• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Blumlein 88

Graz_lay think it's more a dig at trump that then us car industry but could be wrong?

Let's be honest there great engineers all over world just because I don't like the HellCat or the Demon doesn't mean there not great cars and I can appreciate the effort to build and design thoses vehicles

I wonder how much motoring knowledge and experience we have in this thread alone I would like member to share their thoughts, views and opinions on there mode of transport and help others out be that Cars Motorbikes Peddle Bike or horse and carriage if your that Old :oops:

Should change thread title to show us your Rides instead of Cars?
It's a thread about cars not Trump or nationality.

OP
W

W2S

To get the Thread back on track

Here the Black 335D X Drive

The wife didn't like the black colour so I ended up with two go figure

0_IMG-20190225-WA0006.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To get the Thread back on track

Here the Black 335D X Drive

The wife didn't like the black colour so I ended up with two go figure

View attachment 22601
I am intrigued why you went for X-drive?
For years BMW didn’t bother to import their X-drive models into the UK, believing it unnecessary here, Mercedes were the same but one sees more and more of them nowadays.

OP
W

W2S

For years BMW didn’t bother to import their X-drive models into the UK, believing it unnecessary here, Mercedes were the same but one sees more and more of them nowadays.

Sort of forced upon me

First nice old lady wrote off my E90 335D she was fine the old lady not the car

and then BMW only made the 335D in the F30 as a X Drive so that's how I ended up with the X Drive

Wife was changing over her E46 330i M sport and she was complaining I always get her a less model so she got a 335D X Drive as well

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it does had both car treated with

Opti-Coat Pro before driving the vehicles

https://www.ultimatevalet.co.uk/

Stuart the owner is a really nice chap and goes out of his way to get the job done

Now I only wash the cars only once every 4 to 6 months
One day we'll have self driving cars, and a robot to wash and wax them for us! :cool:

While I'll accept and enjoy the self driving, I do still like driving myself if not so much as when younger. I've washed and waxed a plenty, and won't regret when coatings make it a total non-issue (they almost do now) or we have robots for the job. I'll give up the satisfaction of a clean shiny car when I get to also give up the labor to make it so.

Of course eventually we'll not even have our own cars. Young people now care much less about it or a license. So it won't bother them to simply ring up a ride on their phone.

Krunok

Major Contributor

I'm more intrigued why he went for D(iesel) instead of gasoline.. :(

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more intrigued why he went for D(iesel) instead of gasoline.. :(
Most people used to here since the fuel consumption (since fuel is sold by volume not weight) is better and a lot of people like the feel of an engine with low down power. It is only disappointing when you try to go quicker and realise you were already near to flat out before giving it revs.
Now particulate emissions are becoming a big issue, not just CO and NOx, they are less popular.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A diesel engine driving the wheels through a good auto gearbox can be a very pleasant and frugal way to power a car.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I like my Volvo, it's fast, reliable and comfortable on long journeys, but there are a few things I would like it has, like 4WD (Haldex), DSG auto box with at least 7 gears and active sport suspnesion. Not that I really need it, but it would be nice to have. :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A diesel engine driving the wheels through a good auto gearbox can be a very pleasant and frugal way to power a car.
I have never owned a diesel car, though I have driven loads.
I learned to drive in a Land Rover but have never owned a 4wd car either, never seen the need since winter tyres on a 2wd work well and give better brakes and cornering in poor grip conditions whilst 4wd helps traction on slippery surfaces but does nowt for steering or braking.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have never owned a diesel car, though I have driven loads.
I learned to drive in a Land Rover but have never owned a 4wd car either, never seen the need since winter tyres on a 2wd work well and give better brakes and cornering in poor grip conditions whilst 4wd helps traction on slippery surfaces but does nowt for steering or braking.

IMHO modern 4WD (like Haldex) works better than any 2WD, especially if equipped with front and rear LSD.

I do have front LSD (Quaife, mechanical type) and it does help in cetrain driving scenarios.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned both petrol and diesel cars, if well implemented both work perfectly well. One caveat on diesel is that for urban driving the economy tends to be poor and they only really make sense if you do quite high mileage and mainly extra urban. That said the biggest difference between claimed and actual economy of any car I have owned was a Golf 1.4TSI with cylinder de-activation although in other respects it was a terrific engine, being free revving and with plenty of torque.

Krunok

Major Contributor
One caveat on diesel is that for urban driving the economy tends to be poor and they only really make sense if you do quite high mileage and mainly extra urban.

My Volvo (400HP, 1700kg) has winter urban consumption of 15.1l/100km and 16.5 during summer. Average speed beeing app 25km/h).

At 140km/h consumption is app 9l/100km and steeply climbes after that.

P.S. these figures were pretty much the same when car was stock (230HP).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO modern 4WD (like Haldex) works better than any 2WD, especially if equipped with front and rear LSD.

I do have front LSD (Quaife, mechanical type) and it does help in cetrain driving scenarios.
4wd can only be better in traction limited situations, which rarely occurs here so I consider I would be stupid to carry the extra weight 90% of the time.
I get zero pleasure from powerful front wheel drive cars, fancy diffs is just lipstick on a pig for them.
My whole career has been how to make racing cars quicker and 4 wheel drive would definitely be quicker in F1, but we banned it back in 1982 iirc.

Krunok

Major Contributor
4wd can only be better in traction limited situations, which rarely occurs here so I consider I would be stupid to carry the extra weight 90% of the time.
I get zero pleasure from powerful front wheel drive cars, fancy diffs is just lipstick on a pig for them.
My whole career has been how to make racing cars quicker and 4 wheel drive would definitely be quicker in F1, but we banned it back in 1982 iirc.

Once you exceed 220-240HP/tone every road surface becomes traction limited.

From which type of drive you get most pleasure is your private thing. On the other hand, fact that mechanical LSD helps a lot with FWD is not a personal opinion but mechanical science.

P.S. LSD of course helps a lot with RWD as well. In case you have 4WD you need both of them for optimal performance.

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Frank Dernie, I'm aware you know much more about LSDs and car engineering than I, I just wanted to stress out that although you don't like FWD cars LSD is still helping them. But then, you know that too. :D

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RWD vs. FWD debate is one of those arguments that will probably never end. I think if you are a keen driver then RWD is more fun but that FWD is a better option for most people most of the time. I used to drive Subaru Legacy's with permanent 4WD and they were terrific cars. Superb build quality (better than any other cars I have owned), unfortunately they were quite expensive to run.

Top Bottom