• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SACD ripping using Blu-Ray player

Tom C

Major Contributor
Can you rip blu ray dsd files using that software?
Got loads of special edition stuff to do.
I’m not familiar with blu-ray DSD. All the blu-rays I have are PCM, some multi-channel, some Atmos. The only DSD I have is on SACD, some stereo, some multi channel. Are you talking about something different?

mkt

I’m not familiar with blu-ray DSD. All the blu-rays I have are PCM, some multi-channel, some Atmos. The only DSD I have is on SACD, some stereo, some multi channel. Are you talking about something different?
I have a handful of Blu-ray audio discs from Sono Luminus that include dsf files. After copying with makeMKV, they are in ROM_DATA/downloads/dsd/. I've never done anything with them though.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I intensively shared here, I highly recommend to use MusicScope 2.1.0 for confirmation and analysis of the "format" of the extracted/ripped tracks/files. If you would be seriously interested in the installer of MusicScope 2.1.0, please simply PM me.
WS00005423.JPG

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you rip blu ray dsd files using that software?
Got loads of special edition stuff to do.
Usually the rip is saved in ISO format, and then you can use an audio conversion suite like J River’s Media Center. That’s the method I use, and it’s awesome—you can apply all sorts of DSP processing to enhance the final DSF or FLAC files it saves.

I have all sorts of favorites. One is applying a virtual subwoofer—you can choose from 6, 8, 10, 12, or 15” subs and seamlessly add some low end oomph to older masters. There’s also all sorts of headphone accommodations very similar in implementation and quality to Roon’s DSP engine—such as crossfeeds or spatialization algorithms that quite effectively lessen hard-panned mixes or extend the soundstage.

You can convert stereo masters to simulated multitrack files, with options to add a variety of subwoofer channels and surround formats. You can add convolution files for your headphones, apply PEQ, upsample DSD ISO files up to DSD512, fiddle with compressors or “decompressors” that widen or narrow the DNR. There’s also clipping protection options and a variety of limiters, options to increase gain and improve the SNR for masters that were set too quietly, and you can save a whole library of ISO files that you can return to for reconversion using different settings until you find the one that sounds best to you.

In my Roon library, I have quite a few albums converted in a variety of sound profiles that I can choose from based on which headphones I’m using, or when I’m listening with floor speakers. I literally name them accordingly—for example, I have “Fleeteood Mac Rumours—Hifiman HE1000se” or “Depeche Mode Violator—Meze Elites”. And I keep all of these on a solid state storage drive attached to my Roon Core.

The great thing about J River is that they host their own wiki site that is the most unabridged, comprehensive help manual I’ve ever seen for a product in my life. I was able to get through the basic learning curve within an afternoon or so, and I was venturing into more advanced features within a few weeks. If you haven’t checked it out, it’s extremely affordable, and a total blast to play with—all I can say is that if you have even the tiniest sliver of OCD about your audio files, buyer beware! Just be sure to only use your ISO files for your own personal enjoyment, and much joy awaits…

Last edited:

Earplugs2154

There are also quite a few sites that have entire libraries of ripped SACD ISO files
May I ask what searc should I use to find these sites?

JaccoW

May I ask what searc should I use to find these sites?
These websites are basically illegal rip websites and most will link to these ISO files in multiple .RAR files from sketchy download sites.
I could tell you how that works and what sites to use but I'm pretty sure this forum will ban people for writing a guide on this.

terrys999

A lot of these sites are dodgy.
I once Had my credit card details stolen. Not before downloading over 3000 sacd ISO’s, I nearly got the entire pentatone and living stereo sacd albums, plus grammaphon albums, and many more labels.

God knows why, I don’t particularly like classical.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
These websites are basically illegal rip websites and most will link to these ISO files in multiple .RAR files from sketchy download sites.
I could tell you how that works and what sites to use but I'm pretty sure this forum will ban people for writing a guide on this.
You got that exactly right. Thank you for showing restraint. ;)

General note to thread participants. We take copyright infringement seriously and violation of this rule is one of the quickest ways to end your membership here. Do not share links or information that will facilitate theft of intellectual property. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You got that exactly right. Thank you for showing restraint. ;)

General note to thread participants. We take copyright infringement seriously and violation of this rule is one of the quickest ways to end your membership here. Do not share links or information that will facilitate theft of intellectual property. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
I take responsibility for mentioning such websites, but I hope I was clear in my intention neither to mention the sites nor to respond to questions about how to find them. My original post was intended to share the perfectly legitimate J River software and its myriad features available for enhancing ISO files created for personal use without any intent of monetization. I’ve removed the section from my post that mentioned the existence of any sketchy websites in the service of honoring this site’s values and removing any unintentional risk my post might have caused for the moderators. Thank you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom