• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 168 72.4%

• Total voters

goodsignal

Their website contact info is confusing.No idea what firmware version is in my DO3000, I just installed the latest firmware from their website. But I really have no guts to try Bluetooth play again.

Smoey22

I cannot update mine, how do you check the already insalled firmware?

you selected this one IAP_DO300_1v0_b13? or the other hex in the second folder?
I followed the instructions in the included pdf, had to uncheck "Verify" and change "Baudrate" to 115200. You can check the current firmware version by entering the last menu option "RESET"; mind you, do not proceed further as it resets the settings. The issue is that the menu only shows two digits, e.g. "v1.0", and the new version is "v1.013". Hence, to my knowledge, it is not possible to use the menu to confirm this specific firmware version as it will show "v1.0" anyway.

Yes, I flashed with "IAP_DO300_1v0_b13.hex".

Everything seems to be working fine so far, no issues. I could swear I noticed an improvement in the stereo imaging, especially for the center stage, quite prominent to be honest. Brushed it off as placebo at first, but then my girlfriend pointed out the same later in the evening without me implying anything. I have not done any other changes to my system besides turning my amplifier (Hypex NC252MP) on and off more frequently when not in use due to the summer heat.

Blashyrkh

When I turn it on today ,it popped again, both screen dropped again! Definitely a return.
Too bad, it maybe be defective.
Could you share the settings and volume, and steps on how to reproduce? I would like to test this

Are you also able to try what you did on cheap devices? Using another BT device and another app?

Blashyrkh

I followed the instructions in the included pdf, had to uncheck "Verify" and change "Baudrate" to 115200. You can check the current firmware version by entering the last menu option "RESET"; mind you, do not proceed further as it resets the settings. The issue is that the menu only shows two digits, e.g. "v1.0", and the new version is "v1.013". Hence, to my knowledge, it is not possible to use the menu to confirm this specific firmware version as it will show "v1.0" anyway.

Everything seems to be working fine so far, no issues. I could swear I noticed an improvement in the stereo imaging, especially for the center stage, quite prominent to be honest. Brushed it off as placebo at first, but then my girlfriend pointed out the same later in the evening without me implying anything. I have not done any other changes to my system besides turning my amplifier (Hypex NC252MP) on and off more frequently when not in use due to the summer heat.
Thanks, I didn't change the Baudrate since was not explicitly written. But it doesn't work either, download timeout error when reads the configuration
I am on windows 11

Edit: doing it now on another win10 pc

Last edited:

Gerardo61

Me too. After upgraded firmware I found a better sound stage. I don't think it is placebo or immagination

Bud Spencer

What the heck. I have to try too. Soundstage is only thing im guessing about this unit. that could bee more deeper and 3D.

Gerardo61

What the heck. I have to try too. Soundstage is only thing im guessing about this unit. that could bee more deeper and 3D.
Yup, you can do it without problem. It is very important follow the instructions enclosed with zipped file. Be carefull and use "IAP_DO300_1v0_b13.hex" to upgrade. The first time I used the "MM32F103xx_o.hex" and panic the DO300 was dead and it didn't turn on. So I repeated the complete procedure using the corrected file and everything works perfectly. Great shot!

goodsignal

Too bad, it maybe be defective.
Could you share the settings and volume, and steps on how to reproduce? I would like to test this

Are you also able to try what you did on cheap devices? Using another BT device and another app?
My system is Ifi Zen streamer USB to SMSL DO300 balanced to Bryston 3B pro to Monitor Audio Gold 100. Volume setting on DO300 around -30db.
Second time popping is after I turned on amplifier and DO300, just when I turn on my Ifi Zen streamer , big bang . And flapping noise continued till I turned off DO300.
Luckily I still have my Topping E50, used yesterday night, no issue so far. So it is not my streamer issue.
If you use a modern amplifier, probably you can not duplicate this issue. Because it has speaker protection circuit. I just love my old Bryston .

Thanks for answering my post.

Bud Spencer

Yup, you can do it without problem. It is very important follow the instructions enclosed with zipped file. Be carefull and use "IAP_DO300_1v0_b13.hex" to upgrade. The first time I used the "MM32F103xx_o.hex" and panic the DO300 was dead and it didn't turn on. So I repeated the complete procedure using the corrected file and everything works perfectly. Great shot!
I believe too that something changed soundwice.

Haven't yet had change to listen through speakers, but got goosebumps listening Ellie Goulding - Your Song from headphones. That didn't happen yesterday. :D

Bud Spencer

I believe too that something changed soundwice.

Haven't yet had change to listen through speakers, but got goosebumps listening Ellie Goulding - Your Song from headphones. That didn't happen yesterday. :D

It really changed how this sounds to better !
I remember compairing this song yesterday several times A/B: ing with DO300 and D1se

Now After update Ray charles moved from left side more middle and way more back in soundstage.

Soundstage is bigger and deeper
Please confirm that I'm not crazy !? :D

Gerardo61

It really changed how this sounds to better !
I remember compairing this song yesterday several times A/B: ing with DO300 and D1se

Now After update Ray charles moved from left side more middle and way more back in soundstage.

Soundstage is bigger and deeper
Please confirm that I'm not crazy !? :D
You are not crazy :)

Bud Spencer

You are not crazy :)
Hmm. Forget this Charles moving from left to further back.

