• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon - Non existing support

pvanosta

My point about my library was merely to point out that the system works reliably (most of the time as with any decent software) in spite of the database size. Deezer and Tidal have no real impact on the load on the Roon system as they are on demand streams. Local files do however.

Aynsley

It's not the platform, it's room that is causing the problems.

Good luck with that. That old version is no longer maintained (got one of these, too). New version is either subscription or crippled (no streaming) perpetual license.
You're absolutely correct. I'm stuck on the abandoned Mac Version 3.5.50. It has a host of bugs that will never be addressed, now that the developer is focused on the new branch.

There's no way I'm going to pay for the subscription model, and I'm still debating with myself whether the one-time purchase version is worth it. The streaming option I don't need. My dilemma is whether I want to go back to the Audirvana interface.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I agree with running Roon via a dedicated box with Roon ROCK installed as the OS. While Roon “can” run from Windows and MacOS, I’ve found it’s much more stable on a separate Rock OS appliance.

I'm running Roon just fine of a M1 MacBook Air that sits on my desktop. External music library on a thunderbolt 4 Nvme enclosure, connected to a thunderbolt 4 hub. MacBook is connected with LAN. (Belkin thunderbolt).

DSD512 upsampling, convolution filters, PEQ etc all no problem even with 2 Zones.

All that while doing stuff on the MacBook as well.

A rock core is obviously nice because it's just running but it's really not necessary anymore.

I have that MacBook sometimes up for weeks , and roon is always open in the background. (You can run roon server without the GUI too).

I would only run a roon rock if I needed a system with lots of Ram for a massive library.
But I'm sitting at 800gb of local files and there is no difference in performance versus no local files.

=====

Roon is a amazing software, but I noticed most people don't even use half the features.

Just don't complain in the roon forum, don't post facts about their partners (hardware issues, mqa scam etc).

I got already suspended for nothing that wouldn't even end up in a friendly warning on other forums.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
My point about my library was merely to point out that the system works reliably (most of the time as with any decent software) in spite of the database size. Deezer and Tidal have no real impact on the load on the Roon system as they are on demand streams. Local files do however.
System load is generated by metadata retrieval and maintainance, no matter files are streamed or local. So once you build a large library with deezer, tidal or whatever by adding albums to roon you face the same problems.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
For those running Windows looking for relief, here is a trivial powershell script that stops/starts (restart) roon server.

Just these two lines:

Stop-Process -Name “RoonServer”
Start-Process -Filepath “-yourpath-\RoonServer”

Everyone who wants to use this needs to replace -yourpath- with the actual path to RoonServer.exe

I have scheduled this to run once a day a 8.00am, so roon is ready for the better part of the day.

Restart takes less than five minutes before the system is ready access qobuz and play a tune.

Not sure if daily restarts do interfere with roon housekeeping.

OP
Joemoonit

Joemoonit

Just a question.
Do you have any software installed for your "gaming" keyboard?
Once ago I had similar problems with Logitech or gigabyte software that was meant to manage some keyboard features like lighting etc.

And it was this software causing the issue. It's strange but after I uninstalled it everything went to normal.
Hello, I have a Logitech MX keys, the only software installed is the usual keyboard setup. I point out again that everything was ok with Roon before an update. Now I just had my PC rebooted and I'm getting the same Too many failures message again. I tried to uninstall Topping drivers but the DAC was not found so I reinstalled them, it works with youtube and other software, only Roon is stuck with the same error message again. Now I installed Roon in a very small PC - Minis Forum - that I had in a drwer, abandoned. It works perfectly....

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I'm running Roon just fine of a M1 MacBook Air that sits on my desktop. External music library on a thunderbolt 4 Nvme enclosure, connected to a thunderbolt 4 hub. MacBook is connected with LAN. (Belkin thunderbolt).

DSD512 upsampling, convolution filters, PEQ etc all no problem even with 2 Zones.

All that while doing stuff on the MacBook as well.

A rock core is obviously nice because it's just running but it's really not necessary anymore.

I have that MacBook sometimes up for weeks , and roon is always open in the background. (You can run roon server without the GUI too).

I would only run a roon rock if I needed a system with lots of Ram for a massive library.
But I'm sitting at 800gb of local files and there is no difference in performance versus no local files.

=====

Roon is a amazing software, but I noticed most people don't even use half the features.

Just don't complain in the roon forum, don't post facts about their partners (hardware issues, mqa scam etc).

I got already suspended for nothing that wouldn't even end up in a friendly warning on other forums.
Which is exactly why I noted that Roon “can” run on a Windows PC or Mac, but added the qualifier “I’ve found” - indicates my personal experience, which may or may not be the experience shared by other forum members.

ampguy

This too
I've had the same problem intermittently with the streaming services. Signing out and in again on the streaming services has solved it.

