• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L. SU-1 Dac listening fatigue, headache.

Eprpop26

Hi.

I ordered the S.M.S.L. SU-1 Dac based in all good reviews, maybe it could replace my current Dac which is an Arturia Minifuse 2 audio interface (both connected via USB since i dont have any other options in my gear), at least for listening to music. It sounds good in my system even though to my ears the Arturia Minifuse brings more detail and instruments separation. My problem with the SU-1 is the extreme fatigue and even a sharp headache everytime i use it for more than 10 minutes, with the Arturia i can sit for hours and enjoy my music without any problem.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Sorry for my broken English.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

I ordered the S.M.S.L. SU-1 Dac based in all good reviews, maybe it could replace my current Dac which is an Arturia Minifuse 2 audio interface (both connected via USB since i dont have any other options in my gear), at least for listening to music. It sounds good in my system even though to my ears the Arturia Minifuse brings more detail and instruments separation. My problem with the SU-1 is the extreme fatigue and even a sharp headache everytime i use it for more than 10 minutes, with the Arturia i can sit for hours and enjoy my music without any problem.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Sorry for my broken English.
Send it back.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i would say that the typical vendors for such devices would have a laugh at you trying to return something for physiological, nay psychological reasons but hey. try it on...

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one last week and put some time on it and didn't notice anything except it was really transparent, and no filter options to add treble rolloff. If your used to that it could be the change. I use the liquid platinum AKM4499 also, and the slow filter on that does curb the very high frequencies, and switching does make some other ones sound brighter by comparison. Equalizing is the only option if it's causing distress short of returning it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i would say that the typical vendors for such devices would have a laugh at you trying to return something for physiological, nay psychological reasons but hey. try it on...
Depends which territory. If bought from domestic retailer in the UK /EU and less than 14 days, reasons for the return are irrelevant. If overseas retailer or had it a while then I agree it's not going to work.

OP
E

Eprpop26

I had one last week and put some time on it and didn't notice anything except it was really transparent, and no filter options to add treble rolloff. If your used to that it could be the change. I use the liquid platinum AKM4499 also, and the slow filter on that does curb the very high frequencies, and switching does make some other ones sound brighter by comparison. Equalizing is the only option if it's causing distress short of returning it.
It sounds warmer than the Arturia Minifuse, maybe there is some sort of subsonic event that is causing me that fatigue.

Same thing happened to me with the Fossi Audio BT20A Pro class D amplifier, maybe i am allergic to chinese products.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
It sounds warmer than the Arturia Minifuse, maybe there is some sort of subsonic event that is causing me that fatigue.
Interesting, normally I see warmer associated with less listening fatigue, not more

Normally brighter is associated with listening fatigue

Especially in speakers world

OP
E

Eprpop26

I never understood the term "listening fatigue". Maybe you have anxiety, maybe you are tired, maybe you just don't feel like listening to music at that moment.
I am used to listening to music for long periods of time, but with this device i just feel sick very soon. It is like the motion sickness feeling.

Maybe i am just too sensible, but you never know with this cheap chinese products and their quality control.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There is no logical reason for this...

Normally DACs aren't "warm". Normally the only sound quality characteristic (if any) would be noise. A whine or hiss in the background might be "fatiguing" or annoying.

Almost all DACs (including he one built-into your phone or computer) have flat frequency response in the audio range and very low distortion.

I am used to listening to music for long periods of time, but with this device i just feel sick very soon. It is like the motion sickness feeling.
My guess is that this in not reliably repeatable in a proper blind, level-matched listening test.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Same thing happened to me with the Fossi Audio BT20A Pro class D amplifier, maybe i am allergic to chinese products.
We have seen similar cases before. It first starts with DACs starting to have their own sound, then Class D amps follow. At the last stage racisim starts to set in. It is usually caused by necrosis of cerebral cortex.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think people have become used to whatever they had in the past

and then get something that measures flat and they cant wrap their head around it

I was the same way with digital amps... now I have half a dozen of them... granted i prefer A/B but digital is fine

ostenisibly the SU1 is a simple $80 single board unit with nothing in it... no vol. no. amps. no screens no nothing

it CANNOT is making peoples' heads blow up as if its a Russian mind melter... the board pics are there... the combination of parts does not do that, cannot do what people are saying

unpluggged

Zek

Major Contributor
I was the same way with digital amps... now I have half a dozen of them... granted i prefer A/B but digital is fine
You probably meant D-class amplifiers - they are not digital but analog like amplifiers in A/B class.

Top Bottom