• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small size speakers has more clear sound than big size?.

Cybertech911

Hello, does the size of the speaker affect its efficiency? Because I've heard that compact speakers provide a better and clearer sound than large ones.
I have a little jbl flip6 and a friend who has a large Bluetooth speaker.
My JBL still sounds better than his speaker, and I must say that

napfkuchen

My LG XBoom360 does what its product name suggests... It sounds very boomy. Although it is advertised mainly with the 360 degree Sound to me it requires a lot of eq to get decent/acceptable sound throughout a room.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hello, does the size of the speaker affect its efficiency? Because I've heard that compact speakers provide a better and clearer sound than large ones.
I have a little jbl flip6 and a friend who has a large Bluetooth speaker.
My JBL still sounds better than his speaker, and I must say that
No. Generally smaller speakers sound not clearer. They actually might be lacking bass, if this is what you mean by clearer but I would not consider that an advantage.

Smaller speakers are also not more efficient, actually the opposite is usually the case that larger speakers have more dB SPL / 2.83V.

As with all generalizations there are exceptions and not all speakers are well engineered (especially the low cost / BT / mass market ones).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Often larger speakers are designed to be loud, and clarity is secondary. Once you decide to optimize everything, it gets more expensive.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think there might be some truth to this in the sense that smaller speakers won't have as much low-end energy below 200 Hz, and when I mix live sound or master records, that's where all the mud lives. Below 200 Hz. So if you have less information down there someone might interpret that as clearer.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like you would likely listen near field to small speakers, too. To some degree that takes the room out of it.

Top Bottom