• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Gjallarhorn objective review

Entropy

On paper, I have to say yes, looks like a bad deal, poorly priced for the performance, whatever. (On the other side of the coin, the topping Pa5 seemed like a good-to-great option..)

From personal experience, it's great. Not for everybody sure, but the concerns brought up here haven't materialized with my 85dB sensitive @ 6ohm speakers at about a meter away. I can't get anywhere near the maximum gain on my preamp. The form factor and support are upsides for me, and warranty period is the best-in-class afaik.

sthomper

That’s the opposite from the thread title.

Please read up or watch the video from Armir on “Blind Testing” (with matched levels).
"Sound is very good, so much so"....did you comment on this opposite? no. and their are comments here that indicate the poster hasn't even listened to the amp in question. i have....and reported my results, hard to give any objectivity on a audio amp without having listened to it.

sthomper

That’s the opposite from the thread title.

Please read up or watch the video from Armir on “Blind Testing” (with matched levels).
"From personal experience, it's great..." i didnt see a thread police comment on this one either. try not to be so subjective in determining thread title adherence.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honest question: Does this really matter for the desktop use it's intended for?

I have it hooked up to an Asgard 2 and Modius 3E driving my Kef Q150 and the volume dial on the Asgard rarely goes past 8 o'clock. 9 o'clock is for when no one is home and I want to really push the system on something that bangs. 10 o'clock becomes painful after a couple of minutes.

So what would more power really give me?
It is often the case that the best amplifier from a cost/benefit point of view is the one you already have.

dzerig

I am using a pair as monoblocks so I can connect my turntable/dac/cd drive stereo to the speakers by the TV via 35' xlr from a pre amplifier to Gjallarhorn. With lps or digital there is plenty of power available, and I have a complete Schiit system going from LP, cd drive, phono preamp, dac, preamp to the amplifer. Could the sound be better? Perhaps, but it sounds really good now. Plenty loud. I would be interested in a pair of Tyr or Aegir but these sound fine and either option would cost more than the speakers.

J.M. Noble

Checking in a little late, and definitely not with an objective view ... but my first impressions of my new Gjallarhorn on Day One are quite positive.

I'm cleanly driving a pair of "power hungry" Dynaudio Evoke 20s well into the mid/high 80dB range (mic is uncalibrated but it feels right) with the speakers c. 10 feet away in my 22' X 24' home theater/listening room. Bass (e.g. Techmaster P.E.B.) sounds great and so does everything else up to the limit. I don't listen to music at home any louder than that, and seldom even that loud--I run 8+ kilowatt PA system mains for bands so I get my fill of loud elsewhere.

Top Bottom