• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect ASR has gained a rep as a challenge for trolls. Few people here fall for it for long, and our moderators aren't afraid to step in. So, a victim of our own competence.
The worst thing is when countless members try to argue & engage with them.......but if they are a valid newbie with questions then it makes sense to engage......but if they are obvious trolls then just brush them off.....it's a judgement call.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What if you could hear,smell,visuallize,feeel it as 3d sound, transfer via sound to places. live the abstrac wake your senses. .a bit outside of box we are used to.. sound & hearing is one of most connected to brain

What does smell and other senses have to do with sound signatures of a DAC ?

pau

shows no connection, we are not there yet unfortunately.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my question here for you is, forget how you perceive sound or measure anything. worth a dime in the spectrum.. (think soul + look u 100 years from now is easiest)

What if you could hear,smell,visuallize,feeel it as 3d sound, transfer via sound to places. live the abstrac wake your senses. .a bit outside of box we are used to.. sound & hearing is one of most connected to brain

i dont think we are anywher yet, but its also something you cant measure with current narrow perspective..

You have multiple senses all together, have you connected any within each other? get a smell after a song to connect to a special place?

Mayby question more further if not.. start improvng as a living being, person. once you are awake letts discuss further... :)

My question for you is what coffee shop do you go to? They seem to have some pretty good stuff...

pau

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
my question here for you is, forget how you perceive sound or measure anything. worth a dime in the spectrum.. (think soul + look u 100 years from now is easiest)

i dont think we are anywher yet, but its also something you cant measure with current narrow perspective..

You have multiple senses all together, have you connected any within each other? get a smell after a song to connect to a special place?

Mayby question more further if not.. start improvng as a living being, person. once you are awake letts discuss further... :)
Gonna have to ignore this one too.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those here who claim that there are no audible differences among competent DACs and whose own DACs have selectable filters: are there audible differences among those filter settings? I certainly hear differences among the 7 filters available on my Topping D30Pro (at least some of them). Why would that be?

I don't claim that I can identify, blindly, which filter has been selected, but that's a different matter.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those here who claim that there are no audible differences among competent DACs and whose own DACs have selectable filters: are there audible differences among those filter settings? I certainly hear differences among the 7 filters available on my Topping D30Pro (at least some of them). Why would that be?

I don't claim that I can identify, blindly, which filter has been selected, but that's a different matter.
The differences have always struck me as incredibly subtle, if even audibly different.

pau

cant distinguise any differenses.´. e.g head movement has bigger effect

Trell

Major Contributor

Different filters can have different fr response that can be audible.

Image below is from the RME ADI-2 DAC FS manual for various filters:

1667662176959.jpeg

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The differences have always struck me as incredibly subtle, if even audibly different.
Oh, I agree completely, but they're nonetheless audible. And that to me puts the whole question of "no sound signature from good DACs" somewhat at question. Not enough to do "DAC rolling," of course.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I agree completely, but they're nonetheless audible. And that to me puts the whole question of "no sound signature from good DACs" somewhat at question. Not enough to do "DAC rolling," of course.
Yes and no. I would say "no sound signature from a good DAC using the best filter algorithms available in that DAC". The problem is that DAC manufacturers feel compelled (for marketing reasons) to add all sorts of non-optimal filter alternatives.

DonR

Major Contributor
I recall seeing a video/article by @amirm on listening bias and why you cannot trust your ears (cognitive bias?) but can't seem to find it on search. It would be an excellent piece of learning material for those who come to the forums saying they "trust their ears".

I think filter selection is there to appease the knob-twiddler and because everyone else does it. That is what I like about my ****** hearing and my $13 DAC. No bells, no whistles, none required.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall seeing a video/article by @amirm on listening bias and why you cannot trust your ears (cognitive bias?) but can't seem to find it on search. It would be an excellent piece of learning material for those who come to the forums saying they "trust their ears".

I think filter selection is there to appease the knob-twiddler and because everyone else does it. That is what I like about my ****** hearing and my $13 DAC. No bells, no whistles, none required.
And yet PEQ or loudness or treble/bass or even balance? Can’t have those!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet PEQ or loudness or treble/bass or even balance? Can’t have those!
Yeah, I even miss the old tone controls. Despite having Hz resolution DSP lol.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
shows no connection, we are not there yet unfortunately.

No connection to what and what are we not there yet about ?

Top Bottom