• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

comfortable over-ear for producing music

jean-benoit

hello

i'm in the need of the most comfortable pair of headphones to work on my music, when i cant use my studio-monitors (neighbours).

headphone preferences: open or close-back doesnt matter, size also doesnt matter. they "just" need to be comfortable.
soundwise: not looking for that really analytical or flat sound. they need to have a good amount bass and clarity as i need that to work on some bass heavy music. i take a break every hour, but the sound can not be too exhausting. i think i would be really in for a "fun" sounding pair of headphones.

sound profiles i really enjoy: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro, 700 Pro X / Sony MDR-1AM2
sound profiles i dont like that much: Sennheiser HD 650, AKG Pro K701

FYI: the beyerdynamics and the sony, come close to what im looking for. but i just want that extra touch of more comfort, and willing to lose some of the sound quality for that.

500 USD would be kind of a price limit to me

cheers to you all

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It all depends on individual regarding fit and with that comfort.
Try to audition the Denon AH-D5200 and try to find them for less than 500$ (quit achievable for around 400$ or even less). They are closed back and easy to drive (but not too easy like mentioned Sony) 103 dB/mW, 24 Ohms, 1800 mW max. With default earpads they will send like similar to Sennheiser 6xx series with better, deeper and more bass (as somehow I think that's what you are looking for) other than that they pretty good follow the Harman (to a extent of uper bass to low mids gentle rise which is rare to find). With thick, good angular sheap skin pads (which are more comfortable) they become pretty annalitic. So difrence is sub to low bass ±2 dB with stock/angular pads from Harman (I prefer - 2 but I guess you do +2). In my opinion they have pretty good highs which isn't a easy thing to find. If you can not try them out first don't buy from the place you can not return them if you are not satisfied with minimal cost for yourself. Best regards and have fun.

markanini

Major Contributor
Comfort is such a personal characteristic. For your budget I would consider traveling a few hours to somewhere where many sets can be demoed. Or if you reside in the EU market take advantage of the 30 day return window a few times.

OP
J

jean-benoit

thanks for your inputs. i live in switzerland, so i most likely will have the opportunity to test out some headphones.
sometimes i don't even consider certain brands, like denon for example, which i absolutely gonna try if i have the chance.

what do you guys think of bose? i never considered it, because it's more of a "fancy" lifestyle brand to me.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well Bose has a closed back ANC over ear headphones which are one of the better ones in such category. As I don't have a high opinion of such headphones which only sound good with embedded DSP processing (and still good and not great) and you don't need ANC it's better that you skip them.
Seriously try to listen to those Denon's if you have a chance and it's not about premium look but more the sound and build quality. Foster have similar offering (with similar driver's) but their build quality is questionable. Currently they are on discount (390€) where I live.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most comfortable headphones on the planet are the Sennheiser HD700 if you can find one. Replacement pads are $90 from Sennheiser though. The AKG K371 is really comfy and compact, with Harman tuning so just about anyone would like them. Easy peasy to drive as well. The design is easy to take on and off a lot also which might help. The Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm is one I had for years, VERY comfortable, but the DT770 250 ohm has the bass extension that thumps all the way down if the treble peak doesn't bother you.

buscon

The Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and the 900 X are the most comfortable in my opinion.
From what you write I guess you do not need closed back but open back (which are always more comfortable), so I would not go for the 700 X, unless you do need a closed back headphone.

OP
J

jean-benoit

i think the most important thing with my particular use case is: comfort and fun
in production stage, i don't need to make difficult mixing decisions. clearly, i need to be able to make some decisions.

the AKG K371 looks interesting, how is the bass response on those cans?

i wonder if the newly released Sony MDR-MV1 could fit my needs.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AKG K371 is a tight budget OK headphone and not built to last.
Highs are far from good but you could give them a try if you wish.

staticV3

Master Contributor
i wonder if the newly released Sony MDR-MV1 could fit my needs.
Extremely comfortable supposedly, but you can't trust the sound without EQing it:
https://youtu.be/eVHDhyJzFQo
Screenshot_20230913-190954_YouTube.png

You'd have to EQ that treble shelf out of the response.

Phil Spectrum

For unparalleled comfort with studio quality sound, you should check out the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. Open back, feather-light, ultra-comfortable, reference tuning with a slight bass boost -- and they go down to 5Hz so there's room to add bass with EQ if you want (though I hear plenty without EQ).

I have forgotten I am wearing them. They're made for pro studio use, and at 470 ohm they do benefit from an amp. But I've run them directly out of a MacBook Air with ample volume.

Thomann.de probably has the best prices in the EU and a 30-day return policy.

Here's what the pros say:

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
They're made for pro studio use, and at 470 ohm they do benefit from an amp. But I've run them directly out of a MacBook Air with ample volume.
If a MacBook Air is enough for ample volume, then what benefit does an Amp give these?

Phil Spectrum

Wider soundstage, deeper bass. I mostly run them from a VE Megatron DAC/Amp, so some of that effect may be from the Megatron's DAC as well as the amp -- but a lot of serious reviewers have said amping helps them.

I've also tried to run them on an Apple dongle from my phone, which is just a DAC, and that's not enough power.

Phil Spectrum

It looks like the ASR review of ATH-R70X was...meh.

But if you read the fine print, the way they fit the measuring device was tricky -- which speaks exactly to how comfortable they are.

My strictly personal opinion is that the measuring device didn't accurately read the ATH-R70X, exactly because they are so accomodating and comfortable to the actual human head. It looks from the graphs like they didn't get the seal for accurate bass -- but I have to say, my ears do.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just want to say that the Audeze LCD-X / XC are suitable for mixing (as much as any headphone, anyway) and I personally find them quite comfortable. However, they're really heavy, so if that bothers you, then keep looking.

OP
J

jean-benoit

thanks for all the suggestions. i will not use the headphone for mixing or mastering purposes. simply for making/producing music and enjoying it. the headphones don't have to be dead neutral. i need something to wear for long period of time. the DT 900 Pro X is a really great headphone, sonically, but the wearing comfort is just not there for me.

i will see if i can get my hands on the R70x though.

Top Bottom