• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SACD ripping using Blu-Ray player

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
My DAC has Is2 inputs and XLR balanced outputs to my preamp. Do you think the China box would work with that? My Marantz SACD player has a coax output.

I made a typo error on post 39 now fixed. Sorry for the confusion. You need a SACD player that has HDMI output for this box to work.

There are two versions of this ”China box”. One takes the HDMI output from a SACD player and extracts the DSD64 audio and sends it out as I2s over HDMI. There are no pinout standards for i2s over HDMI and I believe this box requires the PS audio i2s over HDMI pinout. There is another version of this box that looks exactly the same but has the capability for DSD over PCM (DoP) output over SPDIF coax. This second box still uses the HDMI output from the SACD player but uses DoP over SPDIF coax to send a signal to your DAC. If your DAC has DoP input capability it will recognize the signal as DSD64 and play it with no loss in resolution. Both boxes are available on ebay but the DoP versions is about 2x the cost.

Oppomod also makes a daughter board that is installed internally for the Oppo 93. 103 and 203 that provides a direct i2s over HDMI output that allows SACDs to provide DSD64 output to a DAC that has i2s input. Again, I think the pinout is the PS audio standard.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, I’ve used my Oppo BDO-93 to rip the SACD stereo layer this way using optical out. As these were non-hybrid SACD I know this worked with my player.
Coming late to the convo, but Sony’s DRM restrictions on the SACD format require all digital signals from SACD players to be downsampled to a maximum 48Khz/16 bit. Save for one sleazy exception, all SACD players, including OPPO’s (of which I own three) convert DSD signals to PCM 48Khz/16 bit out of all digital outputs (coaxial and TOSLINK) except for the HDMI port, which is a closed ecosystem. So the rips you made from your S/PDIF ports are indisputably PCM 48, not DSD64. There is no debate about this.

The exception I mentioned above is PS Audio’s Perfectwave SACD transport, which retails for $6,999. They somehow managed to squirm around Sony’s restrictions (or perhaps buy them off) and port the native DSD signal via their own proprietary I2S output, which will be correctly decoded by a DAC that happens to utilize PS Audio’s proprietary pinout as well (which their own $7,000 DAC has readily available, of course). There are no other exceptions.

There is a standard circuit board that has circulated for a few years on AliExpress and eBay that will extract the digital signal layer out of any SACD player and output it via I2S, which is what I use to play native DSD out of my Sony UBP-1100ES SACD player to my Topping d90se DAC. I was able to get it to work by changing the DSD flag on the Topping from 14 to 15, and it works great. I suppose if there was a ripper out there that had an I2S input, this route would theoretically be possible. But that’s not how it has historically been done.

For quite a few years now, SACD “hobbyists” have been extracting the DSD layer by transmitting it over a file server and ripping them accordingly using Sonore’s shareware (along with a couple of newer, faster options that have since emerged). The attached link lists all of the out-of-production players that utilize the MediaTek chipset, which have been shown to have reliable success in this endeavor.

None of them involve anything as obvious and rudimentary as just plugging a ripper into a player’s S/PDIF output—if it were as easy as that, nobody would have tried and failed enough times to be scouring technical websites such as this one for a solution. Unless you have evidence that the signal coming out of that S/PDIF port was anything above 48k/16 bit, you’ve been listening to exactly that and thinking it was native DSD. Which I really wouldn’t fault you for, since none of us could probably tell the difference anyway! ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming late to the convo, but Sony’s DRM restrictions on the SACD format require all digital signals from SACD players to be downsampled to a maximum 48Khz/16 bit. Save for one sleazy exception, all SACD players, including OPPO’s (of which I own three) convert DSD signals to PCM 48Khz/16 bit out of all digital outputs (coaxial and TOSLINK) except for the HDMI port, which is a closed ecosystem. So the rips you made from your S/PDIF ports are indisputably PCM 48, not DSD64. There is no debate about this.

The exception I mentioned above is PS Audio’s Perfectwave SACD transport, which retails for $6,999. They somehow managed to squirm around Sony’s restrictions (or perhaps buy them off) and port the native DSD signal via their own proprietary I2S output, which will be correctly decoded by a DAC that happens to utilize PS Audio’s proprietary pinout as well (which their own $7,000 DAC has readily available, of course). There are no other exceptions.

There is a standard circuit board that has circulated for a few years on AliExpress and eBay that will extract the digital signal layer out of any SACD player and output it via I2S, which is what I use to play native DSD out of my Sony UBP-1100ES SACD player to my Topping d90se DAC. I was able to get it to work by changing the DSD flag on the Topping from 14 to 15, and it works great. I suppose if there was a ripper out there that had an I2S input, this route would theoretically be possible. But that’s not how it has historically been done.

For quite a few years now, SACD “hobbyists” have been extracting the DSD layer by transmitting it over a file server and ripping them accordingly using Sonore’s shareware (along with a couple of newer, faster options that have since emerged). The attached link lists all of the out-of-production players that utilize the MediaTek chipset, which have been shown to have reliable success in this endeavor.

