• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser or Bose Headphones

Mitchie23

Hi There, I've been using a Sony MDR since 2017, and up until now I can say the sound is still excellent, noise cancellation not bad and still comfortable when worn. I'm planning to get a new one this year, I would like to try either Sennheiser or Bose. I've been researching and trying a lot and so far quite impressed with the Sennheiser HD660 bass, response, clarity and comfort. Bose 700 is also very sleek in its noise-cancelling features. I also want to share some relevant review I got - Sennheiser HD. Still looking for reviews about the Bose 700. Any recommendations based on experiences? :D

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Focal Clear is my favorite open back. I like focal for their elegia for a closed back too.

Next I like the hd 650, but I always wanted to try the 660s or hd 600's.

I think the he4xx is a surprisingly good headphone

I started with the hd 280's and hd 598's. Both were good for their intended purposes.

Last edited:

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
The two headphones you are deciding between are two very different animals and really made for different purposes. The Bose are wireless, noise cancelling, microphone, closed back. The Sennheiser are wired, open back. These are all major differences. So it really depends on what you want to use them for.

Since you have Sony MDRs, have you heard an open back headphone like the Sennheiser HD660? They are a bit different: you will be able to hear external sounds, and you people close to you may be able to hear your music if played loudly. So that is decision #1.

Decision #2 is whether you need noise cancelling.

Decision #3 is how good the wireless Bose sound with whatever music you listen to vs. the Sennheiser.

With regard to #3, I can tell you with a good bit of confidence that the Sennheiser will sound much better than the Bose if you are sitting in a controlled environment. I have a pair of the Sennheiser 58xx (Massdrop) and a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3. The WH-1000XM3 are fantastic for air travel, which is their intended use (noise cancelling). But they are not in the same ballpark with the Sennheiser in sound quality when using them in a quiet place. I also have some wired Sony MDRs and again the WH-1000XM3 are way behind.

So I would say if you are planning to sit at your desk and listen to music through a headpone amp, consider the Sennheiser - or some other wired passive headphones, like those mentioned by ShiZo. There are plenty of reviews for the Sennheisers, because they are widely considered a great sounding headphone at the price and almost a defacto benchmark for at-your-desk listening. The Bose will only be the better choice if noise cancelling or wireless are important to you; and if they are, that is OK, too.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Kinda what J touched on, some of the sennheiser options sound scale and get better with a better dac and amp. So if you are going for best sound quality and not convenience and being wireless, I would consider a quality amp dac for some of the higher end headphones.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Bose QC 35 II has very respectable and enjoyable sound. Much much better than the Sony WH-100XM3 IMHO (yes I have both—the Sony does subway and airplane duty—better noise cancelling, adjustable EQ in firmware is nice, most suited fit wise for lying down too). I also have the Senn HD580 (the original real deal). It’s most like the Senn HD600 today. Exceptional, stands the test of time as the decades roll by. If I had to keep just one. . . hmmmm. . . That‘s not a real question. I have all 3. All good. :cool:

Last edited:

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Bose QC 35 II has very respectable and enjoyable sound. Much much better than the Sony WH-100XM3 IMHO (yes I have both—the Sony does subway and airplane duty—better noise cancelling, adjustable EQ in firmware is nice, most suited fit wise for lying down too). I also have the Senn HD580 (the original real deal). It’s most like the Senn HD600 today. Exceptional, stands the test of time as the decades roll by. If I had to keep just one. . . hmmmm. . . That‘s not a real question. I have all 3. All good. :cool:

‘Yeah, can’t choose because they are all so different and serve different purposes.

I am surprised to hear the Bose are that much better than the Sony.

TungstenC

As many others have mentioned, choose them on what you're going to use them for; bose for commutes or Sennheisers for personal listening.

kestrel4

The two headphones you are deciding between are two very different animals and really made for different purposes. The Bose are wireless, noise cancelling, microphone, closed back. The Sennheiser are wired, open back. These are all major differences. So it really depends on what you want to use them for.

Since you have Sony MDRs, have you heard an open back headphone like the Sennheiser HD660? They are a bit different: you will be able to hear external sounds, and you people close to you may be able to hear your music if played loudly. So that is decision #1.

Decision #2 is whether you need noise cancelling.

Decision #3 is how good the wireless Bose sound with whatever music you listen to vs. the Sennheiser.

With regard to #3, I can tell you with a good bit of confidence that the Sennheiser will sound much better than the Bose if you are sitting in a controlled environment. I have a pair of the Sennheiser 58xx (Massdrop) and a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3. The WH-1000XM3 are fantastic for air travel, which is their intended use (noise cancelling). But they are not in the same ballpark with the Sennheiser in sound quality when using them in a quiet place. I also have some wired Sony MDRs and again the WH-1000XM3 are way behind.

So I would say if you are planning to sit at your desk and listen to music through a headpone amp, consider the Sennheiser - or some other wired passive headphones, like those mentioned by ShiZo. There are plenty of reviews for the Sennheisers, because they are widely considered a great sounding headphone at the price and almost a defacto benchmark for at-your-desk listening. The Bose will only be the better choice if noise cancelling or wireless are important to you; and if they are, that is OK, too.
Yes, the Bose QC35ii are absolutely brilliant for travel, and occasionally for isolating myself from a noisy household. They allow you to block out the surroundings and live in your own world. The sound quality is really good. And they are phenomenally comfortable. I've loved mine since I first got them years ago, and I still do. But now that I spend more time in quiet surroundings, I am considering the Sennheiser HD650 as a second set; however I don't want to spend the money until I know what sort of DAC and amp I need with them. It seems that, unlike the Bose QC35ii, they are not plug-and-play. I worry that, without the right ancillary devices, they won't outperform my first love.

kestrel4

Hi There, I've been using a Sony MDR since 2017, and up until now I can say the sound is still excellent, noise cancellation not bad and still comfortable when worn. I'm planning to get a new one this year, I would like to try either Sennheiser or Bose. I've been researching and trying a lot and so far quite impressed with the Sennheiser HD660 bass, response, clarity and comfort. Bose 700 is also very sleek in its noise-cancelling features. I also want to share some relevant review I got - Sennheiser HD. Still looking for reviews about the Bose 700. Any recommendations based on experiences? :D
If you are not sure about whether to choose a closed-back ANC or an open back, then go for the closed-back ANC in order not to be restricted by wires, noise leakage and the possibility of needing an amp.
If however you've already got a decent, go-anywhere closed-back ANC, but want a better soundstage and a more absorbing and realistic experience, buy an open back as a stay-at-home luxury. I did. I agonised for weeks before taking the plunge. My new Sennheiser HD-650 has none of the convenience, and social manners of my much-loved and beautiful Bose QC35ii but the sound is special.

Top Bottom