• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose QuietComfort 45 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 21 11.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 24.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 93 50.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 13.6%

• Total voters

perdido34

Thanks. So if I've got this right, wired is still referred to as wired. Correct?
Yes. Because if it is turned off, then Bluetooth is also turned off (as well as ANC), and the only way these headphones could then get an input would be through a cable. But I have never used mine with the cable, so I don't know what you get if the unit is turned off and connected by cable to a source.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Because if it is turned off, then Bluetooth is also turned off (as well as ANC), and the only way these headphones could then get an input would be through a cable. But I have never used mine with the cable, so I don't know what you get if the unit is turned off and connected by cable to a source.
You get the horrible frequency response Amir shows in his review.

Garlucky

Thanks

Macatouille

Anyone have good Bose app EQ settings? Just looking for something that fits the reference curve in the OP as much as possible.

I got these today and they don’t sound quite right. Dialing down the bass has helped some, though.

This is a review, listening test and detailed measurements of the Bose QuietComfort 45 wireless/wired Noise Cancelling headphone. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $329.
I know you probably didn’t use the Bose app past just setting up the headphones but could you determine the best EQ settings?

perdido34

The Bose app only allows three points of adjustment--there is no way to approximate any sort of target curve using the app. I just adjusted it so it sounds decent with the music I listen to.
Anyone have good Bose app EQ settings? Just looking for something that fits the reference curve in the OP as much as possible.

I got these today and they don’t sound quite right. Dialing down the bass has helped some, though.

I know you probably didn’t use the Bose app past just setting up the headphones but could you determine the best EQ settin

Macatouille

The Bose app only allows three points of adjustment--there is no way to approximate any sort of target curve using the app. I just adjusted it so it sounds decent with the music I listen to.
No, I know you can’t get it dead on or anything. Just not enough minute control in the app. I was just hoping for something closer is all.

What settings do you use?

perdido34

No, I know you can’t get it dead on or anything. Just not enough minute control in the app. I was just hoping for something closer is all.

What settings do you use?
I like classical music, and the bass is excessive for what I listen to, so I turn it down several notches. I have some high frequency hearing loss, so I increase the treble.

Can you see why I suggested you choose the settings based on what sounds good to you? If you're a bass-head, you wouldn't be turning down the bass; and if your hearing is normal, you might not want more treble.

alumnicesar

I know you probably didn’t use the Bose app past just setting up the headphones but could you determine the best EQ settings?
judging from the response curve, should need a treble boost and a bass reduction

staticV3

Master Contributor
At least on GRAS, it's more like one wideband bass cut and multiple narrow band treble cuts to get to Harman:
Screenshot_20231229-182245_Drive.png
Source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cudwewakteknimi/Bose QC45.pdf

Graph Feppar

Can someone please test the new Quietcomfort ( non-ultra) if they too get insane channel imbalance when used in passive mode?

Also, is it possible to use QC45 or the new Quietcomfort with ANC on and wired connection at the same time? Maybe that way you could get fast connection for gaming but without the channel imbalance.

Graph Feppar

Are there even any over-ear headphones that have a direct usb-c connection? Wireless won't work for me because i tend to leave them in the car and I'll inevitably forget to charge them (and the heat wont do any favors either). But I'd also like to be dongle-free.
Edifier WH820NB Plus, Sennheiser Momentum 4 & Accentum & Accentum Plus, Focal Bathys, Shure Aonic 50 & 40.

I am too looking for ANC headphones with audio over USB becose I want low lag for gamming and loseless for music production and I want to avoid the channel imbalance issues that ANC headphones have when wired in passive mode.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone please test the new Quietcomfort ( non-ultra) if they too get insane channel imbalance when used in passive mode?

This is to some extent a product of coupling / assembly / pads, it's difficult to say for certain if that will be a constant feature.
At high frequencies (1k Hz +), whether the feedback system is operating or not, they are extremely sensitive to coupling issues, so, when mounted on your head, you may (or may not) experience channel imbalance in that region, even when the feedback system takes care of any imbalance at lower frequencies, and even if your sample measures well on a fixture in that regard.

Also, is it possible to use QC45 or the new Quietcomfort with ANC on and wired connection at the same time? Maybe that way you could get fast connection for gaming but without the channel imbalance.

Yes.

Top Bottom