• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

David_M

Electricity comes from there.

I feel electricity through my earphones.

Am I the only one with electricity?
Are you saying you are getting an electric shock from your headphones when they are plugged into the EX5? If so, that's NOT normal.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you saying you are getting an electric shock from your headphones when they are plugged into the EX5? If so, that's NOT normal.
If there is no ground connection, leakage currents from the power supply often produce tingly sensations on conductive surfaces. This may be the case here. As EX5 has a 3-pole power cord, it is intended for grounded mains power, so the leakage currents would be directed to the ground.

Headphones typically don't expose conductive surfaces, though.

Sensation

IF THERE IS NO GROUND CONNECTION, THE CURRENT LEAKING FROM THE POWER SUPPLY CAUSES TINGLING ON THE CONDUCTIVE SURFACE. THIS CAN BE HERE. THE EX5 HAS A THREE-POLE POWER CORD, SO IT'S FOR GROUNDED MAINS, SO THE LEAKAGE CURRENT IS DIRECTED TO THE GROUND.

headphones generally do not expose conductive surfaces.

Electricity flows through the earphones, not the headphones.

6.35 Test with earphones on unbalanced jacks

Sensation

6.35 Test with earphones on unbalanced jacks !!!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

6.35 Test with earphones on unbalanced jacks !!!

Electricity is supposed to flow through the earphones. That's how earphones work.

By the way, the 'balanced' XLR is wired to the unbalanced 6.35" connection inside the EX5. There is no difference between the signal that goes through either connection.

Sensation

Electricity is supposed to flow through the earphones. That's how earphones work.

By the way, the 'balanced' XLR is wired to the unbalanced 6.35" connection inside the EX5. There is no difference between the signal that goes through either connection.

Test your earphones by plugging them into the 6.35 port.
Electricity is felt in the earphone ear.

Can anyone tell me if this amplifier is qualitatively different in sound signature from, for example Drop Thx 789? Now i've got e1da d which serves as a dac connected to THX and although i like how it sounds, i feel like the dac part of this chain could be better. By reading reviews on the internet you can find out a lot of contradictory things about ex5 that I don't really want to believe (like non resolving, veiled sound??). Is there anyone with experience who could describe the sound characteristics?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've received my silver EX5 and I'm happy with it so far. As I type this I'm listening in high-gain mode at 60% volume on my Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Previously I was using the headphone jack on my microphone interface (a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) turned up nearly all the way, and never sure I was getting all the bass.

If @JohnYang1997 would be willing to take two suggestions to the software/firmware developers, there are a couple changes I think could make the device more handy:
  1. I noticed a fairly loud click on my powered monitors when switching from headphone out to line out mode. I realized it only happened if there was audio playing at the time and the headphone volume was louder than the line out volume. So I believe it is switching to the speakers, THEN reducing the volume a split second later. (EDIT: I just tested this again, and less sure this is what's happening.) I would suggest that the device briefly mute audio when switching output destinations, then ramp it up over 50ms or so.
  2. I am using both the USB input and Bluetooth input, depending whether I'm working at the desk on my big desktop computer or lounging on the couch with my laptop. I don't know if this is possible, but it would be cool if the device had a mode to mix all the inputs together, or maybe switch to whichever one is sending an audio signal besides just silence. That way I wouldn't need to keep looking for the remote.
I'm not qualified to evaluate the audio. I cannot detect any flaws that aren't in the source material.

As far as the industrial design, the unit looks nice. I'm glad the volume control is a knob. I like the orange display. I'm glad there's no bright blue LED I'd have to cover up.

Hi, were both your points addressed in firmware update?

Music1969

Major Contributor
As EX5 has a 3-pole power cord, it is intended for grounded mains power, so the leakage currents would be directed to the ground.

Sometimes the 3rd pin on the power cord / plug does nothing with SMPS.

Many SMPS have the input side with AC earth not continuous with the DC output side.

This Topping features SMPS inside so probably leakage currents from the SMPS output are flowing through him, as you originally wrote.

Continuity check would be the way to verify though.

Solution is just to ground - if one doesn't want to DIY, iFi Audio sell grounding adapters:

Raducub

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me how is this unit performing when using optical input and a TV connection? I have tested equipment that cannot handle high jitter sources and manifest interruptions. Thanks!

so yeah, i've compared this one with THX789 and big no...
EX5 is somehow muddier, there is a lack of transparency, cleanness, less umph in bass, less dynamic than THX.
Drop made trully excellent amp, shame it didn't made dac which will be popular as THX with balanced outputs. I'm returning EX5. Now i'm thinking over either getting d10 balanced, SU from SMSL (a little bit too pricey) or stay with E1DA.

Anti-Climacus

so yeah, i've compared this one with THX789 and big no...
EX5 is somehow muddier, there is a lack of transparency, cleanness, less umph in bass, less dynamic than THX.
Drop made trully excellent amp, shame it didn't made dac which will be popular as THX with balanced outputs. I'm returning EX5. Now i'm thinking over either getting d10 balanced, SU from SMSL (a little bit too pricey) or stay with E1DA.

I don't mean to sound rude, but, apart from the subjective impressions which as such are impossible to verify/refute, is there a way to back up your remarks about Topping EX5 and especially it's headphone amp with any kind of objective data? I mean, the measurements are there for everyone to see (at the start of this very thread), yet one sees an abundance of completely unfounded comparisons between electronic devices - it's a little bit disheartening, frankly.

I don't mean to sound rude, but, apart from the subjective impressions which as such are impossible to verify/refute, is there a way to back up your remarks about Topping EX5 and especially it's headphone amp with any kind of objective data? I mean, the measurements are there for everyone to see (at the start of this very thread), yet one sees an abundance of completely unfounded comparisons between electronic devices - it's a little bit disheartening, frankly.
On paper it is good, thats why i bought it, but man, the difference exist and it is very noticible. Just hearing single sound like some kick drum and by comparing them It is clear for me that EX5 sound is muffled and there is less impact, energy given than with THX. Reviews on youtube are similar to my EXperience.

Top Bottom