• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not against you specifically. But I have read a few people repeat your statement.

Are there scientific researches that absolutely support the claim that "musicians don’t do better than “normal” people in listening tests"? If so, please share? Thanks!
No research from me but as a side-note I've hung around a bunch of musicians in my time and some of them had no sense of sound quality when it came to stereo systems and even their band's gear. Yes, they could tune a musical instrument but when selecting speakers or PEQ'ing their band's audio system they where crappy as can be at that.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Tastes differ, I can still remember when I first heard Bach. Was certainly not overly enthusiastic, music can be compared to math. You start with 1+1 and if you know enough math you can calculate where the moon is, if you want to land a rocket on it. Not all genres require better sound reproduction.

Taste is taste, and performance is performance. Am I right in assuming that you believe all audio reproduction electronics effectively act as a musical instrument being added to the mix? If so, at what point does their contribution become insignificant?

If you are at a live concert and a mouse squeaks in a corner of the room, will it bother you?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
No research from me but as a side-note I've hung around a bunch of musicians in my time and some of them had no sense of sound quality when it came to stereo systems and even their band's gear. Yes, they could tune a musical instrument but when selecting speakers or PEQ'ing their band's audio system they where crappy as can be at that.
I wonder if there are something more scientific out there....

Like someone went to university, tested 20 music school students vs 20 non music school student, etc....

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wonder if there are something more scientific out there....

Like someone went to university, tested 20 music school students vs 20 non music school student, etc....
Is your google broken?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Is your google broken?
I would expect those who made the claim to already have good scientific links ready to share.

How about you? Got anything good in mind to share?

: P

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I would expect those who made the claim to already have good scientific links ready to share.

How about you? Got anything good in mind to share?

: P
Mine works fine. When I have questions like this, I use it.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You respond is as expected.

Please enjoy rest of your day!
You have an nice day too, friend.
Jim_U18chan.gif

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To hear the difference. You don't need knowledge, you can't learn this. Like everyone who graduated cum laude from conservatory. Not all become world famous. Good ears are needed to hear the difference. For example, you hear differences between the inversions of the same chord.
Not every audiophile is a snob. And the claim that every DAC sounds identical. Corresponds?!! with, the handling of a Porsche Cayenne is the same as the Dacia Logan.
Real blind testing is unnecessary. You hear the differences. I can still remember very well, went to listen, was curious how good such an installation sounds, which I absolutely couldn't afford.
5 digits before the decimal point. He put on a record. First thing I said, you got some wires connected wrong. He went to look and told me, you are the first to hear this. Real, amounts don't interest me.
Why are you here? You don't have golden ears, no-one does. What you hear from day to day will change with how you feel, your mood, how well you are, how warm you are - and what you believe you *should* hear. Listening sighted is meaningless to anyone else except your self.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are you here? You don't have golden ears, no-one does. What you hear from day to day will change with how you feel, your mood, how well you are, how warm you are - and what you believe you *should* hear. Listening sighted is meaningless to anyone else except your self.
To spam the community with some unique power supply for the rme dac. Sent me two unsolicited PM today about it.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To spam the community with some unique power supply for the rme dac. Sent me two unsolicited PM today about it.
Why didn't i get any? Am i not good enough?
wtfcat.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Tastes differ, I can still remember when I first heard Bach. Was certainly not overly enthusiastic, music can be compared to math. You start with 1+1 and if you know enough math you can calculate where the moon is, if you want to land a rocket on it. Not all genres require better sound reproduction.
Curious. The moment I heard Bach I heard something happening on a higher level. As time goes on, that sense of a higher level of musicianship grows. But it's odd, the more I'm drawn to Bach, the less important sonority becomes to me. I'm much more likely to listen to Bach now than, say, Debussy or Bruckner. Bach is more like the sound of music inside the head than music overheard. There's something elemental about Bach, like it's the bones of music.

derKoekje

Most audiophiles think there is at least a subtle difference between DACS and don't realize that saying the DACS sound different is like saying the portion of a DVD player that takes the 0s and 1s that are read off the disk and converts them into video can make the same DVD "look different" on the same exact TV.

I’m not going to comment on the sound portion of this as I don’t consider myself an audiophile and haven’t sampled enough equipment to be swayed, but I’ll consider myself a skeptic with regards to being able to tell one DAC or the other in a blind test for sure.

That being said, I just really want to point out that the DVD comparison makes no sense because in the case of DVD’s it’s pretty much true. Decoders should transmit a clean analog signal but this is rarely the case, which is why artifacts are common. Better DVD players do have better decoders to reduce chances of this happening. Of course, better here doesn’t mean most expensive but there certainly are differences between DVD players (though there shouldn’t) and unlike audio, you can visually spot the differences.

Same goes for cables too, actually but just like with audio equipment you don’t need a $50 cable(s). Just don’t get the cheapest in the bin without shielding.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's possible that post-filtering components after the DAC could have an effect on sound if poorly designed.
Possible, but not likely in double blind tests. The differences are so tiny that it’s very difficult to establish reliable, audible differences without “peeking”.

Top Bottom