• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L. SU-8s

Piotr

m500 is $399 so I guess m400 will be cheaper. It's very interesting how they want to position it against m500. Likely they want to make it slightly worse and save some costs. We already know that the DAC is better so they'd probably save on amplifier part which is already mediocre in m500. We also know m400 will support MQA.

olinko

That's all very well about the M400, but I'm really itching to hear news about the SU-9. Somebody'd said March, but no word on it still

Piotr

It will lack the headphone amp for sure, that's what we know :) In general I am quite against this approach. Good DAC should also have a good headphone amp. There are plenty of upsides when having it integrated and not only aesthetics & space saver but also functional and quality wise.

SU-9 will look cute so I understand people are waiting for it... but let's be honest: we've already reached a point where you can buy a great DAC for few bucks: Topping D10, SMSL m300 mkII or even sanskrit 10th and anything more expensive won't make any audible difference.

ELapBukXUAAHgBO.jpg

olinko

It will lack the headphone amp for sure, that's what we know :) In general I am quite against this approach. Good DAC should also have a good headphone amp. There are plenty of upsides when having it integrated and not only aesthetics & space saver but also functional and quality wise.

SU-9 will look cute so I understand people are waiting for it... but let's be honest: we've already reached a point where you can buy a great DAC for few bucks: Topping D10, SMSL m300 mkII or even sanskrit 10th and anything more expensive won't make any audible difference.

View attachment 48752
I was already poised to buy the SU-8 so when I heard a new version was coming out, I figured I'd wait.
Really want to try the whole DSD/SACD game. Could be just a placebo, but then again, I've never heard actual DSD playback

Celty

View attachment 48752
Depends on what equipment you already have, I think. For me I prefer separates, picking out precisely what amp I want, and what DAC, without having to pay more for the DAC because it includes an amp section.

yahrightthere

View attachment 48752
Totally disagree with this statement & here's why, i bought a pair of active speakers & the low end (base) wasn't what I was lead to believe.
I bought a SMSL SU-8 & connected them via XLR to the active speakers & used the RCA out to two sub-woofers, did it make a audible difference? You bet your ass it did, I have woofer coming out the wazoo.
Not sure about the M300 as it has RCA outs, but none of the rest of the equipment you mention can connect to a sub-woofer without adding another piece of equipment.
Yes there are other DACs that can do this & maybe including the SMSL M300 but for the money & sound i get from the SU-8 I couldn't be happier.

snowsurfer

I hate myself a little for this but, even though I'm really happy with my SU8v2, I really, really want this one with the knob and the bigger screen...

loprent1

March is here and while the SU8 is on Massdrop for $185 I'm eagerly awaiting news of the SU9.

Would there be any reason to wait for Amir to do the proper testing before pulling the trigger if it's released in the next week or two?

deafenears

Forum Donor
Would there be any reason to wait for Amir to do the proper testing before pulling the trigger if it's released in the next week or two?
No reason to wait, you could pull the trigger and send it in to be measured.

Sak

Is there any news about this mysterious DAC ?:D

Sak

EfQzFS2WkAEqUPQ.jpg
EfQzFTdWoAEXuGk.jpg
EfQzFX4XgAA5Wh9.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
Looks nice. I don't like that 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter though, the hollow inside- kind. I prefer the ones with a tighter fit ;)

Reactions: Sak

Tks

Major Contributor
Looks nice. I don't like that 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter though, the hollow inside- kind. I prefer the ones with a tighter fit ;)

The worst, screw-on adapters..

Top Bottom