• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modius E DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 21.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 140 60.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters

usern

Now... Should I care?
For sound upgrade, no. For looks or functionality or practicality, maybe. I have Audient id4, but got D30pro for more output selections. I don't think they sound different enough to prefer one or other.

PeteL

Major Contributor
For sound upgrade, no. For looks or functionality or practicality, maybe. I have Audient id4, but got D30pro for more output selections. I don't think they sound different enough to prefer one or other.
Sure, those interfaces are limited to USB so don't have much use beside on a desk connected to a computer. They do offer much more tough, different thing. I have a E30 in my main system, but have the possibility to be balanced all trough so I may upgrade to something like that at some point.

Veri

Master Contributor
I believe this only has RCA out but not balanced.

All the same it is a seriously good DAC (for the price) with excellent customer service behind it.
Yep for TRS balanced you're looking at $249, B-Stock...

Not a far cry from the $229 that is asked for this Modius E, though.. :)
That one is still $219 in b-stock https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks.

Chesapeake HT

This is great timing for the review as I’ve been looking at the Modi+ and wondering besides balanced outputs what more this DAC might offer me. The Modi+ is definitely a better fit for me. Now just a decision between Modi+ and the JDS Atom+, but that is for another thread. Thanks for the review to help guide decisions!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think this swings towards a customer who is fine with a dac as a pure source... ie. no vol. no screen etc. BUT they want balanced out and somehow really want AES/EBU and the usual

so to me its funny one. I cant see a huge market but it is only $200 and its performance should be as 'transparent' as something that measures better

Veri

Master Contributor
i think this swings towards a customer who is fine with a dac as a pure source... ie. no vol. no screen etc. BUT they want balanced out and somehow really want AES/EBU and the usual

so to me its funny one. I cant see a huge market but it is only $200 and its performance should be as 'transparent' as something that measures better
Ah, yes. The AES/EBU input is good to see in this price range.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Oh a descend Balanced DAC that's USB (c) Powered.
Take note Topping and SMSL.
No one Needs (IEC 60320) C13 on a DAC!

PeteL

Major Contributor

Well that apply to pretty much anybody that have a mix of analog and digital sources and use a dedicated preamp for source switching and volume control. Not that small a market I think, AES/EBU, maybe less so common, but you don't have to "really want" it since it is not more expensive than options that don't. My DAC in my main system have never done anything else than direct full 0 DBFS sample pushing. My CD Player also have AES/EBU but I realize it's rare.

shuppatsu

All in all, performance remains good enough to provide transparency but short of engineering excellence we like to see in a sea of strong competitors.

Beyond transparency, debating the rest is debating the number of angels on the head of a pin. I like that no wall wart is needed. Schiit QC and customer service are famously bad, but it's nice to support a local company and actually have people to talk to and a place to send it to.

I like the display on my D10S as some minor feedback that the device is configured the way I intend it to be. But really, a DAC can and should do its job without needing to report what it's doing. All mine does is show the sample rate anyway, something which I attach almost no importance.

Transparent DACs are so common these days that it seems weird to spend $230+ shipping to get one. For that money at least I'd expect a nice story and some pseudoscience babble to make me feel like I'd bought something special. But balanced + 2 year warranty is not nothing. That seems decently well-placed in the market.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to my sensibilities units like this and the geshellis with no controls no displays look a little like kit units

once you have enjoyed the little conveniences its hard to go back

i get some hardliners love the spartan units like they were 20yrs ago but its a hard pill to swallow when you get remotes and displays with other brands

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I rated it "Not Terrible". For the price it should have better performance and features. I would definitely expect it to use line level power without a wall wart and be at 115 db Sinad. And $229 is too much, should at least be below $200.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
to my sensibilities units like this and the geshellis with no controls no displays look a little like kit units

i get some hardliners love the spartan units like they were 20yrs ago but its a hard pill to swallow when you get remotes and displays with other brands

Not everyone needs or wants a volume control or screen. I need analog and digital input switching and therefore use integrated amps with their own volume controls. No volume control on the DAC needed nor wanted. I have two of the AKM version of this DAC and they fit my use cases perfectly. Although I can see how remote digital input switching could be useful to many people. I only use the USB input on my Modiuses.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

OTOH, this device has more inputs than most "fancier" DACs in the price range.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I voted fine. $229 with balanced out, multiple inputs, and made in U.S. seems reasonable to me, as is it's performance. While it's a piece of Schiit, it's far from being a piece of s@*t.

Slight ESS hump and delta of 110DB SINAD vs 120 not likely audible by anyone on this forum or in the world. Could and should they design to class-leading specs? Up to them and the consumer to decide. Probably adds a slight cost for them, and thus to the consumer.

Plenty of s#*t has been directed at Schiit previously on this forum, where some of their products measured poorly. Overall they seem to be listening to feedback and producing products of quality at reasonable prices. I'd imaging they could produce in China for 75% or less of the cost, but they choose not to. I with to imply no political opinion in saying that, but it is a fact that is important to some buyers. If that is not important to you, I'd then say buy a Topping if you want better spec at potentially a lower cost.

TNT

Again - *science*, i.e. the sampling theorem says that no energy above fs/2 shall pass the LP reconstruction filter. So, no - its not good attenuation. The eventual stop band is OK attenuated but it takes "to long" before the floor is reached. A scientific excellent filtre would be, say:

- 0,3 dB down at 20k
- 140 down at 22,049k

//

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for the review.
OT: Have you finally dispensed with possible use of a "threshold of audibility" line on your graphs?

For its price, this clever little piece of (Schiit) hardware, would the equivalent of a spare-tire for both audiophiles and professionals alike.
I am tempted....

alekksander

@amirm
thanks for another review. would You care to upload multitone?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OT: Have you finally dispensed with possible use of a "threshold of audibility" line on your graphs?
That's going to create a ton of inquiries asking about what it means and why it is what it is. etc etc. :D
For its price, this clever little piece of (Schiit) hardware, would the equivalent of a spare-tire for both audiophiles and professionals alike.
I am tempted....
I think it's sweet model. It has the stuff and no more.

Top Bottom