• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unless you've actually tested this (blind), no definitive conclusions can be drawn.

He's talking about frequency response at your eardrum. The acoustic interaction of your specific pinnae and the HD800, which completely encircles them unimpeded and so maximises this interaction, is likely what contributes to a frequency response at your eardrum that maximises perceived spatial effects, so the two are not independent of each other.
Where does he say that he is referring to the FR at the eardrum? And even if he were taking about it, it is still a bold claim, how does he know, what backs up this hypothesis?

GaryH

Major Contributor
That is really one of the most off-topic and evading the question answers I have seen in a long time.
It's not really, if we're talking about preference (also see the study in the blog post below that the above paper relies upon):
Where does he say that he is referring to the FR at the eardrum?
It's implicit.
And even if he were taking about it, it is still a bold claim, how does he know, what backs up this hypothesis?
1. The physics of acoustics.
2. The physiology of hearing.
3. His own research:

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
Sorry, all of the spatial effect is between your ears if you are using headphones, even if they are the most expensive audiophile headphones that money can buy.

Thanks DT
Serious question: Are you saying driver size, angle, and distance from the ear have no effect on the spatial qualities of a headphone?

MacClintock

It's not really, if we're talking about preference (see study below that the above paper relies upon).
But we are not talking about preference here. The question is if spatial effects are are consequence of frequency response (of a Headphone/IEM) or if these two things are independent. It is clear that they largely are. Spatial effects MUST depend on the FR at the eardrum, because it determines simply the total of audible impressions. But I think that even Sean Olive has not a very good understanding of how this is happening (take for example a look at the Levionson 5909 headphone from Harman (Levinson), nice FR, poor spatial effects).
It's implicit.

1. The physics of acoustics.
2. The physiology of hearing.
3. His own research:
Sorry, but I think there is lacking much more research to make solid claims.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Driver size, no.
Maybe I’m misreading this, but it appears he doesn’t completely rule out size as a contributor.

IMG_1598.jpeg

DualTriode

Where does he say that he is referring to the FR at the eardrum? And even if he were taking about it, it is still a bold claim, how does he know, what backs up this hypothesis?
The Frequency Response of the headphone is quantified on the standard GRAS 45CA Test Fixture.

If you put the same headphone on your human head your ear would be subject to the the very same calibrated SPL.

Yes there is one on my bench.

Thanks DT

DualTriode

Serious question: Are you saying driver size, angle, and distance from the ear have no effect on the spatial qualities of a headphone?

Driver size, angle, and distance from the ear are not consistent or reliable in quantifying headphone spatial qualities of a headphone. You would be the first to quibble that your ears and head are different than mine.

Perhaps your expensive audiophile headphones sound like your head is in a cave, that is not a quantifiable or repeatable result if you were to measure them across a sample of 100 headphone users.

Pick up a copy of next quarters' AES journal, you will be able to confirm that HD300S are not used for the most resent 3D audio spatial effects research.

Thanks DT

GaryH

Major Contributor
But we are not talking about preference here.
Sean is though, in the twitter thread you quoted him from.
The question is if spatial effects are are consequence of frequency response (of a Headphone/IEM) or if these two things are independent. It is clear that they largely are.
Is it? Also, two variables cannot be 'largely independent', they either are or they're not.
Spatial effects MUST depend on the FR at the eardrum, because it determines simply the total of audible impressions.
So they're not independent then.
take for example a look at the Levionson 5909 headphone from Harman (Levinson), nice FR, poor spatial effects
Says whose controlled blind listening?
Sorry, but I think there is lacking much more research to make solid claims.
Sean's main point in that thread, the claim that "frequency response is the dominant factor behind people's sound quality preferences" follows from this research, and the tweet you quoted follows from the fact that perceived spatial effects are dependent on frequency response at the eardrum.

MacClintock

Sean is though, in the twitter thread you quoted him from.

Is it? Also, two variables cannot be 'largely independent', they either are or they're not.

So they're not independent then.

Sean's main point in that thread, the claim that "frequency response is the dominant factor behind people's sound quality preferences" follows from this research, and the tweet you quoted follows from the fact that perceived spatial effects are dependent on frequency response at the eardrum.
Ok, then I misunderstood his tweet. I am not talking about preference, although I am not quite sure, I think I would prefer the HD800 with his huge soundstage and tuning out of the box to many headphones with a Harman FR, I guess. So I am happy that he does not claim that spatial effects can only be achieved with correct FR, because that is easily disproved.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Maybe I’m misreading this, but it appears he doesn’t completely rule out size as a contributor.

View attachment 290294
They're talking about how 'natural' a headphone sounds, which includes not only spatial effects but is dependent on the acoustic impedance of the headphone, and it's this acoustic impedance that Oratory's saying can be affected by driver size. I believe these acoustic impedance effects only really come into play for over-ear headphones below ~500 Hz, below the frequencies which I'd think contribute to most spatial effects, but even so, yes strictly speaking every physical parameter of a headohone that affects its frequency response can affect its spatial effects, including driver size, but that's very different from the audiophile trope of 'bigger driver => bigger soundstage'. There's no such simple relationship there.

MacClintock

They're talking about how 'natural' a headphone sounds, which includes not only spatial effects but is dependent on the acoustic impedance of the headphone, and it's this acoustic impedance that Oratory's saying can be affected by driver size. I believe these acoustic impedance effects only really come into play for over-ear headphones below ~500 Hz, below the frequencies which I'd think contribute to most spatial effects, but even so, yes strictly speaking every physical parameter of a headohone that affects its frequency response can affect its spatial effects, including driver size, but that's very different from the audiophile trope of 'bigger driver => bigger soundstage'. There's no such simple relationship there.
That appears to be true, for example the new Fiio FT3 headphone has a 60mm driver and I haven't heard anybody gushing about his spatial effects (HD800 "only" 56mm). But do you have any hints what it is then, large earcups, angled drivers? The HD800 for sure is not the only headphone having these characteristics, yet he is still a beacon of soundstage.
yes they can, just be having a small Pearson correlation, like 0.1.
It was not blind, but Amir mentioned it in his review. One really has not to do blind tests do realize if the soundstage is huge or small.

Spyart

Too all 800S owners. Could you please try my take on EQ? Since 800S based on some kind of tilted diffuse field there is no reason to move it to the harman side, instead fix some peaks in dips would be better (based on discussion on destructed soundstage with harman based eq). And could you please feedback me on what bands are questionable for you?
  1. 20hz +1.0db q1
  2. 190hz -2.8db q0.5
  3. 1025hz -2.5db q2.1
  4. 2050hz +2.6db q1.3
  5. 5440hz -4.9db q3.8
  6. 9100hz +4.3db q6.2
  7. 12120hz -3.7db q4.7
  8. 17750hz +1.9db q3.3

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That appears to be true, for example the new Fiio FT3 headphone has a 60mm driver and I haven't heard anybody gushing about his spatial effects (HD800 "only" 56mm).

The FiiO driver has a membrane diameter of 53mm... the 60mm diameter is the frame.
HD800 driver diameter is 56mm effective (well, the area is smaller as it is a ring driver)

Driver-ear distance, angle, open/semi-open, treble quality (peaks/dips) vs only lifted in amplitude all matter.
The FiiO (after some EQ) sounds great but isn't HD800(S) quality when it concerns sound and comfort.

Last edited:

MacClintock

The FiiO driver has a membrane diameter of 53mm... the 60mm diameter is the frame.
Ah ok, my bad, just reported what was written on the Fiio homepage.
Driver-ear distance, angle, open/semi-open, treble quality (peaks/dips) vs only lifted in amplitude all matter.
Ok, let's assume it is all this. Why didn't anybody coming up with a headphone surpassing the HD800 in spatial effects? It seems many costumers want this. The HD800 was introduced 2009, that is almost 15 years time of the competitors to at least catch up. But apparently nobody did.
The FiiO (after some EQ) sounds great but isn't HD800(S) quality when it concerns sound and comfort.
That is what I guessed, in this case you really get more for the money (although I usually hate this reviewers phrase).

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not really, if we're talking about preference
But we are not talking about preference. We are talking about the sound stage of HD 800S and effects of EQ on that. A claim was made that there is Harman research which suggests the FR is the primary predictor of sound stage when in reality there is none. We already have a lot of people claiming things that does not exist. It would be great if at least the educated among us could seperate their personal convictions from actual facts.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That can only mean a review is around the corner. Great! I am quite intrigued by the Fiio headphone and am looking forward to your review of it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

GaryH

Major Contributor
A claim was made that there is Harman research which suggests the FR is the primary predictor of sound stage when in reality there is none.
FR (at the eardrum) is though, and it must be, because that's how our hearing works physiologically.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
That appears to be true, for example the new Fiio FT3 headphone has a 60mm driver and I haven't heard anybody gushing about his spatial effects (HD800 "only" 56mm). But do you have any hints what it is then, large earcups, angled drivers?
Both could be contributing factors, although angle may be unlikely due to free field effects I believe not occurring until very high frequencies.
yes they can, just be having a small Pearson correlation, like 0.1.
We're talking about causal independence here. I'd rather call that minimal statistical dependence to be clear.
It was not blind, but Amir mentioned it in his review. One really has not to do blind tests do realize if the soundstage is huge or small.
High frequency hearing is required for discriminating and reliable sound judgements, including of spatial cues some of which are located at these frequencies. So is controlling for sighted cognitive biases if you want to make conclusions about the actual acoustic causes of spatial effects with headphones, and more than a single (or even a few) anecdotal reports at that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom