• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2023 DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 18.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 182 76.5%

• Total voters

Lero

I really think im in love with the design AND the performance....only thing is: is power gonna be enough ? but i think 99/100 will blow my brain.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Does Sabaj make a black version? I think their designs look solid, but silver just isn't for me.

maty

Major Contributor
[ This is a review and detailed measurements of the 2023 edition of Sabaj A20d balanced DAC and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $420 ]

Portapapeles02.png

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
The Sabaj A20d uses the ti 6120 as headphone amp. What is the output impedance, as the ti chip usually goes as high as 9 ohms?

Edit: I see a lot of claims about 0 ohms, so it seems they worked around ti limitations.
Does Sabaj make a black version? I think their designs look solid, but silver just isn't for me.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
AKM AK4499EX

Same as Topping E70 Velvet

I can see better measurements than Sabaj. But 503 € at Audiophonics. Without headphone amp.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Trivial, I know, but what’s with all the random fonts on the unit. Looks like a school concert flyer.
Was waiting for this.

Next step is someone asking for EQ in the box.

After that someone will point RME has EQ, then we will compare the cost of this unit with the RME, and then the debate about the warranty will open and then bla bla bla.

Last edited:

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review. It is a great performing DAC with an ok industrial design, but it does not compare to dCS.
I don't care it sounds the same.
When you say "it does not compare to dCS" I don't know what you mean. In what way is in not comparable? Can you clarify this statement? Thanks

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see that you said that this was "Sabaj A20d balanced DAC and headphone amplifier" but I don't see how one would connect balanced headphones to the amp- are the 1/4" and 1/8" jacks 4-conductor balanced connectors?

BALKAN_RAKIA

There are handles on the front. In case anyone wants to pick 21x20x6cm device with two hands.

Laniciffo

I understand the need to pursue good engineering but I do think that putting it above all other design goals, considering that most home noise floor is way above these numbers, can be a hindrance. Where is the trigger. Topping and the likes understood and introduced this feature in latest models. When I bought my DAC this is one of the base features I was looking for. Who has the power to go hunting for all these remotes or have a remote with endless macros.
To work around this problem, one can also use a 'master / slave' power strip.
These things monitor the power consumption on the master's socket and power the slave sockets only if the master is working.
The slaves do not work more than the master, so I think there is no issue with ethics and politics in that case.
These devices are great with PCs too : the display, printer, speakers, etc... all power up as soon as the pc starts or exits standby mode.
My strip has a potentiometer to define the power consumption threshold. That was useful in one case.

Edit : alas, I fear that no company manufactures (yet) this kind of strips with a power conditioner ;-)
Maybe I should start a new business and get rich.

Chilli

This is the 3rd version of the a20d. Well done, Sabaj. This company is plugging away at it solidly.
I've had the 2022 version for about a year and it works solidly and without a hitch. I've really enjoyed using it every night from the apple tv and now it's on my main system collecting ldac or cd transport duties.
It looks better in real life and the handles are a cute feature. The ui is simple and easy to use. Sabaj makes good gear at affordable prices.

Top Bottom