None of them involve anything as obvious and rudimentary as just plugging a ripper into a player’s S/PDIF output—if it were as easy as that, nobody would have tried and failed enough times to be scouring technical websites such as this one for a solution. Unless you have evidence that the signal coming out of that S/PDIF port was anything above 48k/16 bit, you’ve been listening to exactly that and thinking it was native DSD. Which I really wouldn’t fault you for, since none of us could probably tell the difference anyway! ;)

What about a conversion from dsd/dsf is "downsampling"? DSD/DSF is so limited in functionality....

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about a conversion from dsd/dsf is "downsampling"? DSD/DSF is so limited in functionality....
I’m not sure I understand your question, but I wasn’t commenting on the qualities of DSD/DSF itself vs PCM. I was only explaining why it isn’t possible to rip the native DSD signal out of the S/PDIF ports of SACD players. Sony made it the law of the land, allegedly in the service of discouraging the piracy of “high resolution” masters and subsequent sale of bootlegs.

levimax

Major Contributor
The perfect solution exists using an older Sony SACD player and a USB stick and free software. No need for networks or plugging or unplugging a player from your system or command lines or a computer or daughter board or anything else. Just start the process and a few minutes later the files are on a USB stick. I think a lot of the mis information is because earlier versions of the software required a computer and network connection but not any more.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The perfect solution exists using an older Sony SACD player and a USB stick and free software.

We can do that also using very early version and specific series serial number of Sony Playstation 3 like the one I have been keeping only for this purpose (ref. here, there I wrote "I could successfully extract the DSD layer into DSF files using old model of Sony PlayStation and 'the' unofficial SACD ripping tool.")

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The perfect solution exists using an older Sony SACD player and a USB stick and free software. No need for networks or plugging or unplugging a player from your system or command lines or a computer or daughter board or anything else. Just start the process and a few minutes later the files are on a USB stick. I think a lot of the mis information is because earlier versions of the software required a computer and network connection but not any more.

Yes - the 2012 MediaTek-based Sony Blu-Ray players that work with this method are in my view the best solution. They are dirt-cheap on the used market, and once you set them up it's almost (not quite, but almost) as easy to rip SACDs with them as it is to rip CDs with a regular old computer optical drive.

Personally I like the network ripping option because the ripped files are already on my computer once the rip is finished. The Sonys also have a convenient sleep function that makes network ripping incredibly easy - once you load the necessary software into the Sony's memory for the first time, you can pull out the USB key and just leave the Sony sitting there. As long as you don't have a power outage at your home, from then on you can load an SACD into the Sony whenever you want and rip it over the network with a single mouse click in the software on your computer.

But regardless of whether you rip over the network or locally to a USB stick, no other method makes sense IMHO when these Sony players are so cheap and the software is so easy to use.

We can do that also using very early version and specific series serial number of Sony Playstation 3 like the one I have been keeping only for this purpose (ref. here, there I wrote "I could successfully extract the DSD layer into DSF files using old model of Sony PlayStation and 'the' unofficial SACD ripping tool.")

True - but those units run hot and often break down as a result. And unless they've come way down in price in the last couple of years, they're a lot more expensive on the used market than the Sony Blu-Ray players that can do the same thing.

Last edited:

Saturn94

Do you have a link to this newer method?

Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Nope, I’ve used my Oppo BDO-93 to rip the SACD stereo layer this way using optical out. As these were non-hybrid SACD I know this worked with my player.
That's copying. Not ripping.

levimax

Major Contributor
Do you have a link to this newer method?

Thanks.

Saturn94

I saw that but it describes ripping over a network, which is what I currently do with my Oppo 103, not directly to a usb thumb drive connected to the BD player.

…The specific SACD ripping method detailed here utilizes the Blu-ray player as a file server (aka the server method), with the extracted DSD tracks sent over Ethernet or WiFi to a destination computer residing anywhere on the same local area network (LAN) as the server Blu-ray player/ripper…

levimax

Major Contributor
I saw that but it describes ripping over a network, which is what I currently do with my Oppo 103, not directly to a usb thumb drive connected to the BD player.
Take a look at Post #26 on page 2, it has links to the "auto rip" version.

Saturn94

Take a look at Post #26 on page 2, it has links to the "auto rip" version.

I read post 26 and 27 and they still seem to talk about ripping to a computer over the network. There is mention of having “AutoScript” (I don’t see mention of “Auto Rip”) on the thumb drive, but I thought that was just part of the program needed for the BD player to send the ripped files to one’s computer over the network. Perhaps I’m just not understanding correctly; I’m not particularly computer savvy.

Leeken

Can you rip blu ray dsd files using that software?
Got loads of special edition stuff to do.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True - but those units run hot and often break down as a result.

Yes, I know well that SONY Playstation 3, especially "those" early models, run hot/warm!:mad:

I use my specific Playstation 3 only for "SACD into DSD" ripping purpose, and I always set my large electric fan in "strong wind" mode in front of it during the ripping procedure. ;)

I have already ripped all of my about 50 SACD into DSD files, and nowadays I seldom (or never) buy more SACDs but sometimes buy HiRes downloadable tracks in DSD or HiRes wav/flac. I use my Playstation 3 only once in a year or less, but I keep it carefully in its original package box just for future very rare cases of SACD ripping...

Top Bottom