I have pair of KEF R7's
It's my setup and seems that sitting 10 cm more left, changes soundstage positioning drastically.

Ray were again much more on the left side when sat a bit off sweetspot.

Alltough, I still think soundstage got better after update.

joqueval

will you attach the firmware?
Hi @Burns
Sorry because I haven't been here for a few days.
The firmware that they sent me to update is the one that they have later included on the web.
I hope the problems have been fixed.
All the best

hearone

Forum Donor
SMSL seems really proud of some of their latest DACs having 11 OPA1612s vs a much small number on their other DACs. What is the function and value? It is related to the DAC using the newer ES9039PRO chip?

All I know is that the OPA1612 is a very good op amp used in hight-end equipment and typically they're used for I/V conversion on some DACs. But 11 in DO300 vs 5 in the very similar DO200 MKII?

Thanks for any input!

Toku

Major Contributor
SMSL seems really proud of some of their latest DACs having 11 OPA1612s vs a much small number on their other DACs. What is the function and value? It is related to the DAC using the newer ES9039PRO chip?

All I know is that the OPA1612 is a very good op amp used in hight-end equipment and typically they're used for I/V conversion on some DACs. But 11 in DO300 vs 5 in the very similar DO200 MKII?

Thanks for any input!
The ESS ES9039PRO and ES9038PRO are chips that have DAC functions for 8ch. Depending on the DAC product, there are models that use only 2ch out of 8ch and models that use all 8ch. As a result, the number of OP amps used for the output I/V converter is completely different from 2 to 8. In addition to this, two are used for the balanced output circuit and one for the unbalanced output circuit. It becomes the combination of 11 pieces and 5 op-amps in total.
When using all 8ch, 4ch is connected in parallel and 2 sets are used as 2ch. This will further improve THD+N.

hearone

Forum Donor
The ESS ES9039PRO and ES9038PRO are chips that have DAC functions for 8ch. Depending on the DAC product, there are models that use only 2ch out of 8ch and models that use all 8ch. As a result, the number of OP amps used for the output I/V converter is completely different from 2 to 8. In addition to this, two are used for the balanced output circuit and one for the unbalanced output circuit. It becomes the combination of 11 pieces and 5 op-amps in total.
When using all 8ch, 4ch is connected in parallel and 2 sets are used as 2ch. This will further improve THD+N.
Thanks, If I am tracking you the reason for the different # op-amps on the ES9038PRO (DO200 MKII) vs the ES9039PRO (DO300), it seems to imply that the DO200 MKII does not use all the 8 available channels (4 in parallel)- i.e. a 2 channel design. If correct, is it valid to say the DO200 MKII does not fully exploit the ESS3038 chip where the DO300 with its ES9039PRO chip does? Or is just an implementation decision? Maybe more cost driver vs performance?

Side Note: I had noticed some DACs use the ESS non-pro 2 channel chips both in one chip stereo and 2 chip to get stereo. Never have seen an explanation, but I just assume the 2 chip ESS non-pro design just give a little better SINAD over the one non-pro chip, but still cheaper than going all the way to a ESS 8 channel PRO chip design.

But I am beginning to see why it is said at ASR- don't focus on the chip but on the implementation. Lot of options for a DAC, it seems.

Thanks again!

Here is the descriptions SMSL gives for the # of op-amps.

DO200 MK11- 5x High-End dual op amp OPA1612A and a large number of audio grade components

DO300 - 11 high-end dual op amps and a large number of audiophile components

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks, If I am tracking you the reason for the different # op-amps on the ES9038PRO (DO200 MKII) vs the ES9039PRO (DO300), it seems to imply that the DO200 MKII does not use all the 8 available channels (4 in parallel)- i.e. a 2 channel design. If correct, is it valid to say the DO200 MKII does not fully exploit the ESS3038 chip where the DO300 with its ES9039PRO chip does? Or is just an implementation decision? Maybe more cost driver vs performance?

Side Note: I had noticed some DACs use the ESS non-pro 2 channel chips both in one chip stereo and 2 chip to get stereo. Never have seen an explanation, but I just assume the 2 chip ESS non-pro design just give a little better SINAD over the one non-pro chip, but still cheaper than going all the way to a ESS 8 channel PRO chip design.

But I am beginning to see why it is said at ASR- don't focus on the chip but on the implementation. Lot of options for a DAC, it seems.

Thanks again!

Here is the descriptions SMSL gives for the # of op-amps.

DO200 MK11- 5x High-End dual op amp OPA1612A and a large number of audio grade components

DO300 - 11 high-end dual op amps and a large number of audiophile components
Your consideration is correct.
I think the choice between using all 8ch and using only 2ch depends on the manufacturer's sales strategy.
Most of the time, buyers only look at the model number of the DAC chip and don't know the actual circuit configuration. In addition, if all 8 channels are used, the number of op amps for the I/V converter will increase significantly and the product price will rise. Therefore, I think that the manufacturer decides which one to adopt based on the assumption of the purchaser of the product.
There are many people in ASR who take the measurement results absolutely. For those people, even a slight improvement in THD+N is a big attraction and arouses their willingness to buy.

I am also very attracted to products using ES9039Pro and ES9038Pro. However, in recent DAC products, the difference in sound quality between high-end and low-end has become smaller, and the performance improvement every year is remarkable. So I haven't reached the point of buying a high-end product yet. I mostly use cheap products such as Topping E30ll and E50.

Top Bottom