• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon - Non existing support

Moderate Dionysianism

The thread was renewed later: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/re...-too-many-failures-stopping-playback/240359/3
Are you using ASIO? Have you tried to disable the Roon output device (I assume it's the E50) for Windows?
1684317322854.png

I noticed that sometimes one audio driver can 'hijack' the output device, making it invisible to another. I had this with ASIO: if I played anything in Foobar (using ASIO4ALL), closed it, and then launched Roon (with it's own ASIO driver) during the same Windows session, it wouldn't recognize the DAC.

I tried disabling the device in ASIO4ALL, stopping the ASIO service, clearing Roon cache, stopping RAATServer - no success. Only a Windows reboot would help. This happened with Audinst HUD-MX1 and Topping D70S, doesn't seem hardware related.

Since then I separated my pipelines: the D70S is always disabled in Win and only used from Roon, and all the rest goes via the Audinst (which in turn is disabled in Roon).

Sorry if this misses your point, I'm guessing a bit here, given the limited context.

OP
Joemoonit

Joemoonit

Are you using ASIO? Have you tried to disable the Roon output device (I assume it's the E50) for Windows?
View attachment 286008

I noticed that sometimes one audio driver can 'hijack' the output device, making it invisible to another. I had this with ASIO: if I played anything in Foobar (using ASIO4ALL), closed it, and then launched Roon (with it's own ASIO driver) during the same Windows session, it wouldn't recognize the DAC.

I tried disabling the device in ASIO4ALL, stopping the ASIO service, clearing Roon cache, stopping RAATServer - no success. Only a Windows reboot would help. This happened with Audinst HUD-MX1 and Topping D70S, doesn't seem hardware related.

Since then I separated my pipelines: the D70S is always disabled in Win and only used from Roon, and all the rest goes via the Audinst (which in turn is disabled in Roon).

Sorry if this misses your point, I'm guessing a bit here, given the limited context.
Thank you for the reply. My E50 works with Wasapi and I have nothing enabled in Roon with ASIO, I only enabled the usb headphones Mpow and the E50. In windows the same two are enabled plus Realtek digital output. I agree with you that it's a matter of conflict, the thing that puzzles me is that everything worked for months (and ASIO also was enabled), the problem came out after the Roon update and the changes made then are permanent, I revrt Roon back both with backups (many of them....) then I tried to install the legacy version but there was no way to avoid the problem. If only someone from Roon had me informed about issues between Win and Roon I would have saved hours of troubles.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Waiting for the day a decent competitor arrives.
At the age of 68 there is not so much time left. It's not only that hearing detoriates, time is sort of running out.

In addition the current competition does not seem to be ready to cope with roon, nor do they intend to do so.

So, before seeing your money being eaten up by inflation, you might give it ro roon and enjoy while it lasts.

Moderate Dionysianism

Thank you for the reply. My E50 works with Wasapi and I have nothing enabled in Roon with ASIO, I only enabled the usb headphones Mpow and the E50. In windows the same two are enabled plus Realtek digital output. I agree with you that it's a matter of conflict, the thing that puzzles me is that everything worked for months (and ASIO also was enabled), the problem came out after the Roon update and the changes made then are permanent, I revrt Roon back both with backups (many of them....) then I tried to install the legacy version but there was no way to avoid the problem. If only someone from Roon had me informed about issues between Win and Roon I would have saved hours of troubles.

Yeah, I know how frustrating it is when your trusted setup starts acting up because of a post-update software bug. Two more things come to my mind:
  1. Have you tested with Roon outputting via ASIO instead of WASAPI after that update? Did it make any difference?
  2. Do you use the prioprietary drivers for the Mpow headset or the Topping? If that's the case, then you could try uninstalling them via Windows Device Manager, then rebooting and doing a test with just the Windows generic driver. AFAIK that means no ASIO, but the risk of conflicts should go down.

audiom3

I love Roon, but I HATE that you have to be internet-connected to play YOUR OWN STORED MUSIC. They put that in recently, and, naturally, I went through a service outage just afterwards.
That's not true at all. I use my router for inbound/outbound traffic only. My entire LAN is tied to a down-stream switch, so if the internet is down, I can still play my music or watch my movies stored locally on my servers. Just yesterday, ASUS (routers) and the internet were not playing together. There was some kind of major F up with ASUS and their auto-update (even those who had this feature OFF were still borked) with their routers. But I was able to listen to Roon and watch my local movies off my server just fine.

I would also add that I woke up this morning and no devices were connected to my router/internet (totally dead) but my streamer was still playing Roon just fine. What didn't work was the Roon remote. But that was an ASUS router issue more than anything. I have Roon radio shut off or it would try to grab files off Tidal. Obviously, that would be an issue with no internet.

Last edited:

PaulZH

That's not true at all. I use my router for inbound/outbound traffic only. My entire LAN is tied to a down-stream switch, so if the internet is down, I can still play my music or watch my movies stored locally on my servers. Just yesterday, ASUS (routers) and the internet were not playing together. There was some kind of major F up with ASUS and their auto-update (even those who had this feature OFF were still borked) with their routers. But I was able to listen to Roon and watch my local movies off my server just fine.

I would also add that I woke up this morning and no devices were connected to my router/internet (totally dead) but my streamer was still playing Roon just fine. What didn't work was the Roon remote. But that was an ASUS router issue more than anything. I have Roon radio shut off or it would try to grab files off Tidal. Obviously, that would be an issue with no internet.
Nope, from he lead developer “I keep saying it: Roon 2.0 requires an internet connection. That’s not a quip. It’s not a witty remark. It’s being as direct and straight to the point as possible.”

audiom3

Nope, from he lead developer “I keep saying it: Roon 2.0 requires an internet connection. That’s not a quip. It’s not a witty remark. It’s being as direct and straight to the point as possible.”
I don't know how my setup manages to stay on then. I'm always current on software updates. It was literally running last night for 9+ hours after my router disconnected all clients. Strange.

Sumaco

Yesterday I had to reboot my PC and fight to have Roon back to work. I was successful eventually. I'm not an expert but my feeling is that the problem is coming from Windows more than Roon, I had to run the windows audio problems assistant that did something with the driver for my Topping E50 and Roon is now working again.
I think that Roon is by far the best software of its kind (otherwise I wouldn't buy a lifetime license), what I'm pointing out is the lack of support. If I'm correct and this is a clash between Roon and Windows drivers their programmers should have find the solution in no time.
Have you updated your Topping drivers? Perhaps this may play nicer with Windows if there have been recent updates.
https://www.topping.audio/newsinfo/820095.html

nmolnar

I would suggest moving your Roon Core (Roon Server) off of a Windows PC and on to a dedicated server. I use a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i5 https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i5 . This is a dedicated Roon server running a version of Linux fine-tuned for Roon as well as some ancillary products. This platform is very stable and does not suffer from issues such as you described with frequent software updates. Using a Windows PC for a Roon server is looking for issues.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I would suggest moving your Roon Core (Roon Server) off of a Windows PC and on to a dedicated server. I use a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i5 https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i5 . This is a dedicated Roon server running a version of Linux fine-tuned for Roon as well as some ancillary products. This platform is very stable and does not suffer from issues such as you described with frequent software updates. Using a Windows PC for a Roon server is looking for issues.
I agree with running Roon via a dedicated box with Roon ROCK installed as the OS. While Roon “can” run from Windows and MacOS, I’ve found it’s much more stable on a separate Rock OS appliance.

Whether you want to go with a Nucleus, sonicTransporter or Roon approved Intel NUC is a personal decision. I went with a NUC and it took some fiddling to get it all working, but it’s been rock solid since I set it up. When my current NUC fails, I’ll probably just go with a Nucleus - getting too old and grumpy to deal with fiddly stuff anymore.

