• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Loki Mini+ Equalizer Review

Rate this Equalizer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 61 32.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 83 44.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Kimbrough Xu

The bands for Schiit Loki MINI++ are 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 8kHz while the bands of Bellari Audio EQ570 are 60Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 7500Hz.

Does anybody know why they are different and which is better?

PeteL

Major Contributor
The bands for Schiit Loki MINI++ are 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 8kHz while the bands of Bellari Audio EQ570 are 60Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 7500Hz.

Does anybody know why they are different and which is better?
According to these measurments audible differences should be minimal. For Bass they are roughly the same but it's a little strange that Schiit label that as 20 Hz. It seems to me that the center frequency of a Shelving should be right between the 2 knees but it's subject to interpretation. That's in the Highs that from what I see Schiit's control should be more pronounced with a Bell peeking at 8K, Bellari's peak much higher up, even tough the labeling suggest otherwise. In all cases there is no correlation in numbers, In both cases it's debatable why they chose to label these low and hi filters that way. Schiit may wanted to define where the effect is maximal, as for the mid bell curves. There is no firm convention as far as I know. Cutoff frequency is more of what has engineering meaning and is well defined at -3 dB, but labeling a "band", with a single number this is less so rigourous.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh.
Oh.
Oh.

Stumbled across this today -- you say you want a little box that does something to your sound, but you really don't care (or cannot clearly tell) what?
Here's your chance! And it uses a 12AU7 for... something, too! :cool::facepalm:

ZROCK2front_edited.jpg

I mean, I guess it does this -- if this is something you want to do and you want to spend nigh on 900 USD doing it.

1685643437175.png

;)

walrashish

This works wonderfully to correct broad tone errors with vinyl, especially since the induced distortions won’t matter much for the medium. I have mine set up immediately after my Mani 2, with the knobs preset to tame the brightness that I hear in Blue Note Tone Poet releases. It usually stays in bypass unless I’m playing a Tone Poet, in which case *click.*

Stumbled across this today -- you say you want a little box that does something to your sound, but you really don't care (or cannot clearly tell) what?

You know, that's not too far off the "flat tilt" that a few people have talked about so far. It's a heck of a lot more expensive than the loki though, and is spec'd with a much higher noise floor. (Noise at -80dB but hum at -62dB? Wat)
The price is impressively high though.

I took a look at more of their website... you've given me one heck of a resource to show people what a scam looks like in the audio world. So much liquidity.

They even dropship speakers... wonderful.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You know, that's not too far off the "flat tilt" that a few people have talked about so far. It's a heck of a lot more expensive than the loki though, and is spec'd with a much higher noise floor. (Noise at -80dB but hum at -62dB? Wat)
The price is impressively high though.

I took a look at more of their website... you've given me one heck of a resource to show people what a scam looks like in the audio world. So much liquidity.

They even dropship speakers... wonderful.
I do -- ahem -- own one of Deckert's products. I was (comparatively) young, ok? ;)

Decware "Zen" SE-84B: Single-ended EL84 operated as a triode for about 2 watts per channel.

His amplifiers aren't bad, actually, but his hype is over the top. They started out quite cheap (which is why, in full disclosure, I have one) but they're not even close to cheap any more.

:cool:

mj23pj

I have this device and it works really well for specific use cases. The lowest knob adds sub bass. These turn the hd800s into phenomenal headphones when you add the low end. Now I can do this with my computer but that solution does not work for vinyl.

System so far in a one bedroom apt in queens, ny:

Qobuz
Chromecast Audio
topping ex5
topping pa5
Project Debut turntable
schiit Mani
Schitt Sys
Schiit loki mini+ tone control
Passive Amp selector (to switch between Onkyo Surround Receiver and The Topping)
Basx a100 also connected for use with the hd800s - not connected to speakers
Hd800s
Kef R3 Meta
Definitive center, surround and Subwoofer(want to upgrade the sub but using the high level input and output, and there arent many subs now that have both)

I can eq with Equalizer APO or Foobar but that only works if im using a pc, in my case, a Surface. Most of the time I am using an iphone or android tablet to stream hi-res over the chromecast.

Many times I dont need the Loki. Good source material,(cd quality or hi-res files), going xlr from the ex5 to the pa5, straight to the R3 metas with the Loki bypassed, sound great. But many times, the source material isnt good. Older recordings with no low end or that are exceedingly bright can be adjusted on the fly. When you are having a music listening session and moving from genre to genre, and decade to decade, its is much quicker and easier to turn 2 knobs than it is to eq something on a pc.

I can use the Hd800s with the ex5 headphone amp but then I cannot add the sub bass that the Loki does so well. As I stated at the top, the loki helps with vinyl as well when needed, where a computer cannot.

When listening to music with the Loki enabled, I hear no audible distortion. If I want pure digital or pure analog vinyl, I got that. Just have the Loki bypassed. If I want or NEED to add color, all I gotta do is flip that switch and I got that too.

I do -- ahem -- own one of Deckert's products. I was (comparatively) young, ok? ;)

[Image]

Decware "Zen" SE-84B: Single-ended EL84 operated as a triode for about 2 watts per channel.

His amplifiers aren't bad, actually, but his hype is over the top. They started out quite cheap (which is why, in full disclosure, I have one) but they're not even close to cheap any more

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the visual design on them, but I'd have bought a cheap 2-watt tube amp if I came across one. I own three of them now, if I include a Vali that came with my Loki Mini. Another is from the 50s or 60s, can't remember off the top of my head.

There's no real harm in using an amp more for cool factor than for its amazing specs. I just double-check here to make sure it's going to be audibly acceptable. Whatever flaws it may have are probably masked by the warm glow of tubes in a dark room.

Back on-topic, I think I'm going to leave the Loki Mini with my turntable from here on, since it doesn't make sense with most of my sound set-ups. Or possibly I'll lend it to a different friend after I run a handful more measurements on it. I think I promised someone a graph last week...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Oh.
Oh.
Oh.

Here's your chance! And it uses a 12AU7 for... something, too! :cool::facepalm:

ZROCK2front_edited.jpg

I mean, I guess it does this -- if this is something you want to do and you want to spend nigh on 900 USD doing it.

View attachment 289641

;)
900 USD wth?

I love the LMP. It does wonders for the common cans dt770 250ohm, especially at the sometimes bright 6-8 kHz area. For people who use DAPs as digi transports to a Schiit stack (in my position) it's a perfect physical little tool to tame and ignite areas that are lacking in bad album mastering and other reasons.
To me the transparency is phenomenal and non representative of the tests and measurements here but what do I know. My little desktop setup is a simple one but one that I enjoy the hell out of. Fantastic sound for $1200 all inclusive. That's my bottom line. How can so many people be steered so negatively (80% of the 171 people polled for "poor"/"not terrible"!?) towards a product without ever hearing it because of un-peer reviewed stats and measurements? A little cultish around here TBH.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To me the transparency is phenomenal and non representative of the tests and measurements here
The measurements do show 'transparency' and are representative.

It is a tone control and can lower overall treble levels and bass levels and 'manipulate' the midrange a little but it can not be used to EQ the treble peak(s) from headphones.
What it can do is lower the overall treble level to more palpable levels but cannot achieve that what can be achieved with multiband GEQ (20 or 30 band) or parametric EQ.
It can not 'correct' headphones in any exact manner.

All it can do is change the overall tonality which, more often than not, might be all that is needed to make music more enjoyable.

It's not cultish here but rather more focussed on correctional EQ rather than overall tone.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I also had such a Decware amp. Just wanted to know... ;)

View attachment 290675
The very same. :)
Still have one here... I will say two things for it. It sounds fine and it is very quiet (in terms of hum and noise).
It is very, very low powered -- right on the edge of acceptable for full range use on any loudspeakers I have (or had), which includes some pretty sensitive ones. ;)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I love the LMP. It does wonders for the common cans dt770 250ohm, especially at the sometimes bright 6-8 kHz area. For people who use DAPs as digi transports to a Schiit stack (in my position) it's a perfect physical little tool to tame and ignite areas that are lacking in bad album mastering and other reasons.
To me the transparency is phenomenal and non representative of the tests and measurements here but what do I know. My little desktop setup is a simple one but one that I enjoy the hell out of. Fantastic sound for $1200 all inclusive. That's my bottom line. How can so many people be steered so negatively (80% of the 171 people polled for "poor"/"not terrible"!?) towards a product without ever hearing it because of un-peer reviewed stats and measurements? A little cultish around here TBH.
Because this is a SCIENCE based website.
So the measurements do show the transparency of the device.
Lastly as someone else mentioned; most people here like real EQ rather than just adjusting the tone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
you mean this:
Quad%2034%20Tilt%20Control%20Faceplate.jpg

It too has at least 2 controls which makes sense as sometimes all that is needed is a little bass lift without having to adjust the highs or tone.
It is a Baxandall though but just combined. The regular Baxandall is more flexible and can achieve the same.
The response of this tone control (including filters and other aspects) is found here:

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The very same. :)
Still have one here... I will say two things for it. It sounds fine and it is very quiet (in terms of hum and noise).
It is very, very low powered -- right on the edge of acceptable for full range use on any loudspeakers I have (or had), which includes some pretty sensitive ones.
1686216753627.jpeg

@mhardy6647

I could write a lot about my EL84 and EL8 amplifiers. They are among my best. But that would be off topic here. Maybe another time. Some proved themselves in outstanding installations of enthusiasts till today. I have always bought comparison units for the sole purpose of measuring my own builds against them and also to allow my friends to compare and to witness shootouts. So I also owned various commercial EL84 amps like the Decware.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
All we really need is one tiller style knob that can bias towards, or away, from bright or bassy.
In the past, there was something like this on radio sets, for example, which was called a 'Tonwaage' in German, a single knob for the sound balance.

In German engineering jargon, another tone control is called a 'Kuhschwanz-Entzerrer'. More precise 'shelving filter'

'
440px-Shelving-eq.svg.png

There are so many possibilities. I once built a mono phono preamplifier with continuously variable adjustment of the equalization. RIAA was among it, but also others. This was built after an old model of ELAC. Also a kind of tone control which worked well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom