• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Saga Grounding and Hum Issues?

Appleguy33

The buzz was the worse I had ever heard from any system I’ve ever had. Could hear it at any seating position. Had some old broken audio gear laying around. Did some experimenting and wala! Buzz completely gone!

Attachments

• 38A8D2CC-A094-45F0-A92B-8A090C70631F.jpeg
    38A8D2CC-A094-45F0-A92B-8A090C70631F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 431

Veri

Master Contributor
The buzz was the worse I had ever heard from any system I’ve ever had. Could hear it at any seating position. Had some old broken audio gear laying around. Did some experimenting and wala! Buzz completely gone!
So how did you fix it, exactly?

Appleguy33

So how did you fix it, exactly?
Posted a picture of what I did. Had some parts laying around from a old pioneer C90 preamp. Used a copper plate and the grounding wire from the unit and kind of made myself mod.

Veri

Master Contributor
Posted a picture of what I did. Had some parts laying around from a old pioneer C90 preamp. Used a copper plate and the grounding wire from the unit and kind of made myself mod.
I see! A shame you had to mod it. My own Saga+ does no such thing (humming or other noise). Otherwise I'd definitely have returned it.

Vernier

Hi.

I had the same issue with my Saga+ preamp (and Vidar amp). Have you tried removing the tube? (The Saga+ works fine without it in place.)

I contacted Schiit support and provided them with a detailed description of the issue (50Hz hum at 60db, regardless of volume level), immediately when the Saga+ is switched on.

The support engineer responded very quickly and suggested removing the tube (the originally supplied Tung Sol 6SN7 GTB). This solved the humming noise issue.

Waiting to receive a replacement tube from them now.

I tested the grounding of the casings (using a Fluke precision multimeter). The Vidar case is properly grounded. However, the Saga+'s case is not connected to the ground pin. The RCA jacks outer rings are connected to the ground. Schiit did not respond to my question on whether the case should be checked for proper grounding... Will follow up if they do.

dfuller

Major Contributor
How did you take your cover off? I tried to slide it off but got stuck on the volume knob. Don’t know how to get it off.
That looks properly grounded, honestly. I can see a third pin soldered to the board.

As for your issue getting the case off, did you take the nut off the volume pot shaft?

jasonz1121

That looks properly grounded, honestly. I can see a third pin soldered to the board.

As for your issue getting the case off, did you take the nut off the volume pot shaft?
I’ve got it figured out. The volume knob for Saga+ is just pressure fitted. It’s quite tight tho. I had to use two spudgers to pry both sides to get the volume knob off.

Chitami

I was working in my home office and last thing I wanted was the dust from Dremel getting everywhere. But yes, if you can do it outside your home, that would be tool of the choice.
Can you burn the paint with torch or soldering hotend?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you burn the paint with torch or soldering hotend?
I don't know how you can control the torch well enough to not mess up the look of the rest of the unit. As for soldering iron, I don't think that would work. It is very tough paint and the whole thing will act like a heat sink, cooling the tip. But sure, try whatever you are comfortable doing. :)

Top Bottom