• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 228 53.5%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a comparison from DIY-Audio-Heaven.

HD599.

View attachment 354849

HD560s.

View attachment 354850

View attachment 354856

I read gooh things about the soundstage of the HD560s, but they score worse than the HD599 over Rtings, and the HD599 are mediocre at best at soundstage, as Rtings reflects.

View attachment 354854

Over Amazon.es HD599s are at 106,56€ at the moment and HD560s are at 149€.

Let me know if you see anything in the data that justifies those additional 42,44€ (33.2% increase).

Also, HD599s are at 50 Ohms and 106dBSPL. Whereas 560s are at 120 Ohms and 110dBSPL. I don't know if the European Apple dongle is enough to move the 560s, but it is enough, I can assure you so, to move the HD599s.
Apple dongle easily more than enough power for HD560s. I've got the European version which is only up to 0.5V output for the dongle, and that's plenty for HD560s - I only use volume at around 16/100 from my Android phone and that's with a -9dB Negative Preamp too!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD560S refurbished for 99€ at Sennheiser Outlet

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/de-DE/p/hd-560s-refurbished/
As long as they apply the same standards for that as they do the A-stock then that's fine. I hope they're just not recycled returns that haven't been fixed or checked, because I for one have returned an HD560s because of channel balance issues, the replacement I got was fine re channel balance though, and also good channel balance for the other 3 units of this headphone that I've bought in the past. (I've measured them on my miniDSP EARS rig.)

InfiniteJester

Apple dongle easily more than enough power for HD560s. I've got the European version which is only up to 0.5V output for the dongle, and that's plenty for HD560s - I only use volume at around 16/100 from my Android phone and that's with a -9dB Negative Preamp too!

That's surprising. Are you sure that your version is the European? I need to get above 50/100 in Android even with my IEMs and no negative preamp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That's surprising. Are you sure that your version is the European? I need to get above 50/100 in Android even with my IEMs and no negative preamp.
On Android, the volume is limited by an additional 75% on top of the EU volume limit.

By default, you will only get 40mVrms out of the EU dongle with volume set to max.

This Android limit can be disabled using apps like USB Audio Player Pro, which can control UAC2 hardware volume.

zonk

As long as they apply the same standards for that as they do the A-stock then that's fine. I hope they're just not recycled returns that haven't been fixed or checked, because I for one have returned an HD560s because of channel balance issues, the replacement I got was fine re channel balance though, and also good channel balance for the other 3 units of this headphone that I've bought in the past. (I've measured them on my miniDSP EARS rig.)

If something is not ok it's possible to return it within 30 days and 2 years warranty. I personally never heard of any complaints who bought at Sennheiser Outlet.

InfiniteJester

On Android, the volume is limited by an additional 75% on top of the EU volume limit.

By default, you will only get 40mVrms out of the EU dongle with volume set to max.

This Android limit can be disabled using apps like USB Audio Player Pro, which can control UAC2 hardware volume.

I tried using that app, but the solution fails constantly. I bought the Ifi Go Link and that works with everything without issues.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, definitely the European Version. And I've overridden the Android volume limit that staticV3 is talking about in the following post, so I can get the full 0.5V output:

Alchemist_

It’s interesting, if the ear pads have been changed, then what ear pads should I buy for them (about spare ones), the same as before from 559? 559 Did they change the ear pads 559 too?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s interesting, if the ear pads have been changed, then what ear pads should I buy for them (about spare ones), the same as before from 559? 559 Did they change the ear pads 559 too?
You already asked that question over in the other thread:
It was discussed earlier in that thread. We don't know if the spare earpads which are indeed the HD559 earpads (which are the same earpads that are on HD560s), we don't know if they are the New Version soft earpads that the HD560s currently ships with. If you need to replace the earpads then order a pair of HD559 earpads from Sennheiser and then let us know if they're the New Version soft earpads or if they're the harder earpads of the Old Version of the HD560s.

Alchemist_

You already asked that question over in the other thread:
It was discussed earlier in that thread. We don't know if the spare earpads which are indeed the HD559 earpads (which are the same earpads that are on HD560s), we don't know if they are the New Version soft earpads that the HD560s currently ships with. If you need to replace the earpads then order a pair of HD559 earpads from Sennheiser and then let us know if they're the New Version soft earpads or if they're the harder earpads of the Old Version of the HD560s.
And I’m wondering where my message went...(I lost it)))
Of course, if I have any experience buying an ear pad, I will definitely share it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

spankjam

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the software / plugin he uses for equalization?

Q values can highly vary between different equalizers.
Q values should be the same between different software if the manufacturer of the software is doing it right. It shouldn't matter which program you use. Following is a list of various EQ software, some of which is parametric EQ:
EqualiserAPO is a good one to use with Windows PC's. You can add on the Peace extension to EqualiserAPO to make it a more user friendly interface for people new to it.

spankjam

Q values should be the same between different software if the manufacturer of the software is doing it right. It shouldn't matter which program you use. Following is a list of various EQ software, some of which is parametric EQ:
EqualiserAPO is a good one to use with Windows PC's. You can add on the Peace extension to EqualiserAPO to make it a more user friendly interface for people new to it.
Nope they aren't the same, there are different Q designs, that's why some people on the forum probably have complained that it doesn't sound right to them.

I'd have to analyze EqualiserAPO and then match it with whatever I'd use.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope they aren't the same, there are different Q designs, that's why some people on the forum probably have complained that it doesn't sound right to them.

I'd have to analyze EqualiserAPO and then match it with whatever I'd use.
Use reputable software that a lot of people use here, and you won't have a problem. EqualiserAPO is one of them. As I said, if the software companies are doing it properly then Q values will be the same.

spankjam

Use reputable software that a lot of people use here, and you won't have a problem. EqualiserAPO is one of them. As I said, if the software companies are doing it properly then Q values will be the same.
What is reputable in your opinion? Even Fabfilter won't match Q wise let's say with a Sonnox EQ. And these are used by Audio professionals. You never know till you actually measure them through like Plugin Doctor or any other means.

Don't intend to go off topic but it is what it is.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is reputable in your opinion? Even Fabfilter won't match Q wise let's say with a Sonnox EQ. And these are used by Audio professionals. You never know till you actually measure them through like Plugin Doctor or any other means.

Don't intend to go off topic but it is what it is.
EqualiserAPO, NeutronPlayer, Roon. Those are some that come to mind. If you're worried about it then enter for instance all of Oratory's filters for a headphone and then check the Total EQ Curve displayed in the software against the Total EQ Curve in Oratory's pdf file - eyeballing it to see if it follows all the same contours (and check a few points).

Top Bottom