• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit KARA Preamp and Headphone Amp Review

Rate this preamp and headphone amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 38.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 122 52.1%

• Total voters

Ajax

Forum Donor
I'm not sure where this fits in?

I really don't see the point of a pre-amp in today's world of streaming and digital files that doesn't have digital inputs (i.e. an internal DAC). For those that enjoy vinyl there is also no phono (MM/MC) input.

I wonder how many here would be interested in this kit compared to say a Minidsp Flex, which has a similar price and performance, but with much greater functionality having both digital and analogue inputs as well as DSP ($550 balanced).. Only thing missing is the headphone amp, however, here it is ordinary so I don't feel you can really count that as missing.

Another "better" alternative wold be a secondhand Benchmark DAC2, having several analogue and digital inputs, and an excellent builtin headphone amp. You can pick one up for about $800.

I voted "not terrible"

Last edited:

lc6

What is this "stepped relay" control really supposed to accomplish apart from hype? If the goal is to claim a "fully discrete" implementation that features a "128-step relay-switched attenuator, rather than a traditional potentiometer. This means essentially perfect channel matching and near-unmeasurable distortion."
then the competition is a high-end IC attenuator, such as this one that has an 8-bit resolution and +/-0.2 dB channel mismatch. I doubt that anyone could reliably tell the difference in distortion or channel matching between the two implementations, but they could certainly hear the clicking of 7 relays, which @amirm experienced.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What is this "stepped relay" control really supposed to accomplish apart from hype?

Good channel imbalance compared to the regular volpots Schiit uses. Also one can get a 'better' attenuation to volume control position this way.
Yes, downside is relays clicking during adjustment only and even in passive mode the power needs to be on for the volume control to work.
When the relays are of good quality longevity will be fine, no 'scratching' during adjusting the volume (but you can hear the 'steps')
To some people (not me) the above is a big deal (perfect channel balance over entire range)

lc6

Good channel imbalance compared to the regular volpots Schiit uses. Also one can get a 'better' attenuation to volume control position this way.
Yes, downside is relays clicking during adjustment only and even in passive mode the power needs to be on for the volume control to work.
When the relays are of good quality longevity will be fine, no 'scratching' during adjusting the volume (but you can hear the 'steps')
To some people (not me) the above is a big deal (perfect channel balance over entire range)

Please quantify this "good," "better" and "perfect" channel balance. The relay-less (IC-based) attenuator I showed as an example has a max. +/-0.2 dB channel imbalance. Tests show anything less than +/-1 dB is generally imperceptible (+/- 0.3 dB only in rare cases at some frequencies).

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Please quantify this "good," "better" and "perfect" channel balance. The relay-less (IC-based) attenuator I showed as an example has a max. +/-0.2 dB channel imbalance. Tests show anything less than +/-1 dB is generally imperceptible (+/- 0.3 dB only in rare cases at some frequencies).

With potmeters channel imbalance can be several dB's at higher attenuations (pot to the left) so audibly the Schiit volume control is 'perfect' and technically it certainly is good to very good.
As most log potmeters are semi-log (2 or 3 linear sections) the digital attenuator does not do this so results in 'better' attenuation opposite the volume control position as that is linear (in dB) steps.

BostonJack

Editor
When I compose my perfect setup in my head or a scratch notebook, I feel good when I can add a Schitt component. (I just respect their schtick and their responsiveness to ASR). Latest justification is twofold: 1. a knob to grab to reduce volume without pawing through DAC controls and 2. a means to integrate CD player and get my Jazz CD collection out of the storage boxes.

fantasy system: Mac powerbook as source -> Schitt Kara -> unknown CD player -> suitable XLR out DAC -> Buckeye Purify 2x Amp -> my (unfinished) DXT-Mon build.

simple, easy to understand, could add subwoofers

Reactions: DSS

Zensō

Major Contributor
When I compose my perfect setup in my head or a scratch notebook, I feel good when I can add a Schitt component. (I just respect their schtick and their responsiveness to ASR). Latest justification is twofold: 1. a knob to grab to reduce volume without pawing through DAC controls and 2. a means to integrate CD player and get my Jazz CD collection out of the storage boxes.

fantasy system: Mac powerbook as source -> Schitt Kara -> unknown CD player -> suitable XLR out DAC -> Buckeye Purify 2x Amp -> my (unfinished) DXT-Mon build.

simple, easy to understand, could add subwoofers
I may be misunderstanding, but wouldn’t the Kara be placed between the DAC and the amp?

bmwr75

Schiit used to offer a preamp they called the Freya S, which appeared to be the Freya+ without the tube section. It looked an awful lot like the Kara, maybe exactly like it if not for the addition of HP amp section. Did Schiit just rename the Freya S to Kara? The Freya S is no longer available on their website.

raif71

Major Contributor
1695306474704.gif

Kara is also Supergirl

lc6

With potmeters channel imbalance can be several dB's at higher attenuations (pot to the left) so audibly the Schiit volume control is 'perfect' and technically it certainly is good to very good.
As most log potmeters are semi-log (2 or 3 linear sections) the digital attenuator does not do this so results in 'better' attenuation opposite the volume control position as that is linear (in dB) steps.

You are still dodging the question by spinning stories. The question is: why employ an expensive and noisy electromechanical attenuator if an electronic one (IC-based) would be cheaper, noiseless, more reliable and more accurate?

And no, volume pots are not "log" (or "semi-log") but "exp," meaning that for a given turn angle they increase the level of signal exponentially, so that our logarithmic hearing perceives the change as linear.

Reactions: MCH

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The question is: why employ an expensive and noisy electromechanical attenuator if an electronic one (IC-based) would be cheaper, noiseless, more reliable and more accurate?

These do not fit in the Schiit philosophy. They are not lower distortion and noise either and also stepped.
More reliable.. yes, quieter while adjusting the volume... yes, cheaper... yes,.... more accurate... is it not accurate enough ?

You could always ask @T.M.Noble why they chose this over IC based.

volume pots are not "log" (or "semi-log") but "exp," meaning that for a given turn angle they increase the level of signal exponentially,
Where do you get that idea from ?.... there is nothing exponential about volume controls . They are semi-log.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
You are still dodging the question by spinning stories. The question is: why employ an expensive and noisy electromechanical attenuator if an electronic one (IC-based) would be cheaper, noiseless, more reliable and more accurate?

And no, volume pots are not "log" (or "semi-log") but "exp," meaning that for a given turn angle they increase the level of signal exponentially, so that our logarithmic hearing perceives the change as linear.
Jason's words I believe could give you his insight an opinion on our direction. This was a question about a customer hearing "distortion" while the relays were clicking.

"There will always be some weirdness as a relay ladder changes volume, because we don't have precise control over every relay. They are mechanical devices, using physical switches--literally the best way on the planet to change volume. No volume control chip can boast of the transparency of a relay ladder--hence the Kara's disclaimer that passive mode "exceeds the capability of the APx555 to measure"--the best audio analyzer available, and now over $30K to start. And no potentiometer can offer basically perfect tracking all the way down to the bottom of the range. Kara and Freya are usually within 0.1dB across the entirety of the volume control. The best potentiometers are spec'd to within 3dB down to -40dB attenuation. Usually they are much better (1dB at -70dB is typical for good potentiometers), but it is nowhere near the performance of a relay ladder. So yeah, we'll take the transient chatter of a relay ladder (not distortion, actually volume glitching) when adjusting volume--for the best possible performance when actually listening."

Hope that helps.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Full-band subwoofer&main outputs (which btw, this doesn’t even have, it simply has a balanced and unbalanced output) were something to get excited about in 1980. It’s 2023.

These days it is unacceptable, IMO, for dedicated analog preamplifiers to not include at MINIMUM, a fixed 80hz hi pass switch for the main outputs. And ideally, a variable hi-pass knob.

The analog circuit to do this is cheap, simple, and well known and there is really no excuse anymore to not include a hi-pass especially as the consumer market has shifted towards small bookshelf/stand mount speakers and external subs, and a hi-pass is required for proper integration, period.
Limited market outside of the US for subs I feel. Most of 'us' would rather have a tower type speaker box and most of us in Europe have neighbours attached I fear....

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Jason's words I believe could give you his insight an opinion on our direction. ..... Hope that helps.

Ah ... but you did not answer the question why Jason chose to use relays (with their quirks when adjusting the volume) instead of IC's.

cheaper, quieter, no weird behavior when adjusting the volume, takes up less space .... but higher noise and distortion (most at least)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the unit has dual rca outs anyway

just say you use the XLR for your mains

you can very easily use the rca outs for your subs and control the cuttoffs outside of the preamp

i do not expect companies like this to emulate someone like parasound who does have an analog cutoff knob

it'd be nice but i'm not in the habit of daydreaming too much

Top Bottom