• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L. SU-8s

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
@SMSL-Mandy will this use a different optical receiver section than the M500? I had to return my M500 because it dropped audio when connected to my 2017 LG OLED.
My assumption is that default PLL is set too low on devices that suffer from this. Higher PLL also has effect on jitter/performance though, unfortunately. It's a trade-off between losing the "lock" and performance.

index.php

There are other, more expensive products (Auralic, Schiit Adaptilock, ...) that have auto sensing capabiltiies to switch between high and low PLL.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
My assumption is that default PLL is set too low on devices that suffer from this. Higher PLL also has effect on jitter/performance though, unfortunately. It's a trade-off between losing the "lock" and performance.

index.php

There are other, more expensive products (Auralic, Schiit Adaptilock, ...) that have auto sensing capabiltiies to switch between high and low PLL.
The M500 is advertised to have super low jitter blabla, so you might be right. Is there any way to fix this at the source? Something I can put in between to create a more stable output. It's just for movies/TV so if it's not perfect I am okay with it.

Veri

Master Contributor
The M500 is advertised to have super low jitter blabla, so you might be right. Is there any way to fix this at the source? Something I can put in between to create a more stable output. It's just for movies/TV so if it's not perfect I am okay with it.
I'm not sure. Reclocking devices are often expensive and a bit of a scam.

What you could try is buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-Amplifier-15-1588-connectors/dp/B000GPL6OI
And connect its output with the smallest optic cable you can find into your device. With a bit of luck it might solve the reception problem. If not, you could return the radio shack booster (buy from someplace with a return policy).

It's just a relatively inexpensive idea though... I can't think of anything else other than buying a new DAC :oops:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm not sure. Reclocking devices are often expensive and a bit of a scam.

What you could try is buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-Amplifier-15-1588-connectors/dp/B000GPL6OI
And connect its output with the smallest optic cable you can find into your device. With a bit of luck it might solve the reception problem. If not, you could return the radio shack booster (buy from someplace with a return policy).

It's just a relatively inexpensive idea though... I can't think of anything else other than buying a new DAC :oops:
Yeah, I already returned it. I was using DACs that are pretty terrible (Muse TDA1543, Schiit Modi Multibit) before, and those didn't have any issues. I first thought it was a thermal issue with the M500 because it would start after I'd been using it for a while and got worse and worse. But now it looks like my TV is actually the cause of that. I can still buy a mediaplayer with spdif out I guess, but I want to avoid lip sync issues.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah, I already returned it. I was using DACs that are pretty terrible (Muse TDA1543, Schiit Modi Multibit) before, and those didn't have any issues. I first thought it was a thermal issue with the M500 because it would start after I'd been using it for a while and got worse and worse. But now it looks like my TV is actually the cause of that. I can still buy a mediaplayer with spdif out I guess, but I want to avoid lip sync issues.
I think DACs without the audiophile fancy jitter reduction are better match with TVs. Only very pricy ones like the Matrix or Burson ones allow to set DPLL sensitivity. Most come with some default that may or may not work.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the post literally just says more news in march

Top Bottom