I love Roon, but I HATE that you have to be internet-connected to play YOUR OWN STORED MUSIC. They put that in recently, and, naturally, I went through a service outage just afterwards.
Yes, that's one reason why I keep a few CD players around. Long time Roon user, a couple of years ago, we had a week of no internet, and really loved the feature of being able to play my library. My solution to stability, is simply dedicate a power efficient linux server for the core, and go wired everywhere you can. I use an i3-10100 mini-itx. More powerful than most of those trying to use i7 NUC builds, and even more powerful than those dedicated Nucleus devices, last time I checked.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have reported a memory leak issue on Mac to Roon many times. Seems to only happen if you have a large local media collection but this is ridiculous. My solution, quit Roon after every use but that's a pretty crappy way to manage software that is so pricey.

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 3.02.33 AM.jpg

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Roon best lives in an isolated Linux box. I have it running in an isolated win11pro box and even that is troublesome. Even 11pro reserves the right to do updates now and then, reboots and the Roon server service does not always comes buck up or even needs a reinstall. That is a bit cumbersome and my children make jokes about my setup as Spotify seems to do the same for much less effort. My feeling is, that Roon will fold one day as the bite-the-dirt-audio-macho is dying out.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon best lives in an isolated Linux box. I have it running in an isolated win11pro box and even that is troublesome. Even 11pro reserves the right to do updates now and then, reboots and the Roon server service does not always comes buck up or even needs a reinstall. That is a bit cumbersome and my children make jokes about my setup as Spotify seems to do the same for much less effort. My feeling is, that Roon will fold one day as the bite-the-dirt-audio-macho is dying out.
I run ROCK on a NUC (in two locations) and have had zero issues with stability or performance. I love the software functionality, it’s just the offline access that ticks me off.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is great, just a bit expensive those two NUC. My Win11 thingy was 200€ and that is the most I will spend.

khensu

That is great, just a bit expensive those two NUC. My Win11 thingy was 200€ and that is the most I will spend.
There’s no need to buy a current generation NUC. They are quite expensive and are overkill for all but the most demanding requirements (i.e. lots of complex DSP, sample rate conversions, etc.) I’m running it on a NUC7i3BNH (7th gen Core i3) and it works great. I recently picked up a used 8th gen Core i3-based NUC off ebay for around $180.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I moved the Roon core from my desktop to my Synology NAS, and haven't had any issues at all. The NAS is always on anyway, so it's nice to just open the app and not have to think about whether the desktop is on or not.

I've never regretted buying the lifetime license back in the day.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never regretted buying the lifetime license back in the day.
Yes, I bought three some time ago. One for each of my music-loving kids and one for myself.

Zensō

Major Contributor
While I’m sure the OP appreciates the great support people here are providing, it only goes to show that official Roon support is terribly lacking. Personally, after a frustrating year of multiple unresolved support tickets, I finally let my subscription lapse.

steve59

Major Contributor
I struggled to get the nucleus to see any music in my pc's i'tunes library and when I went on their message board to ask for help I hadn't noticed my caps lock was on, lol I got scolded for yelling. The folk there were trying to help me, went so far as to make the dealer that sold me the nucleus be held accountable for getting me up and running. My problem was with windows firewall and the simple solution was to purchase a usb hard drive to load my music on and plug into the nucleus. At the time I thought a lifetime membership only meant the life of the company would end as soon as new members quit joining so I use the annual service in hopes enough of us keep enough revenue stream trickling in to support the software. On the occasion my system bogs down a restart squares it away. I tried streaming thru tidal and would be lucky to get through a song let alone an entire album. I'm happy with roon, but agree it isn't always smooth with a windows core.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I’m sure the OP appreciates the great support people here are providing, it only goes to show that official Roon support is terribly lacking. Personally, after a frustrating year of multiple unresolved support tickets, I finally let my subscription lapse.
You may notice that I provided both the good and the bad - i.e. an honest review. I don’t think anyone here is under an obligation to be a monotonous cheering or booing section. Perhaps that is not what you meant, but it seems a bit like it.

Zensō

Major Contributor
You may notice that I provided both the good and the bad - i.e. an honest review. I don’t think anyone here is under an obligation to be a monotonous cheering or booing section. Perhaps that is not what you meant, but it seems a bit like it.
I wasn’t responding to your post specifically, sorry if you got that impression.

I’m definitely a member of the monotonous booing section when it comes to Roon; I feel obligated to share after the runaround I received. In any case, there are always plenty of Roon faithful around to balance the conversation.

Last edited:

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
While their support is crap, it does work well enough, try a clean install on a fresh OS

Top Bottom