• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Input Sensitivity settings on monitors

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Specifically with the following equipment:

Topping EX5 DAC/HP Amp/Pre-amp

Going into:

JBL 308P Monitors

Connected via XLR balanced, which @amirm measured in his review of the EX5 at 4Vrms over XLR balanced outs, rather than the usual 2Vrms RCA out..

What should I set the input sensitivity to on the monitors, +4dBu or -10dBV ?

I understand it's usually +4dBu for pro audio equipment and -10dBV for consumer equipment, but does the fact the the EX5 outputs at 4Vrms mean it's closer to pro than consumer?

I have no doubt I'll get some very technical and detailed answers, which is brilliant.

But just make sure there's an idiot's guide simple sentence in there which clearly says "Set it to +4dBu" or "Set it to -10dBV". I'm easily confused. ;)

Many thanks in advance.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+4dBu for a balanced connection(XLR or 1/4" TRS plug), -10dBv for an un-balanced connection (1/4" TS plug).

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Line level is a bit "fuzzy". Most pro outputs are capable of more than +4dBu and most inputs are sensitive enough (have enough gain, etc.) that you don't need the full +4dBu. The same goes for consumer line level of -10dBv.. Most outputs have more than enough signal and most inputs have more than enough sensitivity. That way just about everything works together until you start mixing & matching pro and consumer equipment and then you might have issues.

It's not unusual to get 0dBv (1V) from consumer equipment and the output from your TV is probably different from your CD player, etc. Plus, there is often a volume/gain control and you've got quiet songs and loud songs, etc...

With home equipment nothing is calibrated but in a pro recording or broadcast studio things probably are calibrated.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Line level is a bit "fuzzy". Most pro outputs are capable of more than +4dBu and most inputs are sensitive enough (have enough gain, etc.) that you don't need the full +4dBu. The same goes for consumer line level of -10dBv.. Most outputs have more than enough signal and most inputs have more than enough sensitivity. That way just about everything works together until you start mixing & matching pro and consumer equipment and then you might have issues.

It's not unusual to get 0dBv (1V) from consumer equipment and the output from your TV is probably different from your CD player, etc. Plus, there is often a volume/gain control and you've got quiet songs and loud songs, etc...

With home equipment nothing is calibrated but in a pro recording or broadcast studio things probably are calibrated.
(Back in 2020 when I was setting up my JBL 308p speakers with my TV I managed to work out that my TV was outputting 2V at max volume on it's AUX out, I was quite surprised, it's a Sony TV from about 2013 (Sony Bravia KDL42w653a))

Top Bottom