• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sinad

Klint

Hello

I have been looking at the Sinad explanation in the forum and get it, can calculate back and forth, i am an expert.

But, what does it mean, how do i notice difference.
Looking at miniDSP HSD and NAD C658.
The miniDSP is maybe ok with 112dB.
The NAD is not good t all with 90dB.
I have a Marantz AVR 7015, completely useless with 80dB.
Just cant seem to pinpoint the uselessness.

Has anybody got an explanation to where one would hear this.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a word, no.

Sinad is a composite figure which includes both noise and distortion, which are very different issues.

Neither is a problem in the quantities even your 'completely useless' Marantz AVR produces.

S.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i am an expert.

But, what does it mean

I rest my case ;)

But seriously, your not bound to hear anything. Check out one of these threads with multi percent distortion added to music and have some fun :)

but what is important is that you can see how transparent your device is. From 96 on it’s fully transparent for CD quality audio, so 16 bits. You will never have 24 but transparent system, since the laws of physics are against us there. For DAC’s 20 to 21 bits is doable. For amps that is very rare.

Don’t get started on speakers. They would have a very bad SINAD score (obviously dominated by distortion)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As pointed out, it is a combo of noise and distortion, so it depends on your audibility of each.

Amir has stated that ~116dB is where he can bet his life that it is transparent for everyone.

100dB would be enough for most everyone, and for sure if not doing A/B comparisons.

Even 80dB should sound fine and be a non-issue unless doing A/B comparisons.

OP
K

Klint

Thanks guys.
I found this forum and finally found a place where science could tell me what is good enough.
Away from "listen to this one, only 1000euro more, do you here the....blabla."
I have only been able to here differences with speakers to be honest.

This was helpfull +100 and its a good product.

OP
K

Klint

I would like to say that a little bubble within high end is bursting.
The really best products, now cost a fraction of what has been said to be the best ones.

Top Bottom