• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SACD ripping using Blu-Ray player

soundtrane

Dealer
Are there any modern/contemporary units available that one can buy new, rather than scouting for an outdated (by the market) unit...

many thanks
-vin

JSmith

Master Contributor
Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) Playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW

JSmith

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
Not sure you can rip SACD’s with this model.
that's the thing. the lists of players i see everywhere on the net are all older players and unavailable to buy as new anymore. I am looking for a new unit that can be used to rip SACD.

r042wal

Forum Donor
The compatible players used the MediaTek chipset up until 2017. The MediaTek chipset is the secret to being able to use the player to rip. My understanding is no one uses the MediaTek chipset anymore which would mean you may be out of luck.

Petevid

I didn’t think it was possible to digitally rip an SACD from any SACD player because the format did not permit a digital output on the player , only an analogue output.

r042wal

Forum Donor
I didn’t think it was possible to digitally rip an SACD from any SACD player because the format did not permit a digital output on the player , only an analogue output.
An SACD player with digital output will pass the CD layer on a multi-format SACD but not the SACD layer.

mkt

I have not heard of any new models that rip sacds. I use a SONY BDP-S5100 to rip dsd. Pretty cheap.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony has historically had a proprietary bent and held rights to its products very closely. For instance Sony's tight grip on the manufacturing and distribution of the Beta video format is a reason cited for that format's failure in competition with VHS. This despite that Beta was considered the technically superior format. (I was sucked into the "technically superior" argument 'way back in 1984 when we bought an Beta machine.)

It's much the same scenario with SACD I guess. Probably our OP and others know, however, that SACD isn't totally dead. For instance a fair proportion of Classical music discs are hybrid SACD. (The Classical genre isn't yet totally dominated by streaming.)

Personally I'm content with ripping the CD layer of my SACD discs to FLAC or ALAC for stereo listening. At my age I'm certainly unable to hear extended high frequency content that SACD may or may not deliver. In any case the quality of the recording and mastering of the music is the far more significant factor in sound quality than resolution above 20 kHz.

Petevid

An SACD player with digital output will pass the CD layer on a multi-format SACD but not the SACD layer.
Yes, that’s it. The point I was trying to highlight was if you’re ripping an SACD hoping you’ll be ripping the enhanced information from the SACD layer of course you won’t be. As you say, it will be CD layer.

r042wal

Forum Donor
Yes, that’s it. The point I was trying to highlight was if you’re ripping an SACD hoping you’ll be ripping the enhanced information from the SACD layer of course you won’t be. As you say, it will be CD layer.
Yes, sorry I missed your original post as I repeated what you had already shared with us

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm actually having an additional problem that my older CD/RW drive on my "flac ripping computer" is not even recognizing the CD layer on a couple of my SACD's. Very frustrating. Also, to confirm the above I've read on other forums that there never was a way to rip the SACD layer, again because of Sony's stupidity, and there also never was a SACD drive made for PC's either (of course). I guess I will have to try different CD/DVD/RW drives to find one that recognizes the layer, very annoying.

mkt

Obviously incorrect but stated with confidence!

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
You absolutely can capture the DSD64 layers from your SACDs. It requires a SACD player with MediaTek chipset.

Web searches can provide lots of information on this subject and compatible decks.

Not sure about SACD players currently in production but the Oppo BDP-103 works very well for this. There are plenty of them available used on the market for a reasonable price. They have a good reputation for reliability and value.

Last edited:

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why is his statement incorrect? Yes, you can rip the SACD layer using the USB stick method on certain Sony players (and my OPPO 103 if I go to the trouble) but it's a PITA to get it all setup. There is no way I know of to rip directly from the player without using the kludge.

Edit: ok, the above linked thread makes it a bit easier, but still extra steps. Thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Why is his statement incorrect? Yes, you can rip the SACD layer using the USB stick method on certain Sony players (and my OPPO 103 if I go to the trouble) but it's a PITA to get it all setup. There is no way I know of to rip directly from the player without using the kludge.

Edit: ok, the above linked thread makes it a bit easier, but still extra steps. Thanks for sharing that.
If you actually try it, you may find that it is quite easy and gets easier with practice. With my setup, I can unwrap an SACD and have it being ripped in less than 2 minutes. As they say, "Don't knock it until you try it."

Petevid

How very charmless of you! I got it wrong in my previous post and in this post I was just confirming the correction that r042wal made. How you can glean any measure of confidence from my post I’ve no idea.

(Thank you Cavedriver)

Tom C

Major Contributor
If you actually try it, you may find that it is quite easy and gets easier with practice. With my setup, I can unwrap an SACD and have it being ripped in less than 2 minutes. As they say, "Don't knock it until you try it."
How can you rip in 2 minutes? Mine takes like 30 minutes.

levimax

Major Contributor
+1 In the past I have messed around with trying to rip SACD's with the PS3 and gave up. Then recently I tried again with the latest USB drive method with the older player and it is easy, fast, and reliable and it puts a smile on my face every time thinking about how creative people are to come up with a hack like this. There is never going to be a new approved device to rip SACD's but this works so well it doesn't matter. If you have SACD's to rip don't hesitate to pick up an old player and use the USB method.

Last edited:
Top Bottom