• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Goodman

Of course they don't measure the same. Different opamps are optimized for different things. No need for Amir (or me, for that matter) to repeat the measurements that are on every opamp's datasheet.
Ok then; If a manufacturer states that he would have used a different op amp if cost contraint had allowed; is it worth switching? Exemple Asus Dac

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok then; If a manufacturer states that he would have used a different op amp if cost contraint had allowed; is it worth switching? Exemple Asus Dac
If the op amps measure the same (and given all other things like failure rate and so on are the same as well), i would expect the manufacturer to pick the less pricey part to make the product better value.

If that was your question. :cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not unless you're knowledgeable enough to rework the circuit to suit another part. These are not interchangeable jellybeans.

And that's making a BIG assumption that this isn't marketing ("If you want the good stuff, you have to buy our more expensive product.").

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are not interchangeable jellybeans.
They are if they measure the same and the other factors are the same as well. Why is that hard to understand?

And that's making a BIG assumption that this isn't marketing ("If you want the good stuff, you have to buy our more expensive product.").
True, this one i can't deny. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They are if they measure the same and the other factors are the same as well. Why is that hard to understand?
No two different types of opamps "measure the same." That's why they're different types.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Are you saying all op amps are equal and dont sound different? The op amps in a £19 Chinese media player are equal to the op amps in a high grade Dac? Just asking?

If they are both reasonably good op-amps and are implemented sufficiently well, yes.

Op-amps themselves are not a bottleneck when designing with audible tranparency in mind.

ferdybossy

To hear the difference. You don't need knowledge, you can't learn this. Like everyone who graduated cum laude from conservatory. Not all become world famous. Good ears are needed to hear the difference. For example, you hear differences between the inversions of the same chord.
Not every audiophile is a snob. And the claim that every DAC sounds identical. Corresponds?!! with, the handling of a Porsche Cayenne is the same as the Dacia Logan.
Real blind testing is unnecessary. You hear the differences. I can still remember very well, went to listen, was curious how good such an installation sounds, which I absolutely couldn't afford.
5 digits before the decimal point. He put on a record. First thing I said, you got some wires connected wrong. He went to look and told me, you are the first to hear this. Real, amounts don't interest me.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good ears are needed to hear the difference.
When has this forum started to decay?
I remember maybe 4 weeks ago we had one subjectivist every few days. Now we have several in every thread, every day new ones too.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
And the claim that every DAC sounds identical. Corresponds?!! with, the handling of a Porsche Cayenne is the same as the Dacia Logan.

Depends on how complicated a job you believe the car has to do. To you it might be an actual race, but to me a human being listening to music is more like going 100m in a straight line in less than 5 minutes. The Dacia will do that just fine.

You hear the differences.

No doubt about that. But an experience is not the same as establishing cause and effect.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real blind testing is unnecessary. You hear the differences.
What am i reading?
1583056055212.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To hear the difference. You don't need knowledge, you can't learn this. Like everyone who graduated cum laude from conservatory.
You know that musicians don’t do better than “normal” people in listening tests, don’t you?
Real blind testing is unnecessary. You hear the differences.
Why not give it a try? What do you have to lose?

ferdybossy

Tastes differ, I can still remember when I first heard Bach. Was certainly not overly enthusiastic, music can be compared to math. You start with 1+1 and if you know enough math you can calculate where the moon is, if you want to land a rocket on it. Not all genres require better sound reproduction.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not all genres require better sound reproduction.
You can say that again! Some of the pop and rock music that I listen to sounds horrible if one really admits the truth and I don't mean the musicians. :D

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You know that musicians don’t do better than “normal” people in listening tests, don’t you?

This is not against you specifically. But I have read a few people repeat your statement.

Are there scientific researches that absolutely support the claim that "musicians don’t do better than “normal” people in listening tests"? If so, please share? Thanks!

Top Bottom