• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

Foulchet

I wanted the 6 series first but when I thought about it my favorite headphones are the Sennheiser RS130 which were cheap 130 euros RF headphones. Considering that I have ordered the 560S, I am now a bit cautious about headphones above 200 euros because of their targeted audience.

DeepFried

650 and 6xx are the same headphone with a different paint job.

Look I don't have either of these headphones (I have HD600's) but I've seen reviews pointing out differences and this comparison on rtings seems to point to some substantial differences, albeit with relatively minor impact on the FR.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...iser-hd-6xx/245/18987?usage=19&threshold=0.10

now of course its possible that we're confusing old and new 650's, my understanding is that there have been a number of silent revisions, perhaps the newest 650's are more similar to the 6xx, I really don't know.

Either way, it looks like there is at least as much difference from the 650 to the 6XX as there is (supposedly) between the 600 and 650.

Explorer

Look I don't have either of these headphones (I have HD600's) but I've seen reviews pointing out differences and this comparison on rtings seems to point to some substantial differences, albeit with relatively minor impact on the FR.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...iser-hd-6xx/245/18987?usage=19&threshold=0.10

now of course its possible that we're confusing old and new 650's, my understanding is that there have been a number of silent revisions, perhaps the newest 650's are more similar to the 6xx, I really don't know.

Either way, it looks like there is at least as much difference from the 650 to the 6XX as there is (supposedly) between the 600 and 650.
Reported for false information.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Reported for false information.
Prove it like he provided a link to substantiate his statements. Just because you say so won’t fly here. You have been here 1 day and already Reporting posts and making unsupported claims. Might want to dial it back or your stay here will be short. ;)

Explorer

Prove it like he provided a link to substantiate his statements. Just because you say so won’t fly here. You have been here 1 day and already Reporting posts and making unsupported claims. Might want to dial it back or your stay here will be short. ;)
The site he linked to, measured the differences that are so incredibly close, it is most likely measurement error.

And ofcourse the subjective part doesn’t even hold anything.

ragecandy

Please stop spreading false information. I compared and measured 2 brand new pairs of HD600 and HD650, and they both measured the same (taking measurement errors into account).

They sounded exactly the same as well. Level matched at 109dB volume (my standard listening volume)

Maybe those 109db already did to you what 109db do to human ears

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The site he linked to, measured the differences that are so incredibly close, it is most likely measurement error.

So you have nothing to back up your False information claim? Thought not. Your basically calling the guy a liar and when someone does that with out any corroborating evidence it pisses me off. Take the hint and walk away or provide supportive evidence that what he said and referred to are indeed false information. Oh and just because you happen to disagree doesn’t mean crap to me.

ragecandy

I wanted the 6 series first but when I thought about it my favorite headphones are the Sennheiser RS130 which were cheap 130 euros RF headphones. Considering that I have ordered the 560S, I am now a bit cautious about headphones above 200 euros because of their targeted audience.
I find the 560s really overhyped tbh, they’re harsh enough I can’t listen to a lot of songs with them, also they have plastic headband so you can’t adjust clamp at all, they do have better soundstage though

GaryH

Major Contributor
Please stop spreading false information. I compared and measured 2 brand new pairs of HD600 and HD650, and they both measured the same (taking measurement errors into account).

They sounded exactly the same as well. Level matched at 109dB volume (my standard listening volume)

Incorrect.

Oratory:
We see that compared to the HD600, at the same signal levels the HD650 exhibits more SPL in the (lower) midrange between ~80 Hz and about 1.5 kHz. Which of course leads to the difference that we clearly perceive between the HD650 and the HD600.
I wouldn't call it "more bass", I'd call it "more midrange/lower midrange resulting in an overall warmer image". But many people describe the same thing by saying "more bass".

FEJjz7I.png

buPeeFm.png

Correct.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/o1wqi6/_/h2coqyj https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/odf6tj/_/h5a6lo3

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What are you talking about? Amir listens at 114dB, so 109dB is perfectly fine.
114 dB? That is for wimps. It is like saying Jalapeno peppers are hot. I routinely listen at 134 to 134.5 dBSPL. Anything less takes the joy away.

This is my neighbor by the way. We get along famously:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There are some small differences that are spread widely across the frequency range, therefore audible (think about the effect of a 1-2dB Shelf Filter acting over a wide frequency range). Oratory has measured many many units of the HD600 and I think also the HD650 and this is what you get when you compare them matched at 1kHz:
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD650-Sennheiser HD600.png

Big differences above 6kHz and broad but smaller differences everywhere else. The reason that GaryH's graphs look different (in his post I quoted at the end of this post) is that the graphs he shows are at a constant voltage which happens to match the HD650 & HD600 in the treble, therefore it shows the discrepancy in the mids and bass more clearly. Oratory's graph I linked above I decided to match at 1kHz, hence the differences are skewed differently. Actually I'll do another graph of the same measurements but matched at just above 3kHz, which is mirroring where these two headphones are naturally matched in their voltage, so you can see:
Harman 2018-Sennheiser HD650-Sennheiser HD600 3kHz.png

And even when presented at this 3kHz matching point (which highlights the large differences in the mids and bass) it is still clear to see that the HD600 is brighter in the treble above 7kHz.

Additionally, I remember @solderdude proving that the part numbers for the HD600 and HD650 were different, so they're not identical parts.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why would Sennheiser sell ' identical' sounding and measuring headphones for a premium (HD650) when the only difference is the color scheme ?
They even go through the trouble of creating 2 different order codes for the driver assemblies (driver + baffle) that look the same.

Yes, I agree the HD600 (with used pads that are compressed a bit) sound the same as a HD650 with new pads.
The latest pads even have 1dB less bass.

They do not measure the same when fresh pads have been fitted nor do they sound exactly the same but are very similar.
HD600 vs HD650 (both with fresh pads)

hd600-vs-hd650.png

There also is a difference in distortion levels where the HD650 is slightly better.

The differences have been discussed ad nauseam in the first few pages.

The HD600 and HD650 Amir measured, most likely due to different pad conditions, do measure and sound the same so there is no reason to doubt Amir heard them the same. Below I overlaid Amirs HD650 and HD600 measurements. Maybe we can put this one to bed now ?
1626590332231.png

Last edited:

ragecandy

For myself I’d argue this is what I hear
Why would Sennheiser sell ' identical' sounding and measuring headphones for a premium (HD650) when the only difference is the color scheme ?
They even go through the trouble of creating 2 different order codes for the driver assemblies (driver + baffle) that look the same.

Yes, I agree the HD600 (with used pads that are compressed a bit) sound the same as a HD650 with new pads.
The latest pads even have 1dB less bass.

They do not measure the same when fresh pads have been fitted nor do they sound exactly the same but are very similar.
HD600 vs HD650 (both with fresh pads)

hd600-vs-hd650.png

There also is a difference in distortion levels where the HD650 is slightly better.

The differences have been discussed ad nauseam in the first few pages.

The HD600 and HD650 Amir measured, most likely due to different pad conditions, do measure and sound the same so there is no reason to doubt Amir heard them the same. Below I overlaid Amirs HD650 and HD600 measurements. Maybe we can put this one to bed now ?
View attachment 141966

I mean a bunch of people have done the experiment, 650 are lower tilted headphones, period, even with worn pads, but yeh I’ll stop arguing, I guess 1% sinad makes more difference than 2-5db bass/treble boost (depending on pad condition)
graph 8.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
emoticons like this :p can help convey sarcasm ;)

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Either way, it looks like there is at least as much difference from the 650 to the 6XX as there is (supposedly) between the 600 and 650
As pointed out by others above, this is not true. The current production HD650 and the HD6XX are the same headphone with cosmetic color differences. This has been confirmed by Sennheiser in the past and through many independent measurements. The drivers were made on the same assembly line in Ireland (now moved to Romania?) and utilize the same cup tooling with different plastic colorants.

The HD600 is slightly differently tuned then the HD650/6XX as confirmed by Sennhesier and the majority of independent measurements. They have different driver coatings and different manufacturer part numbers.

The differences in tuning are small, but have been repeatably measured. These are very closely related headphones in the same family. It is possible to find a combination of old/new HD600s and HD650/6XXs that measure more similarly than others due to manufacturing deviations over time, manufacturing tolerances affecting both, pad wear/seal, and general measurement uncertainty. This is what @amirm ran into. On average they have slightly different tuning.

Last edited:

DeepFried

As pointed out by others above, this is not true. The current production HD650 and the HD6XX are the same headphone with cosmetic color differences. This has been confirmed by Sennheiser in the past and through many independent measurements. The drivers were made on the same assembly line in Ireland (now moved to Romania?) and utilize the same cup tooling with different plastic colorants.

Thats interesting, thank you for confirming that as I wasn't aware. That does raise some questions about rtings results however, as even if we ignore the frequency response they measure structural differences between the two headphones, including different dimensions and weight. I wonder if the 650 sample they have is very much older perhaps.

Frankly this whole tangent about the 6XX is pretty off topic, so I'm happy to be done with it.

Top Bottom