input) and the reply from several dealers AND SMSL confirmed that they all recommended using a 2.0 USB port.
I see, sorry mate cannot help you on this.

I have been using usb3 ports for ages, no issues. The printer cables used for these dacs are Anyways 2.0, and usb3 ports must be compatible with 2.0.

From my point of view, suggesting using 2.0 in 2024 is pretty ridiculous and unless they support their suggestion with reasons and evidence, I would say it is still bs.

Mikig

5F67A32B-3880-4838-83B4-A690DDBACA85.jpeg

Kiko1974

I've had my DO300 since last May and I'm very very happy with the sound of It, specially with HiRes material.
I've read on a website, I don't remember its name, that this DAC has a problem with DSD as It boosts over+6 dB, something that must be done as -6 dB on DSD equeals 0 dB on PCM. I personally and after played plenty of SACD'S and DSD files ony DO300, haven't noticed this, to my ears DSD is played at its right level. Has anynody experienced any issues when playing DSD?
There's one issue I have when playing DSD files and SACD'S vía the I2S input, and that is a cliking noise at the very beginning of starting DSD playing, either DSD files or SACD'S. That may not be a problem with the DO300. I'll explain: I play my SACD'S and DSD files with a Sony X-800 M2 UHD BD player that can also play SACD'S and DSD files. As this player lacks any analogue audio outputs, I'm using it's HDMI 2 port that is an audio only output. The HDMI 2 output of the Sony X-800 M2 goes to a Chinese HDMI audio deembedder the outputs all audio from an HDMI output but unprotected. DSD/SACD'S can be output both as DoP (DSD over PCM) or I2S as plain DSD.
I'm using the I2S output of the HDMI deembedder to the I2S input of the DO300 (using HDMI cables) as I2S is a better way of transmitting/transporting digital audio signal than S/PDIF that multiplexes both digital audio channels and clock signals into a single Signal/wire. Has anynody had any issues with the DO300 I2S input? I'm sure my problem is related with the inexpensive (around 120 Euros) Chinese HDMI deembedder. But this issue is minor and only happens from time to time.
Regarding the digital sound "coloring" options that this DAC offers (I don't remember its exact name now, the one that has the option to simulate tube Sound, Crystal etc...) I wonder how this affects DSD playing. As we all know, DSD can't be processed in any way on the digital domain, so my guess is that by using these "sound coloring" filters, DSD must be converted to PCM first. Do you agree with me? It's not that I want or like the sound of these filters, I like to play my music as is, without any tampering.

Wild 7

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE DO300 RE-CLOCKING THE DATA BEFORE SENDING IT INTO THE DAC CHIP ?

IF YES, THAT MEANS THERE IS NO MEANING TO HAVE ANY GOOD CLOCKING BEFORE IT, RIGHT ?

Veri

Master Contributor
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE DO300 RE-CLOCKING THE DATA BEFORE SENDING IT INTO THE DAC CHIP
IF YES, THAT MEANS THERE IS NO MEANING TO HAVE ANY GOOD CLOCKING BEFORE IT, RIGHT ?
YES YOU ARE RIGHT. THERE IS NO MEANING

Wild 7

YES YOU ARE RIGHT. THERE IS NO MEANING
I’d read the filmsy owner’s manual which does mention that it have a DPLL system and the advice in how to set it to your need.

Does that means it do re clock the data ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I’d read the filmsy owner’s manual which does mention that it have a DPLL system and the advice in how to set it to your need.
Does that means it do re clock the data ?
Yes it uses asynchronous clocking not synchronous with configurable DPLL (digital phase-locked loop) setting.

Gleb2411

Hello.
Who knows what changes are in this firmware
IAP_DO300_1v0_b14.hex
Has anyone already done this? How does the gadget behave?
Is there any point in flashing?
Why is this firmware not on the official website?

Attachments

• ISP_PC_EN2.zip
    103.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IAP_DO300_1v0_b14.zip
    286.3 KB · Views: 63

Kiko1974

Hello.
Who knows what changes are in this firmware
IAP_DO300_1v0_b14.hex
Has anyone already done this? How does the gadget behave?
Is there any point in flashing?
Why is this firmware not on the official website?
And How is the firmware done? Via USB?

Gleb2411

Yes via USB. Detailed instructions inside!
Got it. I didn't notice any changes.
It works as well as it works.
I would like to understand what has changed...

Kiko1974

Yes via USB. Detailed instructions inside!
Got it. I didn't notice any changes.
It works as well as it works.
I would like to understand what has changed...
I hope this firmware update fixes one of the issues I think this DAC has. When playing DSD files/SACD's a +6 dB boost must be done by the DAC and I think this SMSL DO3 DAC applies more than +6 dB boosting whith DSD.

Top Bottom