• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 229 53.6%

• Total voters

usern

hey man I've got a pair of these the new version and I'm very new to this but ive got these paired with a Fosi K5 pro and i've moved onto these from the 599's for sound stage and imaging accuracy mostly for gaming and im struggling to figure out if these should be EQ'd or if they should be left at stock and im not sure if its just because im use to the heavy base boosted EQ of my 599's but i do get a almost tinny experience when listening to rock music. ive tried having the base boosted by using the K5 Pro EQ dials but then it feels like i lose that imaging accuracy. think you could help me with this?
thanks in advance

just wanted to clarify i am asking Robbo99999 specifically as they seem to have the most similar use for them as me but any input would be apricated
You can get really nice bass from 590S if you use EQ. I've used Oratory EQ preset with Equalizer APO + lots of boost at low frequencies.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hey man I've got a pair of these the new version and I'm very new to this but ive got these paired with a Fosi K5 pro and i've moved onto these from the 599's for sound stage and imaging accuracy mostly for gaming and im struggling to figure out if these should be EQ'd or if they should be left at stock and im not sure if its just because im use to the heavy base boosted EQ of my 599's but i do get a almost tinny experience when listening to rock music. ive tried having the base boosted by using the K5 Pro EQ dials but then it feels like i lose that imaging accuracy. think you could help me with this?
thanks in advance

just wanted to clarify i am asking Robbo99999 specifically as they seem to have the most similar use for them as me but any input would be apricated
Hi, you can try the EQ I use for these headphones if you like (New Version), it's at following post:
For gaming I use an approximation of that but limited to what a Graphic EQ can do within my Soundblaster G6 software, but I do use the above EQ as you see it for music listening. For gaming the boosted area between 6-8kHz I find useful, and the boost at 2kHz probably helps a bit.
You said you found them tinny, that's certainly not the case for my New Version headphones (I've measured 2 units), as the measurements show the opposite of that effect, but maybe you've got some unit to unit variation or indeed your brain is burned into softer headphone of your 599's (albeit not looked up the measurements for that one to see if that makes sense).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get really nice bass from 590S if you use EQ. I've used Oratory EQ preset with Equalizer APO + lots of boost at low frequencies.
(You did a little typo, you mean 560s)

Night Awl

Hi, you can try the EQ I use for these headphones if you like (New Version), it's at following post:
For gaming I use an approximation of that but limited to what a Graphic EQ can do within my Soundblaster G6 software, but I do use the above EQ as you see it for music listening. For gaming the boosted area between 6-8kHz I find useful, and the boost at 2kHz probably helps a bit.
You said you found them tinny, that's certainly not the case for my New Version headphones (I've measured 2 units), as the measurements show the opposite of that effect, but maybe you've got some unit to unit variation or indeed your brain is burned into softer headphone of your 599's (albeit not looked up the measurements for that one to see if that makes sense).
I'll have a look into this thank you, I am also considering sending both the 560's and k5 back and spend a bit more for the sundura's combo'd with a magni unity? as i think i want a bit more when it comes to music and general audio enjoyment what's your thoughts on this? I got the 560's as i did want more sound stage but thats got me to dip my toe into the audio world and now i think i want more and ive kinda spent the last 2 days in the rabbit hole of audio haha. dont suppose you would be willing to maybe add me on discord and perhaps you would help me abit?

Night Awl

So I've got my EQ like this and it does sound better however to get any clarity I need to have the Bass and treble dials on my Fosi K5 cranked to max? is that normal i thought it would be better to not have this as not all dac/amps have those dials?

Attachments

• 1707251714261.png
    1707251714261.png
    188 KB · Views: 48

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll have a look into this thank you, I am also considering sending both the 560's and k5 back and spend a bit more for the sundura's combo'd with a magni unity? as i think i want a bit more when it comes to music and general audio enjoyment what's your thoughts on this? I got the 560's as i did want more sound stage but thats got me to dip my toe into the audio world and now i think i want more and ive kinda spent the last 2 days in the rabbit hole of audio haha. dont suppose you would be willing to maybe add me on discord and perhaps you would help me abit?
In my experience it's hard to beat a properly setup HD560s, of which I'm most taken by a properly setup (EQ'd) New Version HD560s (more so than the Old Version). I've recently been trying an EQ'd HD800 and currently the optimised HD560s is sounding better, but I haven't spent much time optimising the HD800 yet (and I'll wait until I've been through some earwax removal (lol) which is happening in a few weeks). So I think most people can be happy that an EQ'd HD560s is pretty close to the best possible headphone experience as it's very capable in all areas of the frequency range without any real weaknesses - I think it gets to a point where there's not really much to be gained by "chasing headphones". Re Discord, I've never used it, but I'll continue to give you replies on here.
So I've got my EQ like this and it does sound better however to get any clarity I need to have the Bass and treble dials on my Fosi K5 cranked to max? is that normal i thought it would be better to not have this as not all dac/amps have those dials?
It sounds like there might be a problem with your particular unit of HD560s. I did have to send one of the New Version units back to Amazon because it had noticeable channel imbalance, so maybe there's a few duff units out there that aren't performing properly. What you could do is send it back for another HD560s, particularly if you got it off Amazon. You shouldn't have to crank Bass & Treble dials to max, eventhough I don't know how extreme Fosi K5 can go with those dials. Really the HD560s normally only needs subtle EQ to be perfect, so could be something wrong with your unit. Getting a replacement unit would rule that out, and then if you still don't like it then you're probably just after (or used to) a very different type of sound that steers away from "the average".

EDIT: quickly googled Fosi K5, it seems very unpredictable re the frequency response:
Haven't looked into this further, but it seems that you'd be better off getting a more neutral DAC/amp, as could well be the Fosi K5 screwing up the neutrality/balance of your HD560s. I'd try your HD560s with some other audio chains first, even just plugged into your phone or PC or whatever if you don't have any other dedicated DAC/amps. Fosi K5 is being completely trashed in that thread, definitely try your HD560s with some other gear before you return it for a replacement! I don't think you can hope to successfully evaluate & EQ the HD560s using that Fosi K5, that's probably what the problem is.

Last edited:

Night Awl

In my experience it's hard to beat a properly setup HD560s, of which I'm most taken by a properly setup (EQ'd) New Version HD560s (more so than the Old Version). I've recently been trying an EQ'd HD800 and currently the optimised HD560s is sounding better, but I haven't spent much time optimising the HD800 yet (and I'll wait until I've been through some earwax removal (lol) which is happening in a few weeks). So I think most people can be happy that an EQ'd HD560s is pretty close to the best possible headphone experience as it's very capable in all areas of the frequency range without any real weaknesses - I think it gets to a point where there's not really much to be gained by "chasing headphones". Re Discord, I've never used it, but I'll continue to give you replies on here.

It sounds like there might be a problem with your particular unit of HD560s. I did have to send one of the New Version units back to Amazon because it had noticeable channel imbalance, so maybe there's a few duff units out there that aren't performing properly. What you could do is send it back for another HD560s, particularly if you got it off Amazon. You shouldn't have to crank Bass & Treble dials to max, eventhough I don't know how extreme Fosi K5 can go with those dials. Really the HD560s normally only needs subtle EQ to be perfect, so could be something wrong with your unit. Getting a replacement unit would rule that out, and then if you still don't like it then you're probably just after (or used to) a very different type of sound that steers away from "the average".

EDIT: quickly googled Fosi K5, it seems very unpredictable re the frequency response:
Haven't looked into this further, but it seems that you'd be better off getting a more neutral DAC/amp, as could well be the Fosi K5 screwing up the neutrality/balance of your HD560s. I'd try your HD560s with some other audio chains first, even just plugged into your phone or PC or whatever if you don't have any other dedicated DAC/amps. Fosi K5 is being completely trashed in that thread, definitely try your HD560s with some other gear before you return it for a replacement! I don't think you can hope to successfully evaluate & EQ the HD560s using that Fosi K5, that's probably what the problem is.
My GUY!!!! thank you sooo much i dont know why i didnt even think to try not using the dac, i plugged them stright into my pc and added the eq back, its crisp, clear the bass has that little punch but not drowning i played my benchmark songs and got gosebumps for the first time with these hd560's. ontop of that the only issue is the power needed makes these now just slightly too quiet so do you have any DAC/Amp recommendations so i can replace this heap of scrap metal haha

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My GUY!!!! thank you sooo much i dont know why i didnt even think to try not using the dac, i plugged them stright into my pc and added the eq back, its crisp, clear the bass has that little punch but not drowning i played my benchmark songs and got gosebumps for the first time with these hd560's. ontop of that the only issue is the power needed makes these now just slightly too quiet so do you have any DAC/Amp recommendations so i can replace this heap of scrap metal haha
That's really great news, problem solved! For amps & DACS it's easy, just choose any that measure well here on ASR. You don't need lots of power to drive HD560s so a lot of people wouldn't even need a dedicated headphone amp. Don't spend much on it, as it's not worth it, because there's some pretty affordable well measuring DACs/amps that have been reviewed. If you want a gaming DAC then my recommendation in the SoundblasterX G6, but beyond that you have loads of options for just DACS/amps that are suitable for just music listening. So browse the DAC/amp reviews here on ASR, and start up a new thread if you need to to get some recommendations, but you can probably find your own answers by just scouring the reviews for DAC/amps. Following are reviews for items that are both DACS & headphone amps, so both combined into one unit, which is less clutter and might be cheaper than getting two seperates, but it would depend:
for example the following one is really quite cheap & measured pretty well:
Yeah, so just take a look through those various reviews & see what you come across within your budget.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the new version for 70€ (from Senn. in new cond.). You analysed it in a post before. No EQ for now.
Ah yes, sorry, that's right. It's good that you're enjoying the headphone, a crazy bargain at that price.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Macmanuk

I bought that Crinacle Zero that Amir reviewed recently - I'm new to IEM's but I find them very impressive, I'd use them more but they're making my ears itch and one of my ears is sore after using them for a few days - I think IEM's are not for me, but I could still try the foam tips. So anyway, I recommend the Crinacle Zero as an excellent audio experience (minus the pain, which is an individual thing).
Spinfit cp100+ fixed this issue for me as they are medical grade silicon. They reduced the itchy feeling a lot.

InfiniteJester

@amirm, how would you subjectively compare these to the HD58X and PC38X--and maybe even the Hifiman HE400SE? I realize acoustic memory is unreliable and I'm not sure which if any you have on hand to compare to, but I'd be interested in your opinion. These are right in the price range I'm considering.

I have the HD599, which are allegedly very similar or even superior to the HD560s according to many sources, like Rtings, and I think that the HE400se are, much, much better headphones.

Dazerdoreal

I have the HD599, which are allegedly very similar or even superior to the HD560s according to many sources, like Rtings, and I think that the HE400se are, much, much better headphones.
The build is very similar, but the sound profile is quite different.
The 560s does not have the upper bass hump which might make the 599 sound "muddy". The clarity is most likely much higher.

InfiniteJester

usern

Applying EQ you can make a lot of heapdhones sound good given they have low enough distortion.
560S has pretty low distortion, but there is not much info about it for 599. Perhaps it's similar to 598 SE measured here
index.php

which is a lot worse than 590S at low frequencies region
index.php

InfiniteJester

Applying EQ you can make a lot of heapdhones sound good given they have low enough distortion.
560S has pretty low distortion, but there is not much info about it for 599. Perhaps it's similar to 598 SE measured here
index.php

which is a lot worse than 590S at low frequencies region
index.php

Here is a comparison from DIY-Audio-Heaven.

HD599.

1000059229.png

HD560s.

1000059230.png

1000059236.jpg

I read gooh things about the soundstage of the HD560s, but they score worse than the HD599 over Rtings, and the HD599 are mediocre at best at soundstage, as Rtings reflects.

1000059232.jpg

Over Amazon.es HD599s are at 106,56€ at the moment and HD560s are at 149€.

Let me know if you see anything in the data that justifies those additional 42,44€ (33.2% increase).

Also, HD599s are at 50 Ohms and 106dBSPL. Whereas 560s are at 120 Ohms and 110dBSPL. I don't know if the European Apple dongle is enough to move the 560s, but it is enough, I can assure you so, to move the HD599s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom