• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SACD ripping using Blu-Ray player

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
If you actually try it, you may find that it is quite easy and gets easier with practice. With my setup, I can unwrap an SACD and have it being ripped in less than 2 minutes. As they say, "Don't knock it until you try it."
Would love to hear more about your setup... I am really looking high and low and if i can avoid hunting for an old device...

r042wal

Forum Donor
I understand what Kal means, setup time is next to nil to 'start' ripping a CD. I assigned a static IP address to my Sony S5100. I just plug it in, plug the USB stick in, tray opens and I insert the SACD.

Now I can go to any computer on my network, run the extract program and rip. I would say that takes 2 minutes if I don't pause to scratch the dog behind the ears.

levimax

Major Contributor
Would love to hear more about your setup... I am really looking high and low and if i can avoid hunting for an old device...
I am not sure your issue with old devices, there are a bunch of them on ebay everyday and they are not expensive. In case you are worried about adding an ugly old device to your system you don't need to hook it up to your system or anything else... it all works "stand alone". With the latest USB version you no longer need to do the network thing, the ripped files are copied onto the USB stick. It really couldn't be easier.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I use an Oppo 103.

Trell

Major Contributor
An SACD player with digital output will pass the CD layer on a multi-format SACD but not the SACD layer.
If the SACD has a stereo SACD layer it can output that over SPDIF.

r042wal

Forum Donor
My Marantz SA14S1 SACD has a SPIDIF output. If I connect the output of my Marantz to the digital input on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, the DAC tells me my input resolution when playing an SACD is only 16/44. It's all tied to the Sony licensing requirements. This is why you need a PS Audio transport if you want to run your SACD layer through the DAC. Other transports may work but I have never tried them.

I originally brought the question up on the PS Audio forums wondering why I didn't get DSD64 when I connected my Marantz to my DAC. Several people explained to me why and I'm just passing on what I learned during my indoctrination. YMMV.

Trell

Major Contributor
No it can't. Only the CD player will be output.
Nope, I’ve used my Oppo BDO-93 to rip the SACD stereo layer this way using optical out. As these were non-hybrid SACD I know this worked with my player.

AudiOhm

The Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player has NO analog outputs, only coax, optical, and HDMIx2 (one is audio only).

I have many SACD's that are not multi layer, they all seem to play fine.

I have not tried to burn any SACD's yet...

Ohms

Last edited:
OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
I am not sure your issue with old devices, there are a bunch of them on ebay everyday and they are not expensive. In case you are worried about adding an ugly old device to your system you don't need to hook it up to your system or anything else... it all works "stand alone". With the latest USB version you no longer need to do the network thing, the ripped files are copied onto the USB stick. It really couldn't be easier.
problem is buying off ebay and getting it shipped to India, and then maybe finding an issue with it. not easy to handle a 'return' in this case, is it?

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any modern/contemporary units available that one can buy new, rather than scouting for an outdated (by the market) unit...

many thanks
-vin
No, you'll need an older model. You can find a *probably* complete list of suitable players at https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ts-true/page/176/?tab=comments#comment-940992

Some of the very old models are clunky and slow. In the past I've used Sony BDP-S390 and S490 and they were just terribly slow machines and would probably be quite frustrating to use as a Blu-ray or SACD player in a modern home multimedia system. I switched to a Sony BDP-S7200 and that is still a nice device to use both for ripping SACD via ethernet and as a multi format player with ability to handle many disc formats and act as a UPnP renderer, Netflix/iPlayer/Youtube client etc. I would definitely recommend this model for ripping SACD and as a decent component in its originally intended use. It's almost certainly the case that we'll never see another new, networked, multi format disc player which allows SACD copy protection to be bypassed via the network adapter, so ebay it is!

A good place to look for guidance is https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

julian_hughes

problem is buying off ebay and getting it shipped to India, and then maybe finding an issue with it. not easy to handle a 'return' in this case, is it?
It isn't. But the used market does seem to be the only opportunity to obtain a suitable player.

Reactions: mkt

levimax

Major Contributor
In the US returns are quite easy on ebay and the risk is all on the seller and even if the seller flakes out ebay will cover you. I would think it would be the same in India, but not sure. I would be surprised if you couldn't find some of these players locally in India on ebay, these were "mainstream" high volume, low cost players sold during the peak of the physical disc period. Nothing rare about them and even though many are kind of cheap feeling and clunky to operate they are also pretty reliable.

julian_hughes

I would think it would be the same in India, but not sure.
The older suitable players are from over a decade ago, and the newest are maybe 8 years old. The Indian market was not much like USA & Europe except at the premium end. When USA & Europe were embracing DVD and then Blu-ray the Indian market was still based on VCD and then DVD. The local used supply of high quality multi format SACD capable players in a market where SACD was essentially unknown is going to be about zero.

raindance

Major Contributor
Nope, I’ve used my Oppo BDO-93 to rip the SACD stereo layer this way using optical out. As these were non-hybrid SACD I know this worked with my player.
It will be 16/44 PCM not DSD, so it's a down sampled version. But yes, technically you're right, it is the SACD layer.

julian_hughes

It will be 16/44 PCM not DSD, so it's a down sampled version. But yes, technically you're right, it is the SACD layer.
This is true. The only way to get the original DSD is via a player's network interface. And it's an excellent way as the DSD layer is on proper filesystem (not like CD audio) and the ethernet transmission is also reliable, being checksummed and error corrected. It means you don't need all that AccurateRip confirmation nor EAC type extraction. You're copying a regular file or set of files and if it completes without error then it's good.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
My Marantz SA14S1 SACD has a SPIDIF output. If I connect the output of my Marantz to the digital input on my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, the DAC tells me my input resolution when playing an SACD is only 16/44. It's all tied to the Sony licensing requirements. This is why you need a PS Audio transport if you want to run your SACD layer through the DAC. Other transports may work but I have never tried them.

I originally brought the question up on the PS Audio forums wondering why I didn't get DSD64 when I connected my Marantz to my DAC. Several people explained to me why and I'm just passing on what I learned during my indoctrination. YMMV.

If your SACD player has HDMI output you can use this method to play SACDs as DSD64 to an external DAC that has i2s input.

Last edited:

r042wal

Forum Donor
If your DAC has HDMI output you can use this method to play SACDs as DSD64 to an external DAC that has i2s input.

My DAC has Is2 inputs and XLR balanced outputs to my preamp. Do you think the China box would work with that? My Marantz SACD player has a coax output.

Top Bottom