• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Schollaudio

Hello, My first post on ASR. I like this piece of equipment but want two balanced inputs. What passive selector would be recommended?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

audiowhacked

Schiit this model seems to be never in stock - the site says 10-12 weeks.

s10sondek

Does anyone here know if the Magnius will construct a differential balanced signal to feed the XLR output when the unit is fed a single-ended signal from the RCA inputs? I am interested in using both balanced and single-ended sources into the Magnius with the ability to switch between the two, and then sending the output via balanced XLR to my speaker amplifier (and not using the SE outputs at all). I am sure that I'll get a proper differential balanced signal when the balanced source is switched into use, but will I also get a differential balanced signal out of the XLR jack when the single-ended input is in use?

Veri

Master Contributor
Does anyone here know if the Magnius will construct a differential balanced signal to feed the XLR output when the unit is fed a single-ended signal from the RCA inputs? I am interested in using both balanced and single-ended sources into the Magnius with the ability to switch between the two, and then sending the output via balanced XLR to my speaker amplifier (and not using the SE outputs at all). I am sure that I'll get a proper differential balanced signal when the balanced source is switched into use, but will I also get a differential balanced signal out of the XLR jack when the single-ended input is in use?
You will :) the only weak point in the Magnius is the SE headphone out. SE in BAL out is no problem.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A touch screen on a simple headamp/preamp is just silly. All it should really do is show the attenuation. Switching inputs would be much easier with dedicated buttons instead, especially when there are only 4.

I don't doubt it would be possible to undercut Benchmark by skimping on the bling (see above...) but the Freya S was already 20% of the HPA4's price and only had half the steps of HPA4.

For me, it's not even bling. I think the touchscreen ruins the looks and makes it look cheesy.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
J.Stoddard from Schiit explains why performance is worse single-ended than balanced on the Magnius.
@10:45►

I got a chuckle at the shout out to my Mjolnir 2 as doing it the old, hard way with more parts and size, but better single ended performance.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
By that logic the top/best on ASR would not sound necessarily good. I see no reason why that would be the case... none at all :rolleyes:

Some of the top rated things on ASR don't sound good to me if I'm sighted and I think it looks ugly.

Because I have cognitive bias that impacts my sighted hearing.

garbulky

Major Contributor
You will :) the only weak point in the Magnius is the SE headphone out. SE in BAL out is no problem.
I would like to get some confirmation here. I have an hd800s I want to try with it. Will it halve the power output capability?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I would like to get some confirmation here. I have an hd800s I want to try with it. Will it halve the power output capability?

This is the second time I've seen a variation of this question.

I don't understand why people think the output would decline based upon input.

garbulky

Major Contributor
This is the second time I've seen a variation of this question.

I don't understand why people think the output would decline based upon input.
Cuz of the balanced amp? Doesn’t it take 4v balanced input to drive it to 0db or full power and unbalanced input is 2v for 0fb or full power? Is this not one half of the modules working in unbalanced input for a balanced amp?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cuz of the balanced amp? Doesn’t it take 4v balanced input to drive it to 0db or full power and unbalanced input is 2v for 0fb or full power? Is this not one half of the modules working in unbalanced input for a balanced amp?

Magnius includes an SE to balanced converter.

Split the SE input phase to create the balanced signal, then add gain, then route into the normal balanced topology.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Magnius includes an SE to balanced converter.

Split the SE input phase to create the balanced signal, then add gain, then route into the normal balanced topology.
Usually there is indeed 6dB (2Vrms) of output difference between the SE and BAL input though, which I reckon is also the case here.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but was this using the balanced or SE inputs?
The APx555's balanced output was used to gather that data, so the setup was:
AP->XLR Bal->Magnius->XLR Bal->AP
Screenshot_20220418-172734_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom