• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

ShinMolina

Wow! 2 weeks at customs is too much.
It's because the new EU rules, every parcel gets processes by customs now. Until some weeks ago, only the parcels of orders which cost was 22€ or more got processed. Even some parcels between 22€ and 150€ didn't get processed by customs.

Just talked to an agent this morning and told me that the system was saturated, too many parcels to check by customs. Good job EU, that's the way to go!

SOUNDSONIC

So if the power goes out and returns, the unit will turn itself on? That's bad design.

Its also common to the SU9 and probably to the SH9. They are designed to be always plugged in to AC power and in standby mode when turned off by the RC or by pushing the volume knob. Some experts believe that solid state audio equipment's performance and longevity improves when continuously left in standby mode.

Toku

Major Contributor
Every time power cord of DA-9 is plugged into power socket, screen of DA-9 turns on regardless power button was in off position before pluging into power socket. Is it normal for DA-9?
In your explanation, it means that the DA-9 is turned on even though the power is not coming. It's very strange!

ceausuc

Its also common to the SU9 and probably to the SH9. They are designed to be always plugged in to AC power and in standby mode when turned off by the RC or by pushing the volume knob. Some experts believe that solid state audio equipment's performance and longevity improves when continuously left in standby mode.

I believe all electronics are designed to be always plugged into AC :)
Why do you think it has a standby status and not the usual 2 states: on/off?
I have a SA300 and if I power it off it remains off, no matter if I unplug/plug power supply.
I also consider that any amp not doing so is broken by design.

SOUNDSONIC

I believe all electronics are designed to be always plugged into AC :)
Why do you think it has a standby status and not the usual 2 states: on/off?
I have a SA300 and if I power it off it remains off, no matter if I unplug/plug power supply.
I also consider that any amp not doing so is broken by design.

Got also a SA300 and it behaves as you described. Maybe its a design flaw for the DA9 and SMSL modified this by incorporating a power switch on the AO200.

My power source has a switxh. Whenever I switch it on both my DA9 and SU9 power up automatically at the same time. Thats good for me. Maybe not good to some...

Last edited:

ShinMolina

I could understand that the equipment should be kept on because of capacitor and stressing of similar components. But to the level that Paul from PS Audio says? No, not even close. He is the king of subjective analysis.

I have basic measurements of all my equipment and they measure the same and sound the same as the day I bought them. I think some people usually goes to a level were they should worry more about cosmic rays than equipment burn-in.

ceausuc

Got also a SA300 and it behaves as you described. Maybe its a design flaw for the DA9 and SMSL modified this by incorporating a power switch on the AO200.

My power source has a switxh. Whenever I switch it on both my DA9 and SU9 power up automatically at the same time. Thats good for me. Maybe not good to some...

I have an old Lenovo mini-pc that has this problem.
Once I was away from home something like 2 weeks, I shut it down but I forgot to physically unplug it from power outlet before leaving. When I returned home it was up and running :) Not good for me :)

Crakzor

is it possible to turn the screen off? If i remember correctly the SA-400 screen could turn off automatically

gallantus

So after a month or so with the DA-9, I highly recommend it to anyone. And no, I am not here to preface my recommendation with BS like, "it depends on your taste", "it depends on the setup of your other gear," blah blah blah, BS, BS, BS, I'm a sissy and I need to make disclaimers and blah blah blah.

I have an one-liner here: I highly recommend the DA-9 to anyone and everyone (period)

Still can't believe this damn thing is a Class D kicking ass like this.

Last edited:

dunkink

So after a month or so with the DA-9, I highly recommend it to anyone. And no, I am not here to preface my recommendation with BS like, "it depends on your taste", "it depends on the setup of your other gear," blah blah blah, BS, BS, BS, I'm a sissy and I need to make disclaimers and blah blah blah.

I have an one-liner here: I highly recommend the DA-9 to anyone and everyone (period)

I hope measurement data by Amir backs up soon.

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning

@gallantus, I agree with you completely with my early production model SMSL DA-9. I've not had any audible issues, or DC offset/pop noises or screen freezes. I did have some QC issues that I was able to rectify myself. I too have recommended the amplifier to several others who have thus far not had any issues themselves.

I will be picking up a SMSL AO200 once Amazon JP has it back in stock. I want the screen to line up with my RME which has it on the right side and the volume knob in the middle. And the screen can be timed to shut off. Otherwise internally the guts of the amp are identical.

Infineon with their MERUS line really took the original IRC class-D amps and made them affordable and unlike other class-d amplifiers, they have a very musical sound (totally subjective opinion). The amplifier has all the qualities we look for as far as sonic abilities. Putting the QC issues that have crept in, I think this implementation of the chipsets is a real winner. I have stated on several occasions that I would easily put it up against an amp that costs in excess of 10x more and do a blind test to see what people prefer. I think it really is that good when it's operating as it should.

Poultrygeist

You're happy with it and that's all that matters.

6th0

If your computer shares the same socket it's even worse! So to say a piece of equipment by itself is faulty or a poor design isn't entirely accurate or fair.

Thank you for this advice, Jokan! I just received my DA-9, cranked it up to 70 and heard static and a whine. I troubleshot it to the L30 headphone amp (an E30 runs into the L30 and are both RCA) which is powered by the same power strip as my PC. I moved the PC to another outlet (but is probably shared in the wall) and it eliminated the whine and about 85% of fuzz!

Would I eliminate it altogether if I ran an RCA to XLR converter from the L30 to the DA-9, or since it started out as unbalanced, the unbalanced noise will still be there?

Thanks for getting me 95% there!

Toku

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, the DA-9 issue hasn't been improved yet.
Buying a DA-9 is like buying a lottery ticket.
The person who wins the lottery can be very lucky and happy.
But most people are discouraged.
At the moment I recommend the AO200 so that you don't feel sad.

dunkink

What makes you so confident that AO200 would not have the issue like da-9? Is it simply because it was released later than ao200? It seems there are simply lack of ao200 users as compared to da-9 on the internet right now

Toku

Major Contributor
What makes you so confident that AO200 would not have the issue like da-9? Is it simply because it was released later than ao200? It seems there are simply lack of ao200 users as compared to da-9 on the internet right now
I'm sorry, I don't understand the meaning of "bot".
I purchased the DA-9 and Sabaj A20a and was the first to notice the flaws in each and report them to the ASR first. At the same time, I reported the symptoms to the manufacturer in detail, and Sabaj acknowledged the problem, but SMSL did not comment at all. And the symptom of DA-9 is also occurring in the products currently on sale.

After that, Sabaj contacted me that there was a problem with the power supply unit and improved the product, but there is no specific answer as to when the improved product will be released.
Since DA-9 is a product planned and sold by Shenzhen Audio, it may be wrong to report to SMSL, but SMSL's unfaithful response is the usual style.

I also purchased and checked the AO200 to track down issues with the DA-9 and A20a. Fortunately, no problems have been found with the AO200 so far.

gallantus

My first DA-9 had screen freezing issue. But I brought it from Apos and got an headache free exchange. My current DA-9 works fine.

gallantus

Alright so check this out. I was able to differentiate 24bit/96 vs. 24bit/44.1 down sample from the 24/bit/96 in a blind ABX test using foobar ABX plugin. I was able to do it 7 out of 8 times. I could of gotten 8 out of 8, long story.

Anyways, if I can differentiate the difference of such hi res tracks 7/8 times. I think this unit is fairly high performing, but still need Amir to run his audio precision analyzer on it to confirm.

So for $250, anyone thinking of it, just get it. But make sure you get it from a reputable vendor in case, there are issues and you need to return.

Last edited:

Clayton_78

I still have some doubts that are putting off my purchase.
I even decided that IF I buy it, I'll buy the AO200, that on/off button on the back alone brings me emotional comfort. haha
1) Still not sure if it will replace the height of my TPA3255 which is fine.
2) I worry that the AO200 might have the same defects as the DA-9, and we have fewer AO200 users to report possible problems.

Remember that $250 in Brazil is a considerable amount for something that could soon become a paperweight since the process of shipping a product back to China is stressful to say the least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom