• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 18.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 177 76.0%

• Total voters

vulejov

If you refer to the black/yellow ones they could be on the power supply and I cannot see the manufacturer. They could be Rubycon.
The blue ones seem on the signal and they are SANYO, not “cheap Chinese”

You need to step up you efforts to prove this product is crap…
Blue ones are mine sanyo oscon, there where green one bipolar chinese crap which goes out.. just as wima 4n7 in point where datasheet says that 1n is correct value for filter..
My point is that akm datasheet says there is no need for coupling capacitors, but sabaj thinks diferent..

vulejov

You mean they used some capacitors when they shouldn't? No manufacture is doing that, they just want to cut costs, not otherwise.
This version may measure a bit worse than the ESS 2022 version, but this one has the "velvet sound".:)
They think that is easier to use coupling capacitor instead correct triming Vreff..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh look, something I just noticed.
It' uses a 3 prong grounded AC cord.
Something I rarely see on the Chinese gear.
I wonder if it's really a chassis ground?
Of if it's just floating?

vulejov

Oh look, something I just noticed.
It' uses a 3 prong grounded AC cord.
Something I rarely see on the Chinese gear.
I wonder if it's really a chassis ground?
Of if it's just floating?
Mine 2023 version isn’t home, as I remembered it is really chassis ground, not just floating..
I can check later 2022..
edit. Everything is connected in one spot, analog ground, digital ground, chassis and psu ground..

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Great performance but overall boring product. There is no actual sonic upgrade vs last year; it is just recycling the same things.
Honestly it doesn't even matter now; every well done DAC just hits top SINAD performance so basically everything decent is completely transparent...

vulejov

Great performance but overall boring product. There is no actual sonic upgrade vs last year; it is just recycling the same things.
Honestly it doesn't even matter now; every well done DAC just hits top SINAD performance so basically everything decent is completely transparent...
Today it’s easier to make decent sounding dac..
But obvously it’s not so easy to make device without bugs and with decent support

DearSX

I want to make what I am buying measures well at this point and is not just marketing! I paid $500 for my HP amp and I could have gotten away with paying less, but man it is a nice feeling good looking product.

IXOYE

Great performance, but what is the function of the handles? looks odd, like something from the 70's.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Aren't they nice.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great performance, but what is the function of the handles? looks odd, like something from the 70's.

Something to hold on to whilst you plug your headphones in :)

The handles might save you from having to do this sort of thing...

IMG_20230910_163659.jpg

(the doorstop is completely hidden by the monitor when it's back down in it's working position)

Last edited:

sonci99

Nice dac.
It works ok with my LG tv, there are no audio drops or lip sync problems, on optical in.
Unfortunately I just can’t install the xmos driver on my windows 7 pc. It says installation ended prematurely. I’m using the driver posted on Sabaj web, xmox v5.50.
Windows doesn’t recognized the dac. Can I use another driver for windows 7x64?
I haven’t try it yet, on windows 10.

TK750

Nice dac.
It works ok with my LG tv, there are no audio drops or lip sync problems, on optical in.
Unfortunately I just can’t install the xmos driver on my windows 7 pc. It says installation ended prematurely. I’m using the driver posted on Sabaj web, xmox v5.50.
Windows doesn’t recognized the dac. Can I use another driver for windows 7x64?
I haven’t try it yet, on windows 10.
I tried same driver on win7 with 2022 version..
Not working..
I don't want to restart the debate that has occurred a few times on here but it's an ancient, unsupported and unsecured OS. It's unreasonable to expect support for it anymore for anything in my opinion, but especially products that have been released after it became EOL.

vulejov

I don't want to restart the debate that has occurred a few times on here but it's an ancient, unsupported and unsecured OS. It's unreasonable to expect support for it anymore for anything in my opinion, but especially products that have been released after it became EOL.
Only chinese crapy products have issues with drivers..
That was problem few decades ago as today, there is not single difference..
Only today have ‘excellent measurements’ which tells nothing..

vulejov

..or maybe they lied about Win7..

Attachments

• Sabaj A20d 2023.png
    Sabaj A20d 2023.png
    257 KB · Views: 50

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Current version of Windows is 11, Windows 10 ist still supported by Microsoft, Windows 7 is not. Get over it.

Top Bottom