OP
Joemoonit

Joemoonit

Hello, this is something I've been thinking about for some time. The issue is: how I will control this PC? Another screen and keyboard in my already cluttered desk? Also, sometimes I listen to music from other PC sources and that would be no more possible. With the last setup everything's fine but I haven't reboot my PC yet. The difference is that now when I power on my DAC (it's connected on a power strip with the other pieces of my stereo) I have to manually turn it on while before the signal coming from the PC automatically made it exit standby mode. Also when I start other sources from my PC (youtube i.e.) I need to change the sound source in Windows. I suppose that this means a different way to handle sounds from Windows. I'm not in the mood to restart my PC to test it, last time I lost 2 hours to have Roon back to normal.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I don't know how my setup manages to stay on then. I'm always current on software updates. It was literally running last night for 9+ hours after my router disconnected all clients. Strange.
My understanding is that Roon checks licence and certification periodically. If that’s the case it will eventually halt.

Trey should state clearly somewhere how long you get. As I don’t use it I’ve never worried about it, of course.

Aynsley

My understanding is that Roon checks licence and certification periodically. If that’s the case it will eventually halt.
Not eventually but immediately. I was in two minds about extending my first one-year subscription and let it lapse. Roon stopped working within hours and I was invited to re-subscribe, which I did. I won't be subscribing for a third year. The cost has gone up significantly and the metadata that Roon pulls from various sources is often incorrect. I may go back to Audirvana, for which I still have an old licence.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
It's not the platform, it's room that is causing the problems.
I may go back to Audirvana, for which I still have an old licence.
Good luck with that. That old version is no longer maintained (got one of these, too). New version is either subscription or crippled (no streaming) perpetual license.

pvanosta

Hello, this is something I've been thinking about for some time. The issue is: how I will control this PC? Another screen and keyboard in my already cluttered desk? Also, sometimes I listen to music from other PC sources and that would be no more possible. With the last setup everything's fine but I haven't reboot my PC yet. The difference is that now when I power on my DAC (it's connected on a power strip with the other pieces of my stereo) I have to manually turn it on while before the signal coming from the PC automatically made it exit standby mode. Also when I start other sources from my PC (youtube i.e.) I need to change the sound source in Windows. I suppose that this means a different way to handle sounds from Windows. I'm not in the mood to restart my PC to test it, last time I lost 2 hours to have Roon back to normal.
FWIW, I second the recommendation of moving Roon Core (the server) off of your windows computer and onto a dedicated box. I have been running Roon ROCK on a dedicated fanless NUC, while the files are stored on my Synology NAS. I can control Roon / Music playback from any device in the house as long as it is connected to the same Wifi SSID (or to the LAN via ethernet). All you need is roon remote (on a PC or laptop) or the roon APP (on a mobile device or tablet). I have the NUC set up in the living room / main listening area. The NAS is two floors up. In my home office, I also have a Raspberry Pi4 set up as a roon endpoint, feeding my home office system. All of this works fine and can be controlled from my laptops, my desktop, my iphone and my ipad, from anywhere in the house. Whenever Roon gets slow or gets stuck (memory leak builds up or new release acts up), I just restart the server (ROCK) on the NUC and let it do its thing. My library on the NAS is 610,000 tracks

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello everybody, I bought a lifetime license for Roon, it worked very well until a Roon update that messed up something with Windows. I use my PC as core, and after that Roon update the message "Too many failures. Stopping playback" appeared and Roon stopped working. That happens everytime I have to restart my PC, every time I've been able to have Roon back to normal after many on/off, plug/unplug, disable/enable applied to every possible settings. I spare you the details, I spent hours on this. The issue I'm exposing here is the non existing support from Roon. Apart for a girl that have no clue about drivers and software but only pointed out that their policy is "no refund whatsoever" I only had one answer in the forum from a tech guy who asked me many questions, I answered all of them without any feedback - more than 2 weeks ago. Nothing more, they didn't even try to understand what's going on. This is not acceptable from a company that asks a premium price for their product. You pay and then you are on your own. I feel stupid for having trust them and my advice to all of you is to stay away at least to the lifetime licence option.
Just a question.
Do you have any software installed for your "gaming" keyboard?
Once ago I had similar problems with Logitech or gigabyte software that was meant to manage some keyboard features like lighting etc.

And it was this software causing the issue. It's strange but after I uninstalled it everything went to normal.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Top Bottom