• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singers of ASR

ayane

Forum Donor
Well... it has been a while since I popped in to ASR! I've been lurking nonetheless because I'll always be a bit of a gearhead, and this is the best spot to get a fix for measurements :p

But besides being an audiophile, I'm much more so a melophile - and I love to sing! It is the greatest joy in the world to sing, and I've been doing it as an amateur since I was six years old, at weddings and parties. I've never studied formally and haven't had any training through the years... until recently. There is one singer who shattered my hesitation to dedicate my life to singing and train to become a pro, and that is a singer I discovered towards the end of last year: Dimash. Seriously, this guy is out of this world, and stokes my dormant passion in a way no one else has. Hearing him has woken me up and got me to pursue classical training, and I finally begin my journey...

So, I wanted to ask you guys: any singers in the house? What got you into singing? Who has inspired you? What styles/languages do you have an affinity for?

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll have to check out Dimash!

I'm a singer (not professionally, but I train like I am), and I'm finally comfortable saying so. I wanted to know how to sing since I was a child, but had no idea how to do it; terrible pitch, tone, couldn't carry a tune, very limited range, and the range I had sounded... awful. I didn't actually believe I was physically capable of singing, but research said otherwise.

So I found a vocal coach that I could trust, and started studying commercial voice--pop, rock, country, R&B, musical theater, and maybe a touch of popera; but no pure classical or opera. It's the hardest-easiest thing I've ever done, and by far the most enjoyable endeavor I've ever undertaken.

A music producer recently talked me into going into the studio to record a song, and I had a studio orientation session last Sunday... Hopefully it turns out well.

Good luck to you on your training, and enjoy the process!

P. S. I strongly encourage you to buy a Zoom (or similar) style recorder to record your practice sessions if you don't have one already.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
A member @Cylphio lists his profession as singer in his profile.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wanted to ask you guys: any singers in the house?

I sang the top harmonies of some old doo-wop type stuff during my stint in 1980 runnting the PA for a dive bar rock band.

We couldn't think of a good name for the band, and final decided on "Alias" (noun: a false or assumed identity) somehow.

I don't think I could do that now, maybe, haven't tired.

I had a whistling part too, but my lips don't work for that any more, for sure.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Modern technical approach to singing: https://books.google.ca/books/about/The_Structure_of_Singing.html?id=45QYAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y

Book is in the spirit of ASR. Focus on anatomy, and a dedicated chapter to mythbusting.
Great book (it's in my library). My coach was trained and mentored extensively by, among others, Richard Miller. That was part of the criteria of finding a coach I could trust.

Another book that paved the way for modern singing technique is The Voice of the Mind by E. Herbert-Ceasari as well as his other texts.

Last edited:

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
You're a talented vocalist! I enjoyed your audition video even more than the performance video you shared above. The raw sound of a professional singer in a live room is hard to beat.

Cylphio

You're a talented vocalist! I enjoyed your audition video even more than the performance video you shared above. The raw sound of a professional singer in a live room is hard to beat.
thank you, in fact I have to admit that I tend to prefer simple recordings and live performances than elaborated sounds

Top